Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastroscopy - I have seen my bypass

Today I had the pleasure (read; it was the worst thing ever) of seeing my bypass from the inside when the stuck a camera down my throat and in the intestines. I did learn something new;

1: food doesn't get stuck isolated. They may tell you rice will be stuck, or that you can't eat oranges or stringy meats. And that may be true while healing, but in a while those thing in itself won't get stuck. What cause cause "stuck" is food that melt together in a a ball or becomes "doughy". Boiled carrots are for an example a better option than raw carrots. The reason why food must be chewed well is to avoid doughy og stringy things that can have a difficulty passing some thighter areas in your intestines

2: A gall bladder surgery is much more difficult on a person with bypass than a person with sleeve or no rerouting because when they take out the gall bladder they access it through the intestines, while on us with bypasses they have to go through the liver.

3: I am not doing this again without beeing heavly medicated

4: Visible staples is not a concern. I counted 2 visible in my sack.

5: Looking in the intestines is qute fun

I find this both horrifying and fascinating at the same time. I don't doubt that it would be a painful/uncomfortable procedure, but I have to admit it's something I would like to see myself. ;-)

3 hours ago, biginjapan said:

I find this both horrifying and fascinating at the same time. I don't doubt that it would be a painful/uncomfortable procedure, but I have to admit it's something I would like to see myself. ;-)

You are right, it was both things! Certainly for me who is so interessed in medical and bodily things.

Yikes! Why did you have to have this procedure done?

29 minutes ago, Tralynn222 said:

Yikes! Why did you have to have this procedure done?

I have some trouble with foods and my surgeon and GP wanted to check that there is nothing anatomically incorrect in my MGB or intestines. Also to check if there was any strictures, polyps or inflamation going on. They found a narrowing in the passage in my osophcoughs. EOS it is called. They also think I might be on borderline eating disorder and that some of this is mental - which I call bullshit.

I am not able to swallow alot of food, and it doesn't seem to be a pattern i what it is. I.e I am not able to swallow my Vitamins - they are to large and get stuck in the back of my throat. Apple bites I am ok with on the other hand. At 3 months out I could brag about eating what I wanted, but that changed after a while. It takes me 1-3 bites of food I have to force down before I am full. Youghurt and smoothies are acutally the worst, since I don't feel it filling me until I get sick.

I don't really like that much food anymore - some type of food aversion/borderline eating disorder as mentioned. I am also troubled by the fact that things smell bad, like really bad. I can smell things from a mile away. I cannot even faddom why I used to enjoy fast foods - nothing smells as bad as fry fat (and chew tobacco). It makes me throw up :P. According to my surgeon it is normal to experience some change in smells OR in taste, due to change of gut hormones. What is a little special is that I got both, hard. Of course I did, I don't half ass things😂

Because of the lack of calories (they think), I have had low bloodpressure, trouble sleeping, dizziness and lack of energy. I survive mainly on caffinated beverages to be honest. But, I have no regrets on surgery - for now it is not a big deal for me this eating thing.

Wow...I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I can only hope it gets better for you. I get the eating this isn't a big deal for you now, but in the long term, you definitely need more substantial nutrition. Be well.