Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 12 feeling really crappy

I’m 12 days post-op sleeve surgery today and feel terrible. I have not been out and about to get covid-19. I’ve been meeting my Water and Protein levels daily. I’ve incorporated some soft foods into my diet. I’ve tried Refried Beans, eggs, creamy butternut squash Soup with Protein Powder and prunes—all of these chewed very well. I’ve been walking a lot. I got my 10k steps in on Friday. Yesterday I started feeling tired around 4-5 pm and laid down so I only got around 7500 steps in.

This morning I’m lightheaded and sipping my water again. I’ve been taking my Vitamins like clockwork. I’m also down bc I haven’t lost any weight in two days and I’ve been more active and hydrated in the past two weeks than I’ve been in years and I’m not kidding. I know I’m going to be told to stay off the scale, but I just want the number to go down so bad! I’m so F*%#ing tired of being fat!!!

I’m weepy. When I stretched out a few mins ago I almost passed out. I’m so tired and have been sleeping very well. I’m on day 11 of my cycle so that’s not it either.

Why do I feel so bad when I’ve been doing all I can to feel better!?!?

Your body is doing all it can to still heal. All your food is basically going for that. Even if you meet your Protein and Water goals, your body is basically living off itself and you will be exhausted. In just a few short weeks, you have drastically changed your entire system. AND you have hormone fluctuations all through your cycle, PMS prior to it isn't the only shift your body experiences. Plus fat cells release estrogen, further messing with your hormones.

In short, expect to feel like crap for weeks. Some people for months. Remember, weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. And if you are going to weigh yourself daily, track it all but average it per week to get a better count of your true weight and the loss you experience. You are going to do great, just be patient!

the lack of weight loss the last few days could be the infamous "three week stall". I had mine during weeks 2 and 3. The weight loss should start up again in a week or two...just stick to your plan.

I agree that the lack of weight loss is most likely the 3 week stall. Also, you will feel like crap while you are healing. You are doing everything right. Just give your body time to heal, rest when you need to!

I’ve read about the 3 week stall and I thought I had several more losing days prior to stalling, if I even would. It’s so frustrating!! I’m not even two full weeks out and to stall now is devastating.

One thing I know I am guilty of is unrealistic expectations. You just had 75% of your stomach removed! Your body is in shock; you are probably still feeling the effects of the anesthesia, you are eating around 400 calories a day, you were walking more than you are used to (muscles get tired!) and you are on an emotional roller coaster. I understand why they stress walking to get rid of the gas and get yourself moving, and hydrate and Protein, but I feel like we also need to HEAL and be KIND to ourselves. This will pass.

5 minutes ago, CammyC said:

I’ve read about the 3 week stall and I thought I had several more losing days prior to stalling, if I even would. It’s so frustrating!! I’m not even two full weeks out and to stall now is devastating.

it's not always the third week (usually it is, but not always). As I mentioned above, mine was weeks 2 & 3. Just keep at it - your weight loss will start up again in a few days.

12 days is still so short of time to be feeling great. I mean I know everyone says that but the new normal sucks and wow you've been having your cycle for the past 11 days. Have you been menstruating that whole time? I got my period myself way early and it was longer than normal and I think my Iron was low during that time which made me tired. Also it's a mind game too. I know you're tired and tired of being fat but it wasn't over night that we got this way. I know our expectations are so great and we compare ourselves to others, which makes it even harder to feel better.

Also I don't know how your diet was before and if you were as low carb before your surgery, you could be kind of experiencing your body go through sugar withdrawals, I went on the Keto diet prior to surgery. The nutritionist was fine with it (I saw my nutritionist like at month 1 and had 5 to go) she wanted me to transition to low carb less fat closer to my surgery date but I remember getting off sugar and it was pretty awful.

Did you have to do 10 days of full liquid diet prior to surgery? So many surgeons are so different, that's why I ask.

I'm sorry there isn't just one little thing to fix and a variety of reasons why you might not feel so great.

I'm wishing you the best of luck 🍀 in figuring it out. ❤️ Lean on the message boards if you don't have a great support system at home. Everyone seems to be pretty great on here.

Welcome to the club! The first run or few months sucks, You body is healing and you mind is going bat **** crazy, One thing i did see is you are light headed or not yourself. I suggestion you take in a Gatorade zero and are you sure you are getting all the Vitamins and minerals you need.

Try upping electrolytes a little and increase your Vitamin intake to help you body heal

@CammyC: I had my revision 26th February and I am convinced I am eating way more calories than you. I still don't feel that good, walks and grocery shopping are exhausting and I'm honestly not really expecting being able to jump around.

We all should keep in mind that we had abdominal surgery and general anesthesia. It takes time, at least for most people. Tbh, I can't relate at all to the patients talking about "brimming with energy" shortly after surgery.

@Ostflicka I’m on day 11 of my cycle. I had my period 3/4-3/10–of course I started the day after my surgery I was just referring to the day of the cycle as in not pms. I started eating less prior to surgery because I feared the 14day liquid diet, which I only made it about 9 days all liquids. I cut my meals to once a day and had Protein Shakes for breaks lunch about 3 months before surgery. I lost 26 pounds prior to surgery and 10 since surgery.
My friend just sent me some videos but Dr. V and she said the same things, I just have to give it time.

@AJ Tylo Yes, sensay of Vitamins 🙂 I’ve been taking Bariatric Fusion Multivitamin with the Iron. I’m also taking In addition sublingual B12, Vitamin C, vit d3 2000 iu and omega-3. I bought citracal for the calcium citrate and that made me so sick! So I’ve ordered some Calcium citrate chews from Celebrate and awaiting for those to arrive. I have been drinking Gatorade zero in addition to the Water.

my friend who sent me the videos and has also had the sleeve and lost successfully told me I’m walking too much at this point. I walked 4 miles on Friday and 3.3 yesterday—is it too much? Is 10k steps to much to shoot for right now?? I appreciate your feedback.

@summerset I don’t relate to being energetic either. I feel like I’m pushing so hard right now. I go back to work on Tuesday and I have a desk job but still worried about being weak.

14 days post-op is not really long out of surgery. The first days of work will most likely be exhausting. I worry a bit going back to work on Thursday with Corona around.

Don't know if the hospital I'm working at has Corona patients already. However, since we're the biggest one in the area I bet we have.

Ugh. I think of that too and I’m not in a hospital like you. Here’s hoping we stay healthy ❤️

My surgery was on the 3rd also and like you, I haven't lost anything for several days. I've been tired and taken naps for the few days but otherwise feel ok. I'm think I'm tired simply because of the low calories (I'm still on full liquids only). Maybe this is just part of the healing process.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. If you continue feeling run down or are concerned, I recommend to reach out to your care team. I hope you feel better soon!!