Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So mad at myself for regain

I can't believe I'm in this place again! I was sleeved in December 2014 and lost 101 pounds. I was thrilled and kept the weight off for 5 years. Then slowly but surely I began to gain... I have been eating whatever I want, not exercising, and basically just being a slug. I finally got the courage up to weigh myself and see the damage, and I've gained 40 pounds!! I have tried to return to the basics but feel constant hunger. I am depressed and pretty hard on myself. I don't like the way I look and I feel like a loser (not a weight loss loser either). I guess I'm just looking for advice, encouragement, and tips to get this weight back off. Thanks community

Well Its Game Time! Dang all you all are scaring me! Time to get back to being healthy! You did it before so put on your big girl panties and do it again!

So you had a little fun, Time to get it off again!

@Debbieduck4 PM me if you want to attend my online support meeting tonight at 6pm CST. We're a great group of committed folks who really motivate each other and help us with accountability and focus. It's hard to go back to basics, but IMHO that's what it takes. Plan, weigh/measure, log EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth for a baseline. Everything. Then look at ways to cut the trash out and emphasize the healthy stuff. Prioritize Protein, Water, healthy veg, healthy fats. You can do it. Seen too many people succeed in getting back to goal to believe it won't.

Hang in there. These are tough days.

Remember your why. Why did you want this back in 2014? For me it was not only my physical looks but other things. I couldn’t bend down and tie my shoes without having to breathe in between. Bending down like that cut off my breath. Another thing and this May be TMI, but I couldn’t hardly wipe my butt when I went potty. I remember sitting on the toilet crying because I couldn’t reach.

I couldn’t walk or stand more than just a few minutes without my lower back burning and aching. Diabetes and high blood pressure run in my family. These are my whys.

So you’ve gained 40 back. Thank God it’s not the 101, right? Start back with the Protein Shakes, maybe substitute a meal a day for one and when you’re comfortable with that substitute two meals a day with a shake. I lost 26 pounds in 3 months prior to surgery from that alone. When you want a snack in between, have one. But make it something healthy and filling like a banana or cottage cheese. You’ve done this before. You know what to do. All you have to do now is, just do it. Sending you positive vibes and hopes for your success!!! ❤️

2 minutes ago, CammyC said:

Remember your why. Why did you want this back in 2014? For me it was not only my physical looks but other things. I couldn’t bend down and tie my shoes without having to breathe in between. Bending down like that cut off my breath. Another thing and this May be TMI, but I couldn’t hardly wipe my butt when I went potty. I remember sitting on the toilet crying because I couldn’t reach.

I couldn’t walk or stand more than just a few minutes without my lower back burning and aching. Diabetes and high blood pressure run in my family. These are my whys.

So you’ve gained 40 back. Thank God it’s not the 101, right? Start back with the Protein Shakes, maybe substitute a meal a day for one and when you’re comfortable with that substitute two meals a day with a shake. I lost 26 pounds in 3 months prior to surgery from that alone. When you want a snack in between, have one. But make it something healthy and filling like a banana or cottage cheese. You’ve done this before. You know what to do. All you have to do now is, just do it. Sending you positive vibes and hopes for your success!!! ❤️

No truer words!!!

41 minutes ago, CammyC said:

Omg me too! The not being able to wipe literally sent me on a tailspin! My husband had to do it for me and I lost it. Every time I want to give up I remember how helpless and ashamed I felt!

I don’t know if it’s possible after surgery but I know before surgery we’re able to shrink our stomachs by eating small meals continuously. The key is to try and go back to healthy small meals. Try to snack on nuts too. The can hold the hunger monster at bay. You’ve done amazing and obesity is a disease! food is our addiction. There’s always a way back! I’m sending you all my well power!

To me, that was my tipping point so to speak. Crying on the toilet bc I could not wipe my ass was the final nail in the coffin of the old me. Peace out old Camille! Hello new Camille! Every day is getting better.

+1 on Cammy's suggestion of remembering your "why". It is so easy to lose sight of that when the excess weight is gone and you feel great/love the way you look. I regularly remind myself of what life was like when I weighed 400 lbs. The physical and mental pain...refusing to attend concerts/events...avoiding airplanes, amusement parks, etc. I wasn't living...simply existing.

Revisit your list and before photos! Set some reasonable goals. I say reasonable because the honeymoon phase is over for us veterans. We are truly driving the car now. Sleeve is an air bag/safety feature. Lol

figure out how many calories you're averaging a day, and cut it by 100 or so. If nothing happens within a couple of weeks, cut it by 100 more. Rinse and repeat. It's hard to lower your calories, but you do get used to the lower amount after a few days. And cutting by 100 at a time is do-able.

No particular words of wisdom that hasn't already been said. Just commenting to acknowledge your feelings and sincerely wish you all the best in getting back on track. You've got this!!

I feel your pain! I had the sleeve done three years ago, lost over 100 pounds in about 10 months, then gained about 60 back through bad food choices and/or just plain overeating (even healthy foods). I'd go on reset diets which would work for a while, but then I would plateau for a long time and start to gain weight again. Part of the problem was trying to deal with my food addictions that came back once I fell off the bariatric diet wagon. After a while it was just too hard to get back on again. Eventually I decided to have a revision to bypass, which I had done 2.5 weeks ago. Hopefully that's not something you'll have to do - if you have support groups around you and people that you can work with, it should be possible to lose the weight you regained.

quite simply, you gotta get really real with yourself. Have a serious come to Jesus moment. What's more important? THIS is the moment where you either sink or swim. Seriously.

I had gradual regain. I KNEW I was eating the wrong stuff but I ate small amounts and figured i'd 'deal with it later'.....after some scary health news, I got myself focused and back on track.

It was that day when I realized that sadly, this is a DAILY battle for me. For many WLS patient, they lose their weight, they move on, and they have a 'regular' life. Not me. For ME, this is still a battle. 6 years out. still a battle. But my health is worth it.

1 hour ago, mi75 said:

quite simply, you gotta get really real with yourself. Have a serious come to Jesus moment. What's more important? THIS is the moment where you either sink or swim. Seriously.

I had gradual regain. I KNEW I was eating the wrong stuff but I ate small amounts and figured i'd 'deal with it later'.....after some scary health news, I got myself focused and back on track.

It was that day when I realized that sadly, this is a DAILY battle for me. For many WLS patient, they lose their weight, they move on, and they have a 'regular' life. Not me. For ME, this is still a battle. 6 years out. still a battle. But my health is worth it.

this is only based on other longer-terms vets I know on forums and IRL, but I think after the second or third year post-op, it's pretty much a daily battle for most of us...