Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you throw out your big clothes as motivation to never return to your pre-weight, or did you keep your old clothes 'in case' you regained your weight?

I am tempted to throw away my clothes as I (hopefully) lose weight post-procedure but I am worried I'll need them again in the future.

What are your thoughts?!

Edited by Jon7z

Think positive, you aren't going to need them. Recycle them, give them to a charity...there are many people who need them for than you will.

I donated all and now I'm still donating the newer clothes as well!!!!! If u r smart wait and see where this journey takes you and then once you settle in to a maintainable weight then buy clothes!!!! Lesson learned for me!!!! Hope this helps and good luck in your journey!!!

Edited by jaytissle55

I have looked like a Homeless guy for the last 6 months, I have now just started picking up a few things that fit. I did this as a way of reminding me how dang fat and out of shape i was. I had a huge wardrobe of huge clothes so i have donated Lawn and Leaf bags full of clothes. I am never going back to that size would rather be dead!

Sure has pissed off the kids walking around in big baggy clothes for the last few months

I kept a few big clothes, ones that I liked, so I could do a before and after comparison after I lost all the weight. Joke was on me though, as I needed a more than a few of those items when I gained back about 50 pounds. This time around (I just had revision surgery), I’m going to toss or donate them, since there’s no stronger motivation to stay on track than having to buy new bigger clothes once again!

I still have ALL of my big clothes. Not because I think I'll need them later, but because I have been too lazy to get rid of them. If I ever get around to it, I plan on sorting them into piles for selling/giving to people/donating. There is just sooooo much of them that every time I look at them I'm like, "Nah, not today".

🙄

Edited by ms.sss

I am planning on selling mine. I have a closet that is half full of too big clothing!

6 hours ago, Jon7z said:

Did you throw out your big clothes as motivation to never return to your pre-weight, or did you keep your old clothes 'in case' you regained your weight?

I am tempted to throw away my clothes as I (hopefully) lose weight post-procedure but I am worried I'll need them again in the future.

What are your thoughts?!

I donated all of my pre WLS clothes to either charity or good friends/family

There were a few pieces I bought post WLS that became to big, I tailored to my new sizes

5 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

I have looked like a Homeless guy for the last 6 months, I have now just started picking up a few things that fit. I did this as a way of reminding me how dang fat and out of shape i was. I had a huge wardrobe of huge clothes so i have donated Lawn and Leaf bags full of clothes. I am never going back to that size would rather be dead!

Sure has pissed off the kids walking around in big baggy clothes for the last few months

I'm sure my work place thinks they should do a clothing drive for me, hahaha! I've been wearing leggings and baggy jeans. I hate clothes shopping. I've donated the items that I know are ridiculously too big, but kept the stuff that kind of fits still.

Wow, thanks for all your responses. It seems the consensus is that it's better to get rid of old clothes.

It seems very drastic to get rid of decades of clothing, but I can see the value of going post-WSL with a postive 'never-going-back' attitude!

I am 5 1/2 months post op and I am down 93 lbs since pre-op and 78 lbs since surgery. I was so embarrassed when my CEO said I really needed to stop wearing my big clothes. I immediately went out bought new clothes and gave away my old ones.

I've already purged my closet and I kept what I wanted to keep. I will have to buy clothes, as my size 14 pants were starting to get extra baggy prior to surgery. I have some really nice pieces that'll be altered once I make it to the maintenance phase. My button down shirts will now become shirt dresses, used for layering and I will donate pieces that I don't love. Jeans and work pants will go to women shelters or to my church. I will go to the Goodwill or somewhere very affordable during the rapid weight loss process. I plan on paying it forward. I'm blessed to have this opportunity, even though I'm struggling right now.

Hi, I have some clothes that were too small before surgery, but I'm only 2weeks post op, and I'm really looking forward to wearing them in the future, in my country, getting clothes at size 48 is almost impossible, so that was a big problem for me, hopefully in the next 6 months or so, I will be able to wear normal sized clothes again. Looking to completely revamp my style. 😀😀

3 hours ago, DivyanChris said:

Hi, I have some clothes that were too small before surgery, but I'm only 2weeks post op, and I'm really looking forward to wearing them in the future, in my country, getting clothes at size 48 is almost impossible, so that was a big problem for me, hopefully in the next 6 months or so, I will be able to wear normal sized clothes again. Looking to completely revamp my style. 😀😀

This was one of my FAVOURITE past times during weight loss phase! I organized ALL my "skinny" and "less fat" clothes by size in sections of my closet and I would go in every week or so and try on clothes in the next smaller sized section, then give myself a self-five when they fit, and maybe dance around a bit.

Eventually they all moved to another room and formed into that giant pile of clothes that I'm too lazy to sort.

I suspect like many of us, you will start to love shopping again! Come check us out/join us on the OOTD thread: