Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It has been close to 2 1/2 years since my WLS surgery. I hit my goal weight around April of 2018 and have been struggling daily to maintain it. I have what I call a red line weight of 160 lbs that I don't want to go over. I weigh myself every Friday and if I hit 159/160lbs I automatically go into full drop weight mode. It seems that I'm going into this mode more and more as I get further from my surgery. I had to take a deeper look into not only what I'm eating, how much I'm eating and when I'm eating. What I'm eating is pretty much the same as before since I usually eat the same thing every day. It makes it easier for me to plan my meals since I tend to make poor food choices when given too many options. As for the quantity, I do eat more since I have less of a restriction. I don't mean to say that I eat plates of food. in the past I might eat 1/2 a can of tuna fish for lunch now I eat the whole can. As to when I eat, that seems to be my downfall. I have noticed that I am snacking a lot more in front of the TV. I believe that I snack on healthy stuff such as nuts, Peanut Butter and edame Beans. But it's the time that I believe is causing me to have weight fluctuations. Usually late night. I now have started to cut all eating from 8PM to 8AM in the hopes that the 12 hour cessation of foods will allow my body to somehow balance itself out. I'd be interested if anyone here has tried this and if so, has it helped or does anyone else have any other suggestions. Mahalo in advance.

Aloha

There's a huge thread dedicated to this (Intermittent Fasting) on the board.

But I'm just going to be honest with you, its probably the nuts/nut butters. I eat them to maintain my weight so I know first hand that they can easily cause gains because when I stop for a while I lose a few lbs. They need to be measured or there's a huge portion distortion.

OMG-Peanut-Butter-1024x1024.jpg

100calnutslabel.thumb.jpg.ad163ee776cfec3278408449fc5bbefc.jpg

peanutbutter_servingsizes-345x345.jpg

21765132_2043939912521161_4970963537688813682_n.jpg

Edited by GreenTealael

Yep @Danny Paul I too noticed this from about the 18month mark. It's tiny changes, right? I can now eat 4-5oz of Protein at dinner rather than 3oz. I can have larger portions of raw and leafy veggies. I tolerate more fat in my diet. And the bedtime snack is alive and well and living in my house. Grrrr! It sucks to have to be so diligent, doesn't it?

I do weigh and measure especially things like nuts and nutbutters and cheese because they add up so quickly and my "estimated" serving size is NEVER what I "think" it is. LOL. Just like the awesome visual from @GreenTealael!!!

I think you will figure out a plan that works for you because you are diligent and aware and take ownership of your food relationships. And we can hardly ask for more than that! Right? So I have faith you will figure it out.

I do wonder though, because I've observed so many people 2+ years out struggle with night time hunger, do you think this "is a thing"--a phenomenon experienced by most post op-ers at 2 years or so? Cuz I do think it is a huge culprit for scale creep.

But like Tea said, IF is a wonderful tool. If I didn't IF 3-4 days per week with caloric restriction, I believe I would be up at least 10-15 lbs already. :( Instead, with IF, I'm able to maintain and defend 130-135lbs, but not without considered attention to detail. Luckily. I like attending to detail, and eating as I do. I don't feel deprived, even with IF or with calorie restriction on ADF. But I do wish it was more steady-state and I suspect bedtime Snacks do impact this teeter-totter.

I don't know if this helps you @Danny Paul but I almost always will just eat Protein heavy meals in the PM.

I eat the bulk of the carbs im going to have early in the day when i may need the boost of energy

I don't try to eat nuts fruit vegetables etc just something with protein. Like yogurt, Halo top or a piece of a Protein Bar (that I like) if I'm hungry at night.

*Also (a harder job) you may need to break the pattern of Classical Conditioning (Pavlov- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov) of associating food and entertainment (eating & TV)

Good Luck ❤

Mahalo for all of the great advice. I do measure the nuts at 1/4 cup.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:48 PM, GreenTealael said:

you may need to break the pattern of Classical Conditioning (Pavlov- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov) of associating food and entertainment (eating & TV)

That's the main reason to stop eating at 8PM I'm trying to break that pattern. It is difficult but I'm getting used to it.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:23 PM, FluffyChix said:

I've observed so many people 2+ years out struggle with night time hunger,

I don't have hunger it's like Tea quoted associating food and entertainment. (Eating and TV) That's been a problem since early on in my post surgery. I guess I've come to realize it now.

I use a "pacifier". :) I do Happy Color on my phone while watching TV, to keep my hands occupied. And I also allow hot decaff coffee or tea.

I

3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

And I also allow hot decaff coffee or tea.

I'm doing the same. (Great minds think alike)

9 minutes ago, Danny Paul said:

I

I'm doing the same. (Great minds think alike)

It's very soothing isn't it? And the bitterness takes away any random cravings. :) But the activity is killer helpful!