Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since my surgery, I cannot eat dried pastas or white, brown, red or black (forbidden) rice. But I CAN eat fresh Pasta and wild rice and all wheat grains and many other grains.

My understanding is that the ones I can't eat continue to expand after eating, and that's painful with a tiny stomach pouch.

So, did some research. Rice and dried pastas can expand up to six times their dry volume either during cooking or after eating. Fresh pastas still are about halfway to the expanded volume before cooking and double when cooked, so are DONE EXPANDING when eaten, so won't cause pain or nausea when consumed.

Rice pudding and risotto have also fully expanded BEFORE you eat them, so can also be eaten with no negative consequences.

However, most rice dishes and pasta from dried have tripled in size before eating but will DOUBLE that INSIDE you. That's going to be bad.

My research has found NOTHING about the discomfort being due to high carb content. If you are prone to short term dumping, high carbs can be a problem, but although I can't eat a whole hard candy, I can eat a plate of fresh pasta with cheese sauce ( my version of Mac and cheese, homemade) and it doesn't cause dumping. I only get dumping from fresh pasta if I don't consume enough Protein with it.

The problem with pasta is one of volume, not carbs.

Wheat grains (wheat berries, spelt, kamut, einkorn, farro, emmer, cracked wheat, bulgur, and others) expand to only 3 times dry volume when cooked, so the expansion is done during cooking, and no more occurs after eating. The same is true of barley, quinoa, amaranth, teff, millet, kaniwa, buckwheat, and a bunch of other grains. So, they all can be substituted in recipes that call for rice.

Wild rice isn't in the rice family, it's closer related to wheat and barley, do it also is done expanding during cooking so can be eaten without trouble.

I use spelt when I make pork fried rice. I use wild rice instead of noodles in chicken Soup. I use kamut or wheat berries instead of couscous. I do have to adjust cooking times, or liquid amounts to reflect what actually is being cooked, but the recipes come out tasty and healthy.

My question for you all is, have you found any prepared pasta dishes you can eat? If not, try with fresh pasta.

Btw, egg rolls wrappers are essentially identical to fresh pasta and can be used to make lasagna without needing prior cooking, and without over expansion inside you.

Hopefully you can try some of these ideas and find out you have more food choices than you thought you did.

I am 8 years out from Roux-En-Y surgery, with several revision surgeries as well, and gall bladder removal, and I am still at my target weight, 100 lbs. down from pre-surgery weight. It has NOT been easy.

Rice makes me feel full quite quick. Pasta I only eat edamame/mung bean pasta because I actually like it more than regular pasta.

I sometimes seem to have problems with re-heated starches, i. e. a high content of resistance starches, but this seems to be inconsistent and only occasionally so I don't bother too much about it.

Edited by summerset

29 minutes ago, Pearl Westville said:

My question for you all is, have you found any prepared Pasta dishes you can eat? If not, try with fresh pasta

About the only pasta i can eat is ravioli Most other noodles kill me also

Eating rice feels like shards of glass in my sleeve. I've added quinoa (in small amounts) to my diet with no problem, and it's got Protein which is a bonus.

I have been very fortunate and have not run into many issues with Pasta or rice (I love sushi), but I'm very careful with my portions of them and try and make sure to leave room for expansion when I eat. I also found the information about using an eggroll wrapper in lasagna quite interesting and will have to try that!

I'm curious; Has anyone tried the Pasta made from chickpeas? I bought some for our emergency food stores, but I have another week before I am off soft food. I'd love to know if anyone has any experience using that pasta. It does have protein!

The only Pasta I’ve had is when it’s Protein on rare occasion I’ve had BariatricPal creamy chicken pasta which is relatively low carb (very small portion) and 15 grams protein. I recently tried a brand I used to buy great low carb bread company orzo pasta which is low carb and it’s balanced with protein and Fiber so it’s not just plain pasta. I made a simple “fried rice” out of it.

CD15247E-D9C7-40B0-BEC7-C3E7EF8BDDE2.jpeg

Thanks so much for this post! I’m 6.5 years out from a sleeve and 2.5 weeks from RNY. I still can’t eat rice (haven’t tried since RNY and don’t plan to any time soon). It just hurt no matter how little I ate of it. I love sushi but I pick out most of the rice. Other than sushi, I don’t eat it. I eat cauliflower rice instead and love it. I never had issues with Pasta though.

You all have named a LOT of interesting foods I’ve never even heard of and will definitely have to try!

Such good info. Thanks!!