Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Peanut Butter almost 2weeks Post OP

Hello,

I am on soft foods now when can I have a spoon of Peanut Butter? and no I dont like PB2!

you might want to check with your clinic. I don't know the answer to that, but I think I was quite a ways out before I had Peanut Butter.

That just sounds amazing, on a slice of toast. With a cup of black tea and vanilla Premier Protein mixed.

Back to cream Soups, Protein Shakes and Jello I go, lol.

Peanut Butter is sooooo high in fat and calories, that most of us reserve it (as well as other nuts, seeds, and butters) until maintenance. It is great for adding calories to slow down weight loss as you reach goal, but until you get there, I would stay clear of it.

Edited by AZhiker

Just now, AZhiker said:

Peanut Butter is sooooo high in fat and calories, that most of us reserve it (as well as other nuts, seeds, and butters) until maintain. It is great for adding calories to slow down weight loss as you reach goal, but until you get there, I would stay clear of it.

Thank you for the tip on how to slow down weight loss and maintenance. I will add it to my notes, I love Sunflower Butter from Trader Joe's. I know it isn't an option right now, but yummy. I'm going to try that powdered Peanut Butter when I reach that phase. I'm going to ask at my appointment next week.

NO on the Peanut Butter - You are to early and that is too high in sugar and fat! However the powders are ok

I have consumed 55 gallons of the powder in my shakes! One tablespoon one bannana and 2 scoops powder and almond milk!

Ask your Team.

But, in the early days post op *perhaps* focus on a maintaining a caloric deficit to maximize weight loss.

Peanut Butter is very calorically dense. Most tend to eat more that a single serving because its usually not weighed or measured accurately.

If at 2 weeks post op you should be consuming ~600 cals (confirm amount with your Team), peanut butter will be 1/6 -1/3 your intake for the day.

Good Luck ❤

peanutbutter_servingsizes-345x345.jpg

Edited by GreenTealael

Seems to be dependent on the team. Small amounts of natural nut butters or avocado (i. e. health fats) are even recommended now during the first four weeks by the nutritionists in my team.

However, they also have no problems with people having full fat cheese or milk. This seems to be way different from the approach that's most touted on here.

Just now, summerset said:

Seems to be dependent on the team. Small amounts of natural nut butters or avocado (i. e. health fats) are even recommended now during the first four weeks by the nutritionists in my team.

However, they also have no problems with people having full fat cheese or milk. This seems to be way different from the approach that's most touted on here.

They also advise patients not to count calories. The Protein requirement is dependent on height and physical activity level.

5 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

NO on the Peanut Butter - You are to early and that is too high in sugar and fat! However the powders are ok

I have consumed 55 gallons of the powder in my shakes! One tablespoon one bannana and 2 scoops powder and almond milk!

Im gonna try that it sounds good what does it taste like

I dipped into the Peanut Butter my first week post op--just licked on a teaspoon to satisfy a desire to have something with substance. Later I confessed to my bari team, and they said to avoid it because of the fat and calorie content for a serving to give me any measurable Protein. But they also said a teaspoon is not a deal-buster and if it keeps me sane to have that taste, keep it small, no more than a teaspoon, once in a while as a treat.

I added a small amount of smooth Peanut Butter to my Protein Shakes (occasionally) while in the full liquid phase (cream soups). As long as you aren't indulging in "crunchy" peanut butter, it fits with a soft food phase. Disclaimer: when in doubt, always check with your bariatric team.

The biggest problem with peanut butter is that it is calorie-dense and your whole goal here is calorie restriction.