Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any bike suggestions?

The saddle being a killer on your bum can have more than one reason: not the right saddle or - even if you have the right saddle - it has to be properly adjusted for your more sensitive parts not to hurt. Also your sitting bones need to adjust to the pressure and this takes time. If you got a gravel bike I guess you also notice some pain in your hands?

Also do you wear padded bike shorts? Thin padding? Firmer, thicker padding?

Now this has nothing to do with you having problems riding uphill. That's being out of shape I fear.

@summerset no hand pain, fortunately. I have a pair of padded bike shorts arriving in the mail tomorrow with thicker padding, but their quality is not amazing... I didn't want to splurge on them as I'm still losing weight and unsure how long they'll fit.

I did get the saddle adjusted when I purchased the bike. I'm short, so they had to move it forward and cut the seatpost down. I'll see how I do with the new shorts, hopefully that'll be all I need... If not, I'll go back to the shop and see if they have any suggestions. Crossing my fingers that the shorts will be enough! I think part of why I get tired is that it's uncomfortable to pedal while sitting, so I end up standing up to pedal and wearing myself out. That, and I just need to keep getting out there and continue training 😅.

" ... anyone have any tips that helped them?"

1) Upgrade your seat/saddle. I got my GF this one (wide version) https://www.rei.com/product/152865/bontrager-boulevard-bike-saddle.

2) Make sure you're in a nice low gear for even slight inclines until you build some endurance. It will seem that you're pedaling fast but not getting anywhere but you'll be getting your exercise and not over taxing your joints or muscles.

1 hour ago, Double_Me said:

@summerset no hand pain, fortunately. I have a pair of padded bike shorts arriving in the mail tomorrow with thicker padding, but their quality is not amazing... I didn't want to splurge on them as I'm still losing weight and unsure how long they'll fit.

I did get the saddle adjusted when I purchased the bike. I'm short, so they had to move it forward and cut the seatpost down. I'll see how I do with the new shorts, hopefully that'll be all I need... If not, I'll go back to the shop and see if they have any suggestions. Crossing my fingers that the shorts will be enough! I think part of why I get tired is that it's uncomfortable to pedal while sitting, so I end up standing up to pedal and wearing myself out. That, and I just need to keep getting out there and continue training 😅.

There is a Chinese brand called Cheji, and they are all over ebay and Amazon. I swear they are as good as the high end brands when it comes to padding, etc. They are really inexpensive too!!

Also, the more you ride, the tougher your sit bones will get!

Edited by ChubRub

10 hours ago, Double_Me said:

I'll go back to the shop and see if they have any suggestions. Crossing my fingers that the shorts will be enough!

Bike shorts need to be a really snug fit so I guess they won't fit for that long. Keep in mind that more padding is not always better, neither is a padded saddle, especially on longer rides. Did they measure sitting bone distance before recommending a saddle?

Definitely go back if the shorts don't solve the problem. There are often only subtle changes to be made, e. g. my saddles need to have a very slight tilt down in the front so I get the pressure on my sitting bones accordingly and most pressure off the female parts.

Just keep at it and don’t over do it. Finding the right saddle and getting it set up right can be a bit tricky but you’ll get there, the padded shorts will help a bunch.

Getting out of puff on hills is normal for us more luxuriously padded folk - that’s why cyclists are all ridiculously thin. To make it easier just make sure you’re using your gears properly and don’t try and be a hero, try and keep the same rhythm regardless of slope by using the correct gear. It all takes a bit of time to get the right technique but you’ll get it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Today I went riding with a new pair of bike shorts with plenty of padding. They helped, but I think what made the biggest difference was going riding in the afternoon instead of first thing in the morning- It was like night and day! I was able to complete the track I normally take without breaking a sweat, whereas before I was struggling to pedal up my driveway. I'm going to go for another ride in the morning and see if I experience the same fatigue. Has this happened to anyone else, where exercise 1st thing in the morning wears you out quickly?

Time in saddle and yes to padded diaper spandex shorts!!

Yes!!! I’ve been mystified by my inability to workout in the morning post-surgery. It’s like I know I’m strong but my muscles just can’t do anything. They have nothing to give so early and I assume it’s because I don’t have enough calories consumed yet to feed them really. Also I don’t bike outside, I have a peloton and my ass hurt FOREVERRRRR. I bought padded underwear which helped until my bum just got used to the seat. I still often stand up and cycle just to relieve some of the pressure. I tell everyone just to stick through it as your bumbum WILL adjust eventually. The only downside I’d the padded underwear for me was pantylines through my leggings lol

5 hours ago, DenverGirl88 said:

I still often stand up and cycle just to relieve some of the pressure.

Standing up once in a while or slightly shifting on the saddle helps a lot. It gets the blood flowing again. Whenever I get the chance I get up for a few seconds (easier to do when biking in a more hilly area).