Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, sleeved in March 3, so it's been 3 weeks. I've lost a total of 16lbs. I'm trying to be happy about it, but honestly, I thought it would go quicker. I'm measuring my food, sticking to 2 premier shakes a day, sticking to lean Proteins, measuring my 1.5 oz servings. Drinking my Water. I lost 9 lbs the first week, 4 lbs the second, and 3 lbs the third week. I'm averaging between 60 and 70 grams of Protein and about 600 to 650 calories a day. I think my calories are too high. Suggestions?

19lb in three weeks is great, some people lose more some people lose less. It's hard not to do, but comparing our weight loss at this this with others really robs of us joy. If your doctor didn't give any expectations of rate of weight loss at this perhaps you are placing undue pressure onself by expecting to have lost weight quicker?

I was advised my my doctor and dietician not to worry so much about weight loss in the first month or so, body is still healing, lots of inflammation, hormones as well as people progress through the food phases there will be days or even a week or so without weight loss.

While it may feel concerning that weight loss appears to be slowing down, it is still only early stages and once your body heals and you are more incidentally active hopefully things will improve as long as you are following your post op guidelines. Is your doctor and/or dietician happy with your progress so far? You will find many posts on here about the 'three or four week stall' a lot of people experience it.

I think 16 pounds is great for three weeks! I've only lost 10 since my surgery on the same day, but I'm not worried about it. I was looking at my weight loss averages from when I had the sleeve 3 years ago and I averaged between 7-15 pounds per month (I was about the same weight you were at starting weight). That, combined with my pre-op weight loss (22 pounds), meant that by November (10 months out) I had lost 100 pounds. I still wasn't at goal weight then, but I was happy with my progress. Of course, after that, I derailed, but that's another story.

Remember, you probably didn't gain 100+ pounds in 6 months, you are unlikely to lose that much in the same amount of time. Some people do, but they are either male (tend to lose weight faster), or started at a higher weight, or are genetically pre-disposed to lose weight faster than others.

7 hours ago, Katheryn0303 said:

Suggestions?

Do the math and be patient. 1 kg of body fat contains about 7300 kcal. These apps. 7300 kcal must be burnt to get rid of 1 kg of body fat.

Even if you wouldn't eat at all and your TDEE would be 2500 kcal you'd still need 3 days to burn 1 kg of body fat.

I'm averaging between 60 and 70 grams of Protein and about 600 to 650 calories a day. I think my calories are too high.

No, they're not.

Here I go again My Favorit post

So lets just say MATH THIS AND MAKE IT FACTUAL

So you are lossing about 20 pounds a month. March 3-26

So In 3 months you will lose about 60

In Six months 120

in one year 240

in 10 years 2400

STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF ALL THE TIME! This is a journey to get healthy not a sprint to lose weight. Enjoy it and yes you are doing well

Edited by AJ Tylo

The slower the better sometimes. It will all come off in the end. Focus on the day to day eating and even though its coming off slow you will see the long term results over time.

I lost 16 lbs the first MONTH, and I started out way heavier than you. I should also add that I ended up losing 100% of my excess weight.

the only factor you really have any control over is your food intake, and it sounds like you're doing fine with that. The other things that influence rate of weight loss - like age, gender, metabolic rate, starting BMI - you don't have control over. So just sit tight, stick to your plan, and don't worry. In the long run, your level of commitment is what's going to cause you to succeed (or not), not your rate of weight loss. Besides, there's nothing wrong with losing 16 lbs the first three weeks. Although I don't have research stats on this, I've been on these boards for several years. I would say a majority of us lose 15-25 lbs the first month, so you're right on target.

P.S. as Summerset said, 600-650 calories/day at this juncture is not too much. You are doing fine. Stay off the scale if you have to - and quit worrying!

Edited by catwoman7

I was sleeved on 3/3 as well and I’m down 14 pounds. I wanted to lose faster as well but I’m happy it’s working. Slow and steady wins the race per all the parables in childhood. ❤️ Good luck and keep up the great work! It will work for both of us as long as we keep putting in the work.

Quit watchin My 600lb Life and you will be much happier. When was the last time you ever lost 16lbs in 3 weeks? Congrats.

First of all, congratulations on your decision to change your life and on your wonderful weight loss!

I can empathize 110% as I wrote almost an identical post around the three week mark. I was so frantic that this wasn't going to work for me, and it would fail like so many attempts to lose weight before. The weight wasn't coming off and I was angry and depressed.

This group answered in much the same way, and it helped me through a difficult time.

It is frustrating as hell, because you are making sacrifices and following the guidelines but it feels like it's not working.

The truth is, though, that it IS working and the amount of weight you lost is truly something to be happy about.

It is also very true that even though you may feel good, your body is not fully healed inside until 6 to 8 weeks post-surgery, at least. That means inflammation, even though you don't see it. So, the scale will not be accurate for a while.

As frustrating as it is, stay the course, keep following your doctor's recommendations, WALK as much as you can, and hide the scale! I obsessively weighed myself every day, and had to hide my scale to force myself to weight only once a week, at the same time of day.

Also, use your measuring tape, as you might not see a loss in weight, but you may see a loss in inches.

Finally, have patience. That is the hardest thing for me, as I just want to lose all the weight at once. Realistically, though, I know that won't happen, and it is a gradual process.

Six months from now, you will look in the mirror and see a different person--promise!

56 minutes ago, amboyle728 said:

It is also very true that even though you may feel good, your body is not fully healed inside until 6 to 8 weeks post-surgery, at least.

It's actually closer to 4 months...

Count yourself lucky. 11weeks post op weight loss 30lbs. People I know who are at slimming club have lost more than me. Calm down.

20lbs in 3 weeks for me so I think you may be on the right track. I thought the same thing too don’t worry!

21 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Rembember to keep your eye on the price, but also on measurings tapes and pictures, not the scale.

Also clothes! I keep at least one item from my pre-surgery days, and a selection of other items that I as I am able to fit into them. When I feel that nothing is changing, I line them up, and have a look at the difference. It gives me encouragement, seeing clear evidence that my body is truly changing! I also have certain "wish" outfits, that are still too small, but every couple of weeks I try them on anyway, and I can see that I am getting closer to having them fit, and that also gives me encouragement :)