Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im scared of gaining weight through this crisis

Seen this topic and had to chime in.

I have been a religious GYM RAT for years now since being Post Op and to not be able to go to the gym is KILLING ME! The mental game is the worst part of it. I am still getting outside for walks and runs as weather permits but it is not the same. The fear of gaining and loosing the momentum I previous had is scary.

As far as the virus goes I feel we all have our opinions on the issue. But stay safe and SMART everyone. And remember even though you may not worry for yourself think of others during this time.

On a more positive note, I have noticed ALOT of families going out for walks and biking. Runners are out like crazy and even elderly couples have been out and about walking. Hope the positive changes this horrible time in our World stick around and we learn to cherish each other more.

On 3/16/2020 at 12:51 PM, jasmineinmymind said:

I have 10 pounds to go but now instead of losing I'm watching my weight stall and slowly creep up even. I don't feel that it's safe to go to the gym as my gym is crowded. I'm staying home, working from home and not doing my usual running around. I am much more sedentary now. There is much less access to fresh foods, store shelves are empty and we had to stock up on Pasta, rice and canned food as a backup. Not to mention I seem to be eating my feelings more and more.

Im really scared that my weight will continue to creep up! I know what everyone will say, do yoga on YouTube and stop stress eating. OK, easier said than done! :) This is a really scary time and I'm already so prone to anxiety but it's just been out of control. Being isolated is depressing and when you get depressed it's really hard to be disciplined and make a lot of effort. Is anyone in the same boat?

I know this sounds weird but clean. Clean up a room at a time. It’s exercise and you’re doing your part keeping you and your family safe. I can totally understand the depression and eating what’s available but surprisingly all the low fat and fat free stuff are still on the shelves 😂😂😂.

I just had a thought! Why not take this time in spring that we have as downtime around the house and plant our own gardens? It will ensure that we have fresh veg and possibly fruits, will definitely count as exercise, and you can get seeds and starters from Burpee.com plus all the gardening tips you'll ever need. I may just take my own advice/thought. HAHA!

On 3/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, JessLess said:

2.8 mile walk/run with the dogs. Golden retrievers are bad at social distancing.

Dogs.jpg

That made me laugh. I have a social butterfly of a dog as well. She's small so it's easier to keep her away from people but she sure complains :)

@loridee11, I have 2 75 pounders! This is why they are on harnesses. One is just super excited to jump on people.

On 3/16/2020 at 4:19 PM, summerset said:

And honestly: "weight gain" is the least of my concerns now. I was like WTH?? when I read that post and just like... wow.

Really?? I'm in California and I'm on lockdown. I am stuck in my house the majority of the day. I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder. But somehow you think weight gain is a trivial issue? You dont see a connection between gaining weight and depression? You dont see how going backwards after I've worked SO HARD could cause depression? OK. This is not a vanity issue. I want to be HEALTHY! If you cant understand that then I'm sorry.

On 3/19/2020 at 6:16 AM, AshMarie794 said:

Seen this topic and had to chime in.

I have been a religious GYM RAT for years now since being Post Op and to not be able to go to the gym is KILLING ME! The mental game is the worst part of it. I am still getting outside for walks and runs as weather permits but it is not the same. The fear of gaining and loosing the momentum I previous had is scary.

As far as the virus goes I feel we all have our opinions on the issue. But stay safe and SMART everyone. And remember even though you may not worry for yourself think of others during this time.

On a more positive note, I have noticed ALOT of families going out for walks and biking. Runners are out like crazy and even elderly couples have been out and about walking. Hope the positive changes this horrible time in our World stick around and we learn to cherish each other more.

Thank you for actually understanding my post

1 hour ago, jasmineinmymind said:

Really??

Yes.

SARS-COV-2 puts "gaining weight" into a new perspective. A rather unimportant one compared to many other things. I can see though that people are focussing on the possible weight gain problem as in the end it provokes less anxiety than the virus.

However, no one is automatically doomed to gain weight while staying at home. Not you, not me - NO ONE.

I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder.

And I was supposed to know that because...? You said in your first post you're "prone to anxiety" - that's what many people are these days, including myself.

I can see that you're obviously mad at me. I'm sorry you are. But lashing out at me will most likely not help.

Life right now is uncertain. With uncertainty comes fear. Many of us are faced with our havits, rituals and routines having been upended. Please know you’re not alone at times when life is uncertain and anxieties a rise we can form a new habit or find a positive growth in another area. Try meditating to acknowledge worry with out letting it overtake and hijack your body. There are a lot of really good exercise routines on YouTube and every gym in my area is live streaming! I have been running up until today outside but the track just closed I am going to work on . A 21 day challenge yet to be determined. So sorry everything is scary right now please do not hesitate to reach out.

2 minutes ago, Stella S said:

Life right now is uncertain. With uncertainty comes fear. Many of us are faced with our havits, rituals and routines having been upended.

Absolutely.

This is also the time people can use the new skills they gained from "doing the headwork". This "headwork" stuff is emphasized a lot on this board - and now is the time to put it to work.

A crisis is always a chance to learn and grow. Put things to work. If you don't have the skills yet, now is the time to learn them. There are plenty of (free) online resources. You don't need to see a therapist or group face to face to help yourself.

Nobody is forcing foods down your throat that aren't good for you. Keep up your familiar eating routine.

You can exercise at home. Plenty of resources online as well, some free (e. g. youtube, vimeo), some you have to pay for (e. g. Freeletics, YAYOG, Alo Moves, YogaGlo, Ekhart Yoga etc. etc. etc.). Do bodyweight exercises, maybe get a pull-up bar or an aerosling like gadget. You don't need to go to a gym to exercise.

Don't be one of the people writing a post that contains the line "and then life happened and I gained it all back" a few months down the road.

No one is doomed to regain or not-losing because of lockdown and being in shelter. No one.

On 03/16/2020 at 11:36, BayougirlMrsS said:

Not worried at all.... my feelings... this is all being over blown due to the Presidental race in Nov. They want the economy to tank so they can have a reason to say.... look how bad Trump is.

why did you stock up on Pasta, rice? why not stock up on fresh veggies and meats.... I use my vacuum sealer to keep things fresh.... I don't eat much, so i'm good.

This is another reason.... i love hunting... i have a freezer full of Deer

There is nothing stopping you from going outside and walking around.... turn on Netflix and do yoga... it cost nothing to walk/run in the neighborhood or at a park. Or you can do some cardio in your own back yard... take in some fresh air.

Ummmmm, what? Are you suggesting that China, Italy, Spain, etc are all making up their sickness and death rates and slowing their economies just to make Trump look bad for the upcoming elections? Are you serious??

And honestly, anyone who currently supports Trump, despite his past comments and actions, is hardly likely to change their minds anytime soon. And many people vote party, not person.

Glad you have great immunity. Many in your community do not. And not everyone has great healthcare insurance in the event they get very ill or have after effects like compromised lungs.

A friend said ‘The hysteria about corona virus is spreading faster than the virus.’ The food hoarding, the greed & selfish, inconsiderate behaviours is shocking but all arising from the hysteria. Sadly this creates & adds to people’s anxiety.

I have meat & frozen vegetables in my freezer, yoghurt, eggs, milk & cheese in my fridge, always have tinned salmon, tuna, chick peas & tomatoes in my pantry & Protein Bars. Everything I usually have in stock so no change to my diet.

My weight loss journey has been at home as I wasn’t working. I set routines about when I ate & exercised & stuck to them. I established new behaviours - I’m the one in control! I made sure I had a specific task to do every day.

I heartily agree with suggestions like going for a walk, pottering in the garden & cleaning out your closets. (I’ve gone through my clothing a few times throughout this journey so this is the perfect time to sort your clothes.) Sew on those missing buttons, restitch that hem, darn that hole. Cook - test new recipes or modify old favourites. Clean out your pantry - get rid of any trigger foods & the expired items we all have at the back of the shelves. Go through your paperwork, sort all your receipts. Phone your friends & family. Read a book. (I read a book every 1or 2 days.) Give yourself a manicure, a pedicure, a hair treatment - men & women. Sort through all the photos you have on your phone. Keep up with this blog.

Stay strong & healthy.

6 hours ago, Arabesque said:

The food hoarding

Or toilet paper hoarding... 🙄

Like you can get everything at the stores despite toilet paper, dried Pasta and in some cases UHT milk, these paper kitchen towels and hand soap.

Pharmacies are out of disinfection, gloves and masks of course.

A friend said ‘The hysteria about corona virus is spreading faster than the virus.’

True. I sometimes think one should also practice "social media distancing" instead of only "social distancing".

Some very good suggestions on this chain! I am so new to this (my surgery was only Feb. 10th) that I want to try to assure that I don't screw this up from the beginning! On my work from home days (I still have to go in MW one week, MWF the next week) I am going to follow the suggestion to have set times to eat and stick to it. Otherwise I find I don't eat anything until nearly noon, then I am "eating" small meals all day to get the Protein in.

I for one find these days really terrifying. One minute the whole thing seems unlikely, like when my husband and I are on a wooded trail with our dog and the sun is shining; but then the reality comes crashing back. One of my kids and her husband left NYC and are hunkered down in the lower level of her MIL's home in NJ; my adult son is staying with us (short term, until he relocates to NYC to be with his gf, now on hold for who knows how long). His gf came to visit this week-end; we tried to maintain distance but who knows. She is going to her parents vacation home outside of NYC to ride this out. They don't know when they will next see each other, it was really, really sad watching them say good-bye. Meanwhile, I'm weighing 2 0z. of chicken for my dinner! It almost seems absurd. I need to channel my energy into something, it ordinarily (I think) would have included cooking which I'm just not doing right now.

Good luck everyone! It's ok to be scared, and sometimes we focus on what we can control.