Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vsg or rny and why?

Wondering which one you chose and why?

And any complication ?

see link below

https://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/gastric-sleeve-vs-bypass.html

I am a sleeve almost 6 years out and maintaining. Less invasive and less chance of dumping syndrome. No complications.

Wondering which one you chose and why?
And any complication ?

I had severe GERD. If you have any reflux the risk it will get worse with sleeve is very high. So RNY for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I had GERD before surgery, so it was a no-brainer: RNY. I've been very happy with my choice - no complications.

Sleeve cuz that is what the doctor said is best for me! No regrets or issues

I needed to have a revision after my 11 year old lap band slipped. I thought I wanted a sleeve, but when the surgeon explained about the risk of GERD after a sleeve I went with the RNY, since I had GERD before I got my lap band.

The RNY isn't really any more invasive than the sleeve-actually is it theoretically reversible, unlike the sleeve where they remove 80% if your stomach. And the threat of dumping syndrome has aided me in not eating any sugary foods, which I consider to be a plus rather than a minus.

19 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

I needed to have a revision after my 11 year old lap band slipped. I thought I wanted a sleeve, but when the surgeon explained about the risk of GERD after a sleeve I went with the RNY, since I had GERD before I got my lap band.

The RNY isn't really any more invasive than the sleeve-actually is it theoretically reversible, unlike the sleeve where they remove 80% if your stomach. And the threat of dumping syndrome has aided me in not eating any sugary foods, which I consider to be a plus rather than a minus.

How long is the actual surgery for rny? And after how do u feel ?

Everyone different. I was in good shape going into mine, walked and drank like I was supposed to and had very little pain at all, home the next day and no pain in a couple days once the gas pains went away. surgery was an hour and a half or so.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My surgeon recommends the sleeve to everyone under normal circumstances unless they have GERD. If I had GERD I would have gotten a bypass. No complications, very pleased.

42 minutes ago, JessLess said:

My surgeon recommends the sleeve to everyone under normal circumstances unless they have GERD. If I had GERD I would have gotten a bypass. No complications, very pleased.

Amazing and the sleeve is working for you and less complications?

In our province of Manitoba, the government offers the RNYGB as the gold standard of care, and the sleeve only if that isn’t an option. I ended up with the RNYGB and am a month out. As this procedure is covered by our provincial healthcare the assumption is that going into surgery one assumes that s/hé will wake up having had the RNYGB but it might have been a sleeve if the liver wasn’t shrunken enough or there was another issue.

50 minutes ago, chalcrow said:

In our province of Manitoba, the government offers the RNYGB as the gold standard of care, and the sleeve only if that isn’t an option. I ended up with the RNYGB and am a month out. As this procedure is covered by our provincial healthcare the assumption is that going into surgery one assumes that s/hé will wake up having had the RNYGB but it might have been a sleeve if the liver wasn’t shrunken enough or there was another issue.

Thank u . I was given the choice I guess because of possible scar tissues from previous c sections and a abdominal cyst removal as well just really scared of getting gerd and I like the option of reversible in bad circumstances.

4 hours ago, Socee said:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I don't think it's been answered yet . My RNY took a little over an hour (revisions generally take longer than that, though). I had an easy recovery and very little pain with it.

Sleeve. Didn't need to lose as much weight as some, no history of reflux. 7 mo out, no complications, ahead of schedule.

9 hours ago, Socee said:

Amazing and the sleeve is working for you and less complications?

Yes. I have lost almost 90 lbs. and am still losing very slowly a year and a half out. The only thing, and I would hardly call it a complication, is mild Constipation, so I eat 3 prunes every morning with Breakfast. It works. I'm thrilled with the whole experience.

I can't say LESS complications because I have only had the one procedure. I would have had either.

Edited by JessLess