Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The seriousness of the coronavirus is beginning to concern me in Massachusetts. The U.S. does not have nearly enough tests and IMHO our government, which has been underfunding science, does not have a good plan to combat it. About 20 major universities have asked students not to come back after Spring Break.

I'm healthy, but my husband and parents are older and have compromised immune systems. My father is in a nursing home. I have a few thoughts, and I'm curious about what you think, and how things are in countries besides the U.S.

As more tests become available, I think there will be a sharp increase in cases over the next several weeks.

In the U.S. some people have been asked to self-quarantine. The period seems to be for two weeks.

I would avoid all unnecessary visits to the hospital. I'm not sure what I would do if my surgery was in the next few weeks.

I'm keeping our house stocked with 2 weeks of food as recommended by the CDC (Center for Disease Control).

Keeping all my medications in stock

Washing my hands carefully and often

I also have purchased small amounts of these things, although I'm not sure they will help: N95 Masks, rubber gloves, antibacterial wipes, and hand sanitizer.

What do you think? What are you doing?

Where in MA are you? Have there been cases in your city yet? I'm in Gloucester ma and I know we have had people asked to work from home where I live but there have not been any confirmed cases. But I also know that there aren't many tests and if the symptoms are cough and fever a ton of people could be walking around with it and we would have no idea. My son has had a cough and fever over the past couple of days and already had the flu so I know it's not that. The symptoms are so frequently seen and there are so few tests that we really won't get accurate numbers. From everything I've read we shouldn't worry if we are washing our hands etc. yet now we have a state of emergency? I'm just confused as to whether or not we should be worrying? I'm getting allot of mixed information. I don't know if by not worrying and stocking up on things I am making a mistake?

Well, worrying won't help, but I do think the situation should be taken seriously. In my opinion, not worrying, stocking up, and practicing social isolation from crowds is probably the best thing you can do. I'm much more concerned about my dad in his nursing home.

I'm in Newton and there have been cases in Wellesley and Lexington, which are very close to me. Biogen, where most MA cases started, has their office in Weston and I used to work in that building! It's about four miles from my house.

I am washing my hands like normal. That's it no need to panic.

Just now, Thenewguy said:

I am washing my hands like normal. That's it no need to panic.

Do I sound like I'm panicking?

Just now, JessLess said:

Do I sound like I'm panicking?

No... I was just making a general statement because a lot of people seem to be.

32 minutes ago, JessLess said:

The seriousness of the coronavirus is beginning to concern me in Massachusetts. The U.S. does not have nearly enough tests and IMHO our government, which has been underfunding science, does not have a good plan to combat it. About 20 major universities have asked students not to come back after Spring Break.

I'm healthy, but my husband and parents are older and have compromised immune systems. My father is in a nursing home. I have a few thoughts, and I'm curious about what you think, and how things are in countries besides the U.S.

As more tests become available, I think there will be a sharp increase in cases over the next several weeks.

In the U.S. some people have been asked to self-quarantine. The period seems to be for two weeks.

I would avoid all unnecessary visits to the hospital. I'm not sure what I would do if my surgery was in the next few weeks.

I'm keeping our house stocked with 2 weeks of food as recommended by the CDC (Center for Disease Control).

Keeping all my medications in stock

Washing my hands carefully and often

I also have purchased small amounts of these things, although I'm not sure they will help: N95 Masks, rubber gloves, antibacterial wipes, and hand sanitizer.

What do you think? What are you doing?

Prayer and proper hygiene.

1 minute ago, Thenewguy said:

No... I was just making a general statement because a lot of people seem to be.

I just want accurate scientific information and tests for everyone with symptoms.

19 minutes ago, alleamarie said:

Where in MA are you? Have there been cases in your city yet? I'm in Gloucester ma and I know we have had people asked to work from home where I live but there have not been any confirmed cases. But I also know that there aren't many tests and if the symptoms are cough and fever a ton of people could be walking around with it and we would have no idea. My son has had a cough and fever over the past couple of days and already had the flu so I know it's not that. The symptoms are so frequently seen and there are so few tests that we really won't get accurate numbers. From everything I've read we shouldn't worry if we are washing our hands etc. yet now we have a state of emergency? I'm just confused as to whether or not we should be worrying? I'm getting allot of mixed information. I don't know if by not worrying and stocking up on things I am making a mistake?

Honestly, ANYONE with a cough and fever NEEDS to call their doctor and ask what they want them to do. Fever and cough is NOT normal. Is NOT a cold. LOL. It is almost always gonna be flu or infection somewhere (sinus/respiratory). But you could already be exposed and exposing others by NOT talking to your doc.

Sorry, @GreenTealael, thoughts and prayers are not enough, I want peer-reviewed, evidence-based science.

5 minutes ago, JessLess said:

Well, worrying won't help, but I do think the situation should be taken seriously. In my opinion, not worrying, stocking up, and practicing social isolation from crowds is probably the best thing you can do. I'm much more concerned about my dad in his nursing home.

I'm in Newton and there have been cases in Wellesley and Lexington, which are very close to me. Biogen, where most MA cases started, has their office in Weston and I used to work in that building! It's about four miles from my house.

Could you move your dad in with you for the next few weeks until we see where this all goes?

Just now, JessLess said:

Sorry, @GreenTealael, thoughts and prayers are not enough, I want peer-reviewed, evidence-based science.

You asked what other people are doing, I replied with what I'm doing...

We stocked up on supplies here. And we're practicing good hygiene and trying to limit exposure to large groups. Both of us are immune compromised and are approaching the 60 mark. We have hand sanitizer, Chlorox, Eukenuba (black elderberry extract), etc.

7 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Honestly, ANYONE with a cough and fever NEEDS to call their doctor and ask what they want them to do. Fever and cough is NOT normal. Is NOT a cold. LOL. It is almost always gonna be flu or infection somewhere (sinus/respiratory). But you could already be exposed and exposing others by NOT talking to your doc.

The issue here is doctors can't do anything. They don't have tests or equipment to protect their staff and other patients if you come in. Hospitals are asking people not to come in for the same reason.

7 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Could you move your dad in with you for the next few weeks until we see where this all goes?

No, he has late-stage Parkinson's disease, is blind, in a wheelchair, can't eat solid food, and has dementia. I can't lift him to take him to the bathroom. He and my mom are in State College, PA and I'm outside of Boston. It's an 8 hour flight or drive. I had been planning to drive down but I suspect they will be under quarantine as soon as there is a case in State College (where Penn State is).