Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Corona delaying weight loss surgery dates? Anyone?

Hey all. My surgery will be delayed by 2 weeks or so due to the coronavirus mandates here in NYC. I am saddened but it will be okay 🙄🙄🙄

My office just called me back and is seeing if the surgery can be switched back to the original date of 3/17. The assistant told me that the surgeon is working very hard to make that happen. If it's a no go, then reschedule is uncertain, and it that's the case, then I'm taking it as a sign that perhaps this is not for me.

I'm so sorry for all of us who are going thru this.

Mine is officially cancelled. Mello1 I am thinking it maybe a sign for me too.

Well......my surgery date on Friday was cancelled. I have been on this pre op diet for 10 days and not looking forward to doing it again at a later date.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:23 PM, Solo4ever said:

I wouldn't consider wls an elective surgery. Once you have medical necessity proven for insurance approval and a surgery date you most likely will get the surgery. Wouldn't be surprised if they do testing just before of course.

Elective means you can elect to have it or not. I feel terrible for everyone who didn't get it, but many states are under a state of emergency. I would be more afraid of getting coronavirus at a hospital because many medical professionals are getting it from their patients. Sorry for everyone who has to wait.

My surgeons scheduler called me back and said they have no news about cancellations at this time, but they will let me know as soon/if they do.

I've decided to hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. If I need to be rescheduled then it wasn't quite time for my surgery to happen. I won't take it as a sign not to have it at all, because I've put in too much work and gotten so far.

I wouldn't see having a surgery postponed is a "sign" at all. It's just hospitals doing whatever they can to prepare for the onslaught of virus patients...

I'm in Maryland, with Kaiser insurance; my surgery is scheduled for 4/1. I called my bariatric program case manager today, and she said I should still go to my anesthesiology evaluation tomorrow and get my pre-op labs done. She said that the surgeons are taking this day by day. I'm supposed to start liquids on Wednesday and she said to proceed as normal; they will call me as soon as they know if the surgery will be postponed. This really is a miserable situation, but I've waited this long for the surgery, I can handle a couple more months if necessary.

6 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I wouldn't see having a surgery postponed is a "sign" at all. It's just hospitals doing whatever they can to prepare for the onslaught of virus patients...

In my case I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do it or give it one last go at trying to losing it myself. So that is a sign for me. I only had the opportunity to do it with this month or sept. So if it’s rescheduled it will be in September. You know unless they call today and said they found another facility.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:51 AM, MaybeMeow said:

Anyone hear of surgeries being postponed

I requested late April as a surgery date and was just given a confirmed date this morning of 4/20/2020. However even with a confirmed date over 4 weeks from now I was still told that date may change pending any negative info on COVID-19 for my immediate area, keeping fingers crossed...

So, I have an update. I'm to report to the hospital at 6 am. This was my original date anyway, so I'm truly grateful to move forward. Now, I have to deal with the regular anxiety of the surgery itself.