Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 minute ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

why on earth would you wish for such a thing.....

It would greatly reduce the mortality rate % wise. We already know the cases are out there .

1 hour ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

We have at least 2 weeks of food in the house;

Hey, that's an advantage to WLS. At one half cup food per meal, three cans of refried Beans and a box of Protein Bars and I'm set for two weeks...add a dozen eggs and I'm good for another week!😁

49 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

I want to make one of these redneck Corona prevention suits and wear it to Walmart. Loved it!

Then you would be a Wallmartian

download.jpg

Problem with self isolation/quarantine it doesn't work when some people won't do it. In Australia, people who were later confirmed as having the virus, while waiting for their test results (and were sent home to self isolate) went shopping, one went to work and night clubs, another went to a concert, I am sure there are other incidences.

I haven't stocked up on anything other than supplies to get me through the first few weeks of post-op (surgery next week if its not cancelled).

I developed the following plan to deal with this threat.

Practical Preparations for a Coronavirus Pandemic

The virus has been seeded throughout the country and I think the next couple of weeks will show a lot more cases as all the ones incubating now will pop up. Most of us will eventually get exposed and develop immunity - just like with West Nile Virus that now lives among us. The biggest problem is the disruption of services and the financial impact on businesses and families. I work in a hospital and masks are in short supply already. Most of our masks and protective equipment are made in China. China has shut down a lot of these factories, so that is a very real issue. Some hospitals are shutting down services like elective surgeries in order to save supplies for emergencies.

Bottom line - we will get past this. The more we can slow the spread, the better off we will be. The elderly are the most vulnerable and I worry about my 86 year old mom in a care facility. People will die, yes, but up to 40,000 people die in the US each year from the flu and still, a lot of folks won't get a flu shot. In another year, this will just be another virus that lives with us.

My take on the whole thing is that it is an excellent rehearsal in preparedness for a really BAD pandemic, with a much higher mortality. If the avian flu ever mutates and goes person to person, it will wipe out over half the world's population. If we can learn lessons from this Coronavirus outbreak, it could actually be the best thing to happen. People need to be prepared with food, Water, medicine - for ANY disaster. FEMA, the CDC, and state health departments have been saying this for years, but people still don't even have enough TP in their homes to last 2 weeks!

Edited by AZhiker

In WA state, where it all started in the US. We're following health official guidance - washing hands, limiting exposure to larger groups, etc. My husband and I have been instructed to work virtually. My kids (HS senior, College sophomore) are attending classes virtually. Haven't been able to get TP, Lysol, Purell. Upside to it all - No traffic on the normally horrible Seattle freeways. Stay healthy everyone!

Toronto, Canada. A quick google search tell me there are 19 active cases in T.O. and the GTA (as of yesterday)

I am not sick, been in contact with anyone (that I know of) who has been sick, or traveled to any hotspots, or been around anyone who has (that I know of). My city has not enacted any States of Emergency, but has issued almost daily updates, which I keep up with.

I am going about my business as I normally do while practicing good hygiene (as I normally do). I have lunch dates today and tomorrow that I am keeping. And a date night tomorrow night with Mr & friends that I already have an OOTD picked out for.

I have not "stocked up" beyond what I would normally do; if anything I should be going grocery shopping today, but given the news that erupted yesterday, alot of panicked folks are flooding the stores and I don't want to deal with that and them right now. I went this morning, and turned around and went home after seeing the craziness at the costco parking lot. I probably will avoid Costco for the next little while, as it seems to be the mecca for stockpilers. I did stop by a regular grocery store and picked non-volume, regular-priced romaine lettuce for my salads since I'm all out. No craziness there. I didn't check if there was toilet paper though, LOL.

Our client sites have implemented WFH policies, but we work from home most of the time anyway.

The Kid's school is still open. She has a semi-formal she is attending tonight, that has not been cancelled.

The only things that we are doing/have done differently is (1) telling our parents to stay away from crowds as much as they can, and give us a call if they need stuff so we can do the errands for them. They are elderly and not the healthiest folks in the world, so it makes sense for them, and (2) totally scrapping the plan of going to Europe for vacay in the spring, which I am pretty bummed about, and (3) seriously contemplating pulling the plug on the Kid's summer plans in Asia, which she is pretty bummed about.

Otherwise, status quo around here, unless new info/third-party policies forces us to do otherwise.

Wash your hands!

Edited by ms.sss

On 3/11/2020 at 9:56 AM, JessLess said:

I also have purchased small amounts of these things, although I'm not sure they will help: N95 Masks, rubber gloves, antibacterial wipes, and hand sanitizer.

This part never came about. I ordered them all online and they are all back-ordered. I've been washing my hands a lot and staying out of large crowds while still running errands as usual. Hoping my dad's nursing home isn't quarantined and that we can drive down and visit him.

Just got back from Costso where I get my cat litter, nuts, and quinoa. Oh my goodness! It was packed. They were sold out of TP, rice, paper towels, and only allowing limited cases of Water. I didn't need any of that stuff, thankfully. Anyway, the really weird thing was how QUIET it was. Really spooky, actually. No one was talking except to snip at other shoppers who were blocking isles or taking too long. I got my cat litter, nuts, and quinoa, and got out!

Edited by AZhiker

We are getting hit pretty hard in Colorado. But no one is really panicking. Just proper hygiene at my house. We didn’t stock up etc on anything. We have a good amount food as always.

7 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Toronto, Canada. A quick google search tell me there are 19 active cases in T.O. and the GTA (as of yesterday)

My stepson works for Ontario, something akin to homeland security and transportation..not exactly sure. He’s been stressed and slammed this week trying to keep up.

23 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Otherwise, status quo around here, unless new info/third-party policies forces us to do otherwise.

Wash your hands!

So yeah, that changed quickly. New info and third-party policies have now forced us to do otherwise!

Things are going cray-cray...

We just got first 6 cases in Mississippi. One case is in the hospital. One sick man was flying from Texas to Florida with stopover in Gulfport. A woman brought virus from NC after visiting family. So our Governor has already extended Spring Break for two more weeks for all schools, colleges and universities. All museums in Jackson are closed even though no cases in Hinds County. No gatherings of more than 250 people which cancels church services in the larger churches. Biggest concern is the hundreds of college students flying back from Spring Break.

No school for kids will be a great burden on the large number of poor single working mothers. I was at Kroger to pick up a few items and was shocked to find shelves mostly empty. I haven"t seen stores like this since Hurricane Katrina. Here is photo of bread shelves.

This virus will continue to spread as Americans go from state to state via any means of transportation. So efforts seem to be directed at social isolation to slow down spread.

I don't understand why people are being so critical of US government response. We have been through MERSA, SARS, BIRD FLU. No testing or vaccines were made for those. It is incredible scientificly to even have a test already developed in two short months. CDC says it is putting out 400,000 per week. But takes several days to even get results. Now drug manufacturer has received approval to send out a much quicker test. But tests need to be used on those most likely exposed or infected instead of everyone with fever or sniffles/cough until more tests become available.

The biggest issue is that each state's health department is responsible for their own people. The federal government only has a supportive role. And too many people are going to work and places with respiratory infections of all types, most likely not CV-16. But there are documented instances of known infected people ignoring quarantine measures and doing whatever they want. 20200314_134750.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app