Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is it that I've lived 41 years without gas pain, but once I have a RNY gas pain becomes a daily fight? I don't get it. I know my stomach anatomy changed, but not my bowels. Why does this happen? This is a long lasting, burning pain. I hate it and it's impacting my quality of life.

Edited by GotItDoneInHarlem
Needed to update

Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk. Also try GasX or charcoal supplements (smashed up of course). My understanding is that you have to walk a lot. Also, what I've been reading is that they pump you up with gas during the surgery. You got to get it out. Good to know that you are well!

2 minutes ago, Mello1 said:

Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk. Also try GasX or charcoal supplements (smashed up of course). My understanding is that you have to walk a lot. Also, what I've been reading is that they pump you up with gas during the surgery. You got to get it out. Good to know that you are well!

I'm a month post-op so there's no way this is still lingering gas from the surgical procedure. I take a double dose of gas-x twice a day. I am active and exercise regularly. I'm supposed to start strength training today but I have this searing, burning pain that goes across my lower belly. I don't get it. When will this end?

58 minutes ago, GotItDoneInHarlem said:

I'm a month post-op so there's no way this is still lingering gas from the surgical procedure. I take a double dose of gas-x twice a day. I am active and exercise regularly. I'm supposed to start strength training today but I have this searing, burning pain that goes across my lower belly. I don't get it. When will this end?

Is this possibly a byproduct of all the Protein Shakes I'm drinking? An altered diet is the only thing I can think of.

Do your Protein Shakes have dairy? You could be becoming lactose intolerant. That happens quite a bit after WLS. I would try a different source of Protein and/or cut out dairy and see if that helps.

Edited by plain.sight

My Protein Shakes contain no milk but they do have milk Proteins so they're okay for lactose intolerance. I don't do dairy otherwise.

16 minutes ago, GotItDoneInHarlem said:

My Protein Shakes contain no milk but they do have milk Proteins so they're okay for lactose intolerance. I don't do dairy otherwise.

So the whey Protein isolate Protein Shakes, despite saying "lactose free," can actually cause problems if you are lactose intolerant, which can develop after surgery. I was already lactose intolerant to start with, and though they say lactose free, they actually give me the same reaction I have with regular milk (bloating, gas, discomfort, etc.). It's quite possible; maybe see about switching to a veggie protein or Bone Broth protein and see if that helps?

That is terrible you’re still having those pains. Have you thought about consulting a GI dr? A month out is still soon but if it’s affecting your life that may need medical attention. Hope it gets better for you.

7 hours ago, GotItDoneInHarlem said:

I would say check in with your doctor for sure. What kind of workouts are you doing?

5 minutes ago, Mello1 said:

I would say check in with your doctor for sure. What kind of workouts are you doing?

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow for my one month checkup. Started with body weight exercise and some light weights. Im cleared to lift weights as of one month and giving my abs another two weeks to recover. I"ll update this with my doctors feedback tomorrow.

Just now, GotItDoneInHarlem said:

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow for my one month checkup. Started with body weight exercise and some light weights. Im cleared to lift weights as of one month and giving my abs another two weeks to recover. I"ll update this with my doctors feedback tomorrow.

Yeah, let us know what happens with that.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:48 PM, Mello1 said:

Yeah, let us know what happens with that.

According to the doctor the pains I'm feeling are most likely gas pain (flatulence not surgical gas). It could also be my body's reaction to whey Protein Shakes. I've bought vegan pea Protein shakes and I'm trying those today to see if it helps.

1 hour ago, GotItDoneInHarlem said:

According to the doctor the pains I'm feeling are most likely gas pain (flatulence not surgical gas). It could also be my body's reaction to whey Protein Shakes. I've bought vegan pea Protein shakes and I'm trying those today to see if it helps.

Glad you followed up with the doctor. Hopefully this helps! Let us know!