Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So reassure me I won’t be bald forever

I had a massive clump fall out my head and I’m 4/5 months out. Does your hair grow back because I’m soooo close to cutting it off I mean my hair line is like nonexistent and I can see it’s really bad. I’m drinking Biotin and have the Shampoo and conditioner for it I have been using and taking months before surgery but it won’t stop!! Should I cut it in a bob and wait for it to grow out and will it grow back?!? I want your input cause right now I’m trying not to freak out but I’m half way their with scissors in my hands.

I know it’s really scary to have handful of hair falling out everyday but It will grow back.

My hair started to fall out at about the 3 month point and it’s taken until 9.5mths for the Hair loss to slow down & to notice regrowth. This coincided with being in maintenance & being far more vigilant about meeting a daily minimum Protein intake of 1g per kg body weight. I try to get in 1.3+g per kg body weight at least twice a week but it’s still a struggle for me to consume this much protein in a day. (The more active you are for more protein you need to consume.)

I cut my long hair to just above my shoulders at about month 5.5. I also take silica & collagen to strengthen the new Hair growth.

Plus I think you need to give your body a chance to settle into your new eating patterns.

It's common for hair to fall out. It will grow back! When I had the sleeve done back in 2017 I did the same as you - started supplements months before surgery and used lots of Biotin shampoos and conditioners. It still fell out. I kept my hair in a short bob during that time - the Hair loss didn't seem as bad as with long hair, and once the hair started growing back it made sense to have a shorter hairstyle to manage those shorter hair until they grew long enough to fit the hairstyle.

As others have said, it's common to experience Hair loss after ANY surgery.

Mine started at about 3 or 4 months and seemed to go on forever. I wasn't worried until I could really see the thinning in my scalp. At the time, I had close to shoulder-length hair and I found that the length seemed to make it look worse because the weight of the hair was pulling it down a bit and "showing off" the scalp. So, I cut it into a short bob.

I had always taken a Hair, Skin, and Nails Vitamin, but went into a bit of overdrive at the 1st sign of hair loss. I started doing scalp treatments, oil massages, even tried rice Water rinses. I can't say that any of those things made a HUGE difference, but after another 3 or 4 months I noticed baby hairs and regrowth.

I saw on another posting about hair loss that some people's hair never grows back the same. Today, my hair is about the same as it was pre-surgery. I have always had fine, thin hair. Having children dealt the biggest blow to my mane and it never recovered. I'm honestly tired of fighting it and recently got a hair topper. Best thing I ever did. I no longer have to worry about strategically styling my hair to lessen the appearance of the thinning. I highly recommend it!

yes - Hair loss happens to almost all of us, and it can happen after any surgery, not just WLS (but I'm guessing it's more commonly seen in WLS patients because we're taking in so few calories those first few months). And it will stop and grow back.

Some people say they've had luck with product X, Y, or Z - but many will say they didn't do a thing.

A couple months after my surgery I had the same thing happen. It was falling out like crazy. Thankfully it slowed down to normal Hair loss and I’m starting to get some regrowth. I’m waiting to cut my hair until I have some length on the regrowth (right now I’m just trying to hide the regrowth because it looks like fly aways). Right now my hair stylist and I are treating them very carefully and making sure to give it as much love as possible. I’m making sure to take all my prescribed supplements and get as much Protein as I can.