Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey y'all

I had surgery on 12/17/2018 my starting weight was 282 on the day of surgery I weight in at 258 and currently around 168-169. Currently, I eat around 1,000- 1100 calories, mostly low carb (less than 20 net carbs), and drink 64 oz of Water plus 80grams of Protein. For some reason I'm not losing weight I work out 4-6days a week. For someone reason, I feel like a failure for not losing more weight. I'm 5'4 and would love to be 145-150lbs. Any advice would be much appreciated at this point.

Is this a stall or have you been at 168-169 for awhile? If the latter, unfortunately, 1000-1100 calories must be your maintenance level. You can always lose more weight, but doing so means cutting calories or increasing your exercise.

I had a lot more stalls the closer I got to my goal. I kept losing weight, though, until I was about 20 months out. It was just deadly slow after the first year. So if it's a stall, your weight loss will eventually start up again.

Edited by catwoman7

I've been in the 168-170s for since January

12 hours ago, Itsjackie said:

Any advice would be much appreciated at this point.

Since you know how many calories you're eating in a day I guess you're tracking? How do you track? Volume or weight?

What kind of exercise are you doing and how long does it last?

I use my fitness pal. I would weigh my food out. I do 30mins on the elliptical I use to do weight, but I find I gained more weight by doing it.

Hm, I'd get the weight training going again and mix up exercise a bit. What's also helping some people is playing around with macros a bit.

2 minutes ago, Itsjackie said:

I use my fitness pal. I would weigh my food out. I do 30mins on the elliptical I use to do weight, but I find I gained more weight by doing it.

that weight gain you get from weight training is temporary. Or temporary as long as you don't increase your eating. It's just muscle development (and as you know, muscle weighs more than fat). Having more muscle increases your metabolism, so if your calories stay the same, you'll eventually start LOSING weight. Or so they say...

Thank you so much. I was starting to get worried and frustrated. The last time I weight trained was 2 days ago and gained like 2-3lbs

Don't worry it's just your muscles hoarding more glycogen plus the (normal) inflammation effect that occurs after weight training and that draws some additional Fluid into them.

Just make sure you're not training the same muscle groups two days in a row. It's important to give enough recovery time so the muscles can grow/repair.

Edited by summerset

Would you recommend BCAA?

9 minutes ago, Itsjackie said:

Thank you so much. I was starting to get worried and frustrated. The last time I weight trained was 2 days ago and gained like 2-3lbs

yea - you won't develop muscle in a couple of days - it would have just been the extra fluids that Summerset mentioned. I usually notice my muscles have gotten bigger after about three weeks.

I'd never heard of BCAA until you mentioned it - I had to look it up.

So basically, it's normal for me to see weight gain with doing muscle work out?

As long as it's temporary. How often do you weigh yourself?

---

You could also try intermittent fasting to get weight loss going again. No guarantee here as well, of course.

yes - normal. But temporary as long as you don't increase your calorie intake. I've read that if it's more than five pounds or it lasts longer than a month, then you need to look at your calorie intake.

Got it thanks