Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalling for TWO MONTHS.

I am beyond frustrated. Bypass 1/14/20

highest weight: 276lbs

surgery weight: 248lbs

current weight: 214lbs

I have not lost a single pound or inch in TWO stinking months. I have changed my habits so much, I’ve increased my exercise. I’m now walking 3 times a day and putting in a total of almost 4 miles a day. I’m getting at least 80 grams of Protein a day. At least 100 oz of Water a day. My daily carb intake stays below 90 grams a day. My daily fat intake stays below 60 grams a day. I stay completely away from sugar. I swapped all the fruit I eat in a day with vegetables. I’m just at a loss. I’ve stayed away from the scale for two weeks and still nothing. I feel broken and like I’m a rare case that the surgery just doesn’t work for me. I’m at a loss.

I have not lost a single pound or inch in TWO stinking months. I have changed my habits so much, I’ve increased my exercise. I’m now walking 3 times a day and putting in a total of almost 4 miles a day. I’m getting at least 80 grams of Protein a day. At least 100 oz of Water a day. My daily carb intake stays below 90 grams a day. My daily fat intake stays below 60 grams a day. I stay completely away from sugar. I swapped all the fruit I eat in a day with vegetables. I’m just at a loss. I’ve stayed away from the scale for two weeks and still nothing. I feel broken and like I’m a rare case that the surgery just doesn’t work for me. I’m at a loss.

If you had surgery 2 months ago you have lost 34 pounds. Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had surgery close to 3 months ago now. The first 3 weeks I dropped over 30 pounds but since those first 3 weeks I haven’t dropped an inch or a pound.

35 minutes ago, AshleeEppley said:

32 minutes ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

If you had surgery 2 months ago you have lost 34 pounds. Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had surgery close to 3 months ago now. The first 3 weeks I dropped over 30 pounds but since those first 3 weeks I haven’t dropped an inch or a pound.

although most of us are told not to count calories the first few months (we're told to focus mostly on Protein and fluids), how many calories are you averaging a day?

It's not unusual to stall for two or three weeks, but three months is a lot - it sounds like you might be in maintenance.

Edited by catwoman7

90g of carbs is still quite high. Have you tried cutting back on carbs? That might help kickstart your weight loss again. I'm only 3 weeks out but I'm trying to stay under 40 net carbs/day (although I'm not always successful at that). Also, have you talked to your surgeon/nutritionist? If you stopped losing weight then there may be something else that is impacting this.

9 hours ago, AshleeEppley said:

I’m getting at least 80 grams of Protein a day. At least 100 oz of Water a day. My daily carb intake stays below 90 grams a day. My daily fat intake stays below 60 grams a day. I stay completely away from sugar. I swapped all the fruit I eat in a day with vegetables.

Forget about sugar, carbs, fat, Protein. How many calories are you eating?

1 hour ago, summerset said:

Forget about sugar, carbs, fat, Protein. How many calories are you eating?

About 1200 a day. I was only getting around 800-900 before but someone in my bariatric group suggested I increase my daily calorie intake

What type of foods are you eating? I had surgery 1/7 and there is no way I can get close to 1200 calories at this point...not to mention 90 grams of carbs. I have to struggle to get 500 calories at this point.

1 hour ago, AshleeEppley said:

About 1200 a day. I was only getting around 800-900 before but someone in my bariatric group suggested I increase my daily calorie intake

I'm not sure you'd necessarily gain on 1200, but I didn't consistently go over 1000 calories per day until I was around a year out. That 800 or so that you mentioned that you were on before was about where I was for the first several months. I don't know if that's what's going on, but a lot of us aren't getting that many calories that early out. Are you pretty sure that's what you're getting - as in you're measuring/weighing things so you know for sure?

2 hours ago, AshleeEppley said:

What does your nutritionist/surgeon want you to have?

Your carbs are higher than most people's teams would suggest (so early on- I can eat around that much almost 3 yrs out to maintain my weight/indulge) so that may not work for you right now. But the bottom line is sometimes the professionals recommendations along with trial & error will work better than anecdotal info from a peer.

If you were tracking during the time you were consuming 800 vs 1200 cals check the trends in your weightloss. Then talk to your team.

Try lower or Keto level macros for carbs, after consulting with your team of course, and see if there is any difference after about 2 weeks.

Good Luck ❤

2 hours ago, AshleeEppley said:

Did they recommend upping the calories because of the stall?

It's hard to tell if an amount of calories is too high or too low. There is way too much variety between persons, even if they have the same height, gender, weight and even activity level.

Sometimes playing around with macronutrients helps or switching up exercise routine. Some people benefit from IF, some from eating at maintenance level for a while before lowering calories again (you might want to take a look at the MATADOR study regarding this).

In the end there is only trial and error. If it works, it's all good. If it doesn't work, you need to change something.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:07 PM, AshleeEppley said:

I went through the same thing. And all the advise I got was the same. Stalls happen, and most people when they spoke about timelines of stalls were the same. Its the waiting it out, that is hard, its the believing that it is all part of the process. Its in the desperation of thinking Oh God I went through all this and I am going to fail and then starting to lose again and feeling relief like no bodies business. Stay the course the stalls are important. they Help your body cope with the weight loss. I had a stall for almost 6 months, I thought I was done. And Started loosing again.

Good Luck.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:07 PM, AshleeEppley said:

wait you are only less than 3 months out?

I’m a relatively short woman, and I couldn’t lose weight at 1,200 calories (pre-surgery). To lose any weight at all, I need to be well below that number.

What is your height and bone structure? If you’re petite, you may need to lower your calories.