Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

three days post op and I'm miserable...

I'm so confused. I thought that the surgery was supposed to almost eliminate heartburn. It hasn't. I go back and forth with nausea that is so bad, I can't walk or move. I'm trying to get my Water and Protein in, but it just causes the heartburn to ramp up 50 notches. To top it all off, my big stomach is growling like there is no tomorrow, yet I have zero hunger or cravings.

Is any of this normal? I'm starting to drift into that "what did I do" scenario...and that won't be a good mental battle for sure. I'm feeling very lost for sure.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice

I'm so confused. I thought that the surgery was supposed to almost eliminate heartburn. It hasn't. I go back and forth with nausea that is so bad, I can't walk or move. I'm trying to get my Water and Protein in, but it just causes the heartburn to ramp up 50 notches. To top it all off, my big stomach is growling like there is no tomorrow, yet I have zero hunger or cravings.

Is any of this normal? I'm starting to drift into that "what did I do" scenario...and that won't be a good mental battle for sure. I'm feeling very lost for sure.

Did you have vsg or rny?

And your body just went through a major upheaval and trauma. It will get better I promise. Just walk and sip.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, BadWolfGirl said:

Did you have vsg or rny?

And your body just went through a major upheaval and trauma. It will get better I promise. Just walk and sip.

I had RNY - they even kept me an extra night because of the nausea and lack of liquid consumption. I just want to bawl my eyes out.

I had RNY - they even kept me an extra night because of the nausea and lack of liquid consumption. I just want to bawl my eyes out.
Oh you poor thing. It will heal, you'll feel better soon. Just keep taking tiny sips and walking as much as you can. Moving the muscles helps heal them and prevents blood clots!

@GAjeepGirl it sucks to hear you’re having such a time of it. I had the sleeve, but I know the anguish of recovering from surgery. 3 days is so soon after. I hope you feel better soon.
As far as the heartburn, can you take the liquid antacids to coat your tummy? Could your surgeon prescribe something for you? Hugs.

I had a revision from a lap band to RNY and I know for the first 4 days I had terrible "buyers remorse". But around day 5 I felt like I was gonna make it, and every day was better than the day before. It's totally normal to think "what the hell did I just do to myself???" Almost everyone of us have thought that right after surgery.

Your doctor should have you on a PPI for a few months after your surgery. I had heartburn for about a month after mine. Be patient with yourself on the Fluid drinking and don't force it. It will get easier.

Hang in there, YOU GOT THIS! It WILL bet better, I promise...

47 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

I had a revision from a lap band to RNY and I know for the first 4 days I had terrible "buyers remorse". But around day 5 I felt like I was gonna make it, and every day was better than the day before. It's totally normal to think "what the hell did I just do to myself???" Almost everyone of us have thought that right after surgery.

Your doctor should have you on a PPI for a few months after your surgery. I had heartburn for about a month after mine. Be patient with yourself on the Fluid drinking and don't force it. It will get easier.

Hang in there, YOU GOT THIS! It WILL bet better, I promise...

that is exactly what I had done - the band has been out for almost five years though. I started taking my omeprazole again - hopefully that will kick in again soon. But the nausea - even mega doses of zofran barely touch it. I'm trying to be strong, but boy is it hard!

8 hours ago, GAjeepGirl said:

Ask for nausea medication maybe? I also am still taking my acid reflux med, if you took one before see if you can still take it or take to your surgeon's office and get one. I'm sorry you feel awful and yes it's just "normal" to feel so crummy at first.

do they have you on a PPI, like Prilosec/omeprazole? Most surgeons put their patients on those for the first 3-6 months.

in any event, I'd call my surgeon's office and let them know what's going on. You shouldn't have to suffer like that!

26 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

do they have you on a PPI, like Prilosec/omeprazole? Most surgeons put their patients on those for the first 3-6 months.

in any event, I'd call my surgeon's office and let them know what's going on. You shouldn't have to suffer like that!

I'm back on my higher dose of Omeprazole - it's helping. The doc told me to bump up the dose of Zofran to 3 pills every four hours. Thankfully, things are a bit easier today. I'm definitely not as "green" with nausea! Baby steps must be taken, as well as the understanding that major surgery was performed that totally rerouted my insides.

18 hours ago, GAjeepGirl said:

It is normal (for you & many others, but not everyone)

Three days post op is very early and a lot of pain, nausea and heartburn is still to be expected.

Usually Surgeons will placed a patient on a PPI directly after a WLS until everything calms down. A huge help is to ask your Surgeon or PCP for a Scopalamine patch or Ondansetron tablets (patch is better honestly). They cause nausea to stop nearly immediately.

Good Luck ❤

@GreenTealael oh yeah, I totally forgot I had a patch for nausea. Maybe that’s why I didn’t have it bad.

@GAjeepGirl glad to hear your feeling better today! ❤️

7 minutes ago, CammyC said:

@GreenTealael oh yeah, I totally forgot I had a patch for nausea. Maybe that’s why I didn’t have it bad.

@GAjeepGirl glad to hear your feeling better today! ❤️

Thanks CammyC ...yes, today was like night and day different than the last 3 days. I thought that I was going to have to live on my bathroom floor there for a while! Now if I could just get my "big tummy" to hush up and settle down some - I feel like IT is driving my hunger with how empty it feels and sounds