Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can only tolerate baby spoons of mushy foods and then I develop Hiccups

(((so sorry this was meant for the bypass post op section!)))

Hello everybody - I'm SO sorry for continually asking "is this normal" constantly. It's just that this new pouch is way more stressful than my bad was, and it's all new to me!

So I had my RNY on 3/12/20 - On my week post op appointment I was supposed to eat an egg (made any way I wanted, I chose poached), I got almost all of it down, but by the time I was at that point the egg was cold...BLAH!

So the doc gives me clearance to eat mushy soft foods as the next stage, I tried the ricotta bake, and didn't really like it...plus it got stuck and I had to relieve myself of it...

Later on that evening, I tried a scrambled egg - I thought that I was going to die! The pain in my chest was almost exactly like it was when food got stuck at the band. I ended up getting rid of SOME of it, but the one or two bites that stayed in me, took HOURS to leave my tummy. In those hours, I could not drink anything.

I also got these strange spasm hiccoughs...not regular hiccoughs, it's like the pressure on my chest/esophagus was causing these long slow hiccough - just one or two of these happened but they are definitely odd, both in feeling and in sound.

As far as my food consumption goes, I've got toddler silverware and pretty ramekins where I measure everything at no more than a ½ cup serving. Yet I can only manage a bite or two, and I'm either full, or the stuck puppy comes back to visit. I'm also forcing myself to eat, as I have barely any hunger. My concern for me eating and having it take hours to go down my tummy is I m not drinking during this time, then I get backlogged, and panic at the catch up at the end of the day both in food (calories), and Water.< br />
Will all this crazy stop once I heal more?

Edited by GAjeepGirl

You're only a week post-op and already eating eggs? That might be a little fast - and clearly it is since you are either in some kind of discomfort or have the hiccups which means you are overeating (!). I had my surgery on March 3rd and was on full liquids and purees for 2 weeks - so blended Soups, cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed/pureed veggies, soft tofu, etc. - all that. Now that I'm on week 3 I have started with soft/mushy foods. I tried the ricotta bake but that was a disaster - clearly I'm (hopefully temporarily) lactose intolerant (very common for bypass patients!), so I'll be avoiding any primarily dairy-based foods for a while. I tried some of Shelly's Egg Bites this week and they've been going down quite well. Canned tuna has also been a good option for me (I mix in a little shredded cheese and add some seasonings, warm it up just enough to soften the cheese).

Here's the thing - just because you CAN eat something, doesn't mean you HAVE to - if it is causing any kind of problem, just refrain from eating it for a week, and try that food again later. Stay on full liquids, or add different kind of mushies like the ones I mentioned above. And the less liquid it is, the less you should eat of it, at least in the beginning. So if you can drink 1/4-1/2 cup of liquids at a time, your food intake should be 1/8c. Try that - you may have to have more "mini-meals" but it's better than waiting hours for the discomfort to clear so that you can your liquids and/or other food in.

Edited by biginjapan

As said above I'd wait 1 more week before eating. Concentrate on fluids and Protein Drinks.

The hiccups you describe I call hiccburps and they can be loud and hurt a bit, slow down your intake.

I have terrible lactose intolerance now so might be why i hated the ricotta bake, when i have dairy it is like i am having severe dumping syndrome!

There is no rush to be on solids your main focus needs to be fluids and Protein, so take a deep relaxing breath and let your body heal and increase solids slowly x

intolerance to eggs is not uncommon after bariatric surgery. Most people who have it can eventually eat them again, though - but I'd lay off them for awhile.

not being hungry is also super common. That's one of the things that make it easy to lose weight the first few months. Hunger comes back for most of us sometime during the first year, though. Mine came back at five months out.

@GAjeepGirl I’m 3 weeks post op and still on the mushy, soft foods phase. I may stay here a little longer than next week. I’m okay with eggs. I’m not okay with anything dairy based except cottage cheese. I agree with everyone else take it slow, maybe go back to full liquids for a few days and get your nutrition from Protein Shakes. I hope you feel better soon.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I tried the Ricotta bake and got sooo sick. I tried it during this past week. 🤢 I really wanted to love it, but such is life.

Just now, CammyC said:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I tried the Ricotta bake and got sooo sick. I tried it during this past week. 🤢 I really wanted to love it, but such is life.

I totally didn't care for the texture or taste. Having it get stuck, was awful, because I kept getting the taste of it - I'm doing lots of research for smooth mushy (vegetarian) recipes to get me through the next three weeks in hopes to fair better than these last two days. I'll be okay, it's just a new tool to learn how to live with. Physically, I barely had any pain, so mentally I forget that I've had my insides totally re-routed!

My "go-to" mushies phase food was vegetarian refried Beans with a bit of cheddar melted on the top. I also ate a lot of hummus and baba ganoush.

A half cup of food one week out is probably a bit too much at this point. I was allowed one tablespoon at first. I'm four months out and only heat half cup servings.

Let me tell ya, I’m 5 days post op and yesterday, I drank one Protein Shake. Mistake — I felt like something was stuck in the middle of my chest; just now subsiding today. I’m sticking to Clear Liquids for the full 7 days and then I will see if I can tolerate full liquids. My instructions are 2 weeks liquids pre and post ops.

Those were my instructions too. I found around day 9 I was able to tolerate a full Protein Shake.

6 hours ago, Mello1 said:

Let me tell ya, I’m 5 days post op and yesterday, I drank one Protein Shake. Mistake — I felt like something was stuck in the middle of my chest; just now subsiding today. I’m sticking to Clear Liquids for the full 7 days and then I will see if I can tolerate full liquids. My instructions are 2 weeks liquids pre and post ops.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:29 AM, JRT Mom said:

My "go-to" mushies phase food was vegetarian refried Beans with a bit of cheddar melted on the top. I also ate a lot of hummus and baba ganoush.

A half cup of food one week out is probably a bit too much at this point. I was allowed one tablespoon at first. I'm four months out and only heat half cup servings.

The refried Beans have been a Godsend! They are oddly satisfying...of course I'm just happy there are no Tostitios in the pantry!

18 minutes ago, GAjeepGirl said:

The refried Beans have been a Godsend! They are oddly satisfying...of course I'm just happy there are no Tostitios in the pantry!

This made me laugh! I second that. ❤️😂

28 minutes ago, CammyC said:

This made me laugh! I second that. ❤️😂

you KNOW I'd be all over those chips with warm cheesy bean dip!