Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Costs of vitamins and calcium

What does it cost you monthly for Vitamins and Calcium?

I will be taking B12, Multivitamin and calcium citrate with D3. Bariactric vitamins are expensive but I will be able to take Woman's Centrum chewable. calcium chews look like at least $50 per month if need 500mg three per day. I can eventually take CITACEL 1200mg slow release but not until I can swallow that large a pill.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have't calculated the cost yet, but I figure it will be a hell of a lot cheaper per month than the food crap I use to buy :)

Edited by Hop_Scotch

not that expensive. I take the generic version of Centrum that both CVS and Walgreens carry (I don't take chewables anymore - I switched to regular tablets a few months after surgery). They go on sale all the time - buy one get one free or buy one get one half off. I get giant bottles (300 or so tablets) - so two of those will last me a year. I also get the generic calcium citrate at Walgreens or CVS when it's on sale (BOGO or BOGOHO).

and like another poster said, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than all the food I used to eat before surgery.

10 hours ago, over65 said:

It depends on your preferences. You can have it quite cheap or you can spend a fortune. If you like the taste of the less expensive stuff and have no problems with intolerances you don't have to spend a lot of money.

Please check back with your team regarding the slow release stuff. We were advised not to take anything depot or slow release.

I have been warned not to buy large quantities of Vitamins at once as they can become outdated. Especially 2 for 1 sales. Double check for expiration dates. Old vitamins lose potency. Also, since FDA does not regulate vitamins, only buy trusted company brands. I was thinking of early postop when can't swallow pills.< br>
I am single so have always shopped to just feed myself. My food budget right now (protein shakes and fresh veggies) exceeds what I paid previously.

11 hours ago, over65 said:

I am still a couple of months from surgery and have already kicked around some numbers for post-op specialty Bariatric Vitamins. Yes. they are a bit on the expensive side compared to other brands. I also factored in the massive saving in food costs post-op, going back one year on expenditures put on a single credit card I use for just about everything (Points!) I was amazed on how much money I was spending on fast food.

1/3 of the money spent on fast foods would easily pay for the increased cost in Bariatric vitamins so for me its basically a wash.

I was told by my doctor and nutritionist to only take bariatric Multivitamins because of the lack of FDA approval per the previous comment made. I did use Biatric fusion, but they do not have a one per day pill, so now I have ordered a one per day from BiatricPal. Has anyone tried their brand?

Bariatric Vitamins are not regulated by FDA either, So who knows if you"re just getting an expensive version of a deficient Vitamin. Don't know if any companies making bariactric vitamins are voluntarily testing their products.

I never bought fast food or ate out so difference in food budget so my food budget won't change. I have been eating low carb, whole food (no processed foods) so my diet will be very much the same, So vitamins and Calcium will be extra expense for me.