Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

You asked what other people are doing, I replied with what I'm doing...

Sorry, got it.

9 minutes ago, JessLess said:

Sorry, got it.

No problem❤

Has a state of emergency been declared? (until MA declares a state of emergency they will likely not have funding for testing for all without bleeding the budget dry)

I have 2 active cases in my immediate area and 70+ in the state but our Gov already made the declaration in order to receive funding

Good Luck with your family

Chaga mushroom tea and lots of Vitamin C

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

34 minutes ago, JessLess said:

The issue here is doctors can't do anything. They don't have tests or equipment to protect their staff and other patients if you come in. Hospitals are asking people not to come in for the same reason.

they are letting us video phone with the office here.

@GreenTealael, yes, there is a state of emergency in MA. Biogen is headquartered four miles from my house.

We don't have it here yet (SW Virginia) but if it gets here there's not much I can do to avoid it since I work in a hospital. But in reality death from flu is more likely than from Covid-19.

As a nurse practitioner for 30 years, I see this as the same level of panic and crazy as what occurred during the swine flu and SARS outbreaks. I always practice good handwashing wherever I am. Since there is no treatment I am not sure about the value of testing. If you are sick with any virus you need to stay home. period. There are no reported cases in the immediate area where I live but if there are I will just stay home. Super easy to have essentials delivered if necessary. I am not buying or stocking up on anything more than normal.

Well lets just say this is worse then a Hurricane in South West Florida, Stores are wiped out of Toelit paper and cleaning supplies and the pharmacy areas are almost empty! Same stuff that happens with a hurricane. Since its no hidden secret I do not like people - Isolation for me is just fine! However I do have a son on a bus to Indy right now to compete in a huge music competition, Not really comfortable with that at all!

My view is this is going to wack us hard just like bird flu, Ebola and all the other issues we are having over the last century. I have been sick for a week with congestion and flu like symptoms but kicking it quickly.

Really weird though everybody in my neighborhood looks different Shot this Picture out my window -

download.jpg

I read the OP and just think.... Wow. For one if you are that concerned, lock your self in your home and don't leave till this is over. Have anything you need delivered to you. As far as your loved one, if you are worried, get in your car and go make sure he is being cared for.

Second, people are telling you what they are/would do and you're basically shutting them down. If you didn't want people's opinions, why did you ask.

Me, i'm doing what i do every day. Nothing different. People should already be coughing into their elbow, washing their hands, keeping themselves clean.... Unless you have terrible hygiene... i see no need for worry.

Wash your hands and get the flu shot..... More people die from that then will EVER die from Corona.

(copied this ) The CDC predicts that at least 12,000 Americans will die from the flu in any given year. As many as 61,000 people died in the 2017-2018 flu season, and 45 million were infected. Nearly 6.5 times the amount of people that live in your state....The state of Massachusetts has nearly 7 million people living there.

Corona cases so far World Wide: around 122k, Deaths around 4k+, people that have RECOVERED: almost 70K.... Currently, there are around 50k active cases.

I'm in Western Massachusetts, and we don't have any cases here, yet, but there has been one in Worcester. I have basically had a cold with congestion and now a cough for a couple of weeks; I only had my surgery on Feb. 10, and it had been delayed for a week because I had the flu (regular flu, high fever with body aches, sinus congestion). I am also 61, so between my immune system being taxed and my age I am feeling pretty vulnerable. I am certainly not panicking, but I am working from home when I can (like today), and scheduling as many phone conferences as I can instead of in person meetings. I have both disinfectant wipes and cleanser at work, and I cleaned every surface in my office. Similarly I have cleaned our house pretty thoroughly with disinfectant cleaners, and my housekeeper is coming Monday and will do a deeper clean.

We have at least 2 weeks of food in the house; I just started eating soft foods, so I have several dozen eggs, some well, Yes! Soups, pre-made turkey meatballs, turkey sausage, ground turkey, chicken breasts and chicken wings in the freezer. I have several low fat cheeses, canned tomatoes, frozen spinach and kale. Of course I also have Protein Powder and some dry high Protein soups, that aren't all that tasty but got me through "smooth" food stage. Won't be fancy, but we can certainly make it a couple of weeks. My adult son is temporarily staying with us for a couple of months, and I have Pasta, hamburger, bread, and rice for him and my husband. All of our prescriptions are filled. We got a double order on "Chewy" this month so we have plenty of pet food.

Having said all that, I cannot avoid being in public, my job requires it sometimes. (I am an attorney, and a litigator, so I have to go to Court, do depositions, etc.) The Courts by and large have not announced any changes, although that may be coming. I would welcome phone conferences when and if we can. I carry hand sanitizer, and I wash my hands all the time. I've become one of those people who uses a paper towel to open the bathroom door after I wash my hands!

Everyone I know in the medical field thinks this is going to get worse before it gets better. I've done what I can; I will continue to follow the advice of the professionals because I know I don't know more than them. We are continuing on with our lives, we go to the supermarket frequently for fresh fruits, vegetables and fish, we went to a show last week-end. We did change plans for this week-end, we are having friends come here instead of going out, but that was really about me not wanting to go to a restaurant/pub yet. It's hard to find the balance between being responsibly prepared and overreacting to all the hype. To me, once the entire country of Italy shut down I figured maybe I should take this a little more seriously.

I guess we can add "wash your hands" to watch your protein and liquids!

Just got an email from my local Sam's Wholesale Club that TOILET PAPER is back in stock. I was in there on Monday and there was not a roll available to purchase. Get to pick it up tomorrow at 0700!!!

I solved the problem EVERYONE CLICK THIS LINK PROBLEM SOLVED

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1073164433045962&id=418531258509286

2 minutes ago, MIZ60 said:

Just got an email from my local Sam's Wholesale Club that TOILET PAPER is back in stock. I was in there on Monday and there was not a roll available to purchase. Get to pick it up tomorrow at 0700!!!

Thank god! Can not say the same about Florida! Good thing we all just need a little each week due to the surgery

4 hours ago, JessLess said:

The seriousness of the coronavirus is beginning to concern me in Massachusetts. The U.S. does not have nearly enough tests and IMHO our government, which has been underfunding science, does not have a good plan to combat it. About 20 major universities have asked students not to come back after Spring Break.

I'm healthy, but my husband and parents are older and have compromised immune systems. My father is in a nursing home. I have a few thoughts, and I'm curious about what you think, and how things are in countries besides the U.S.

As more tests become available, I think there will be a sharp increase in cases over the next several weeks.

In the U.S. some people have been asked to self-quarantine. The period seems to be for two weeks.

I would avoid all unnecessary visits to the hospital. I'm not sure what I would do if my surgery was in the next few weeks.

I'm keeping our house stocked with 2 weeks of food as recommended by the CDC (Center for Disease Control).

Keeping all my medications in stock

Washing my hands carefully and often

I also have purchased small amounts of these things, although I'm not sure they will help: N95 Masks, rubber gloves, antibacterial wipes, and hand sanitizer.

What do you think? What are you doing?

Hoping for 1,000's of new cases to be diagnosed here.

5 minutes ago, Slownstedy said:

Hoping for 1,000's of new cases to be diagnosed here.

why on earth would you wish for such a thing.....