Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I met a very sweet young lady the day of surgery at the hospital who was having the same surgery as me same day so we have kept in touch. Well she sniffs cocaine occasionally and is ready to start back we are a week out. What affects would that have on her new pouch. Would that cause problems for her. I’ve been Basically her support system and told her about this group and told her she should join to talk with more people in her situation but i wanna know what will happen if she does cocaine this early. Yes I told her she should seek help to stop which she is but she said shes young very healthy and only do it every now and then so she dont see herself being a addict because she can stop when she wants but shes not ready.

1 hour ago, BecomingAnna said:

she dont see herself being a addict because she can stop when she wants but shes not ready.

Not an expert, but the "I can stop whenever I want to...just not now" thing is a pretty classic addict line. Addicts, especially young ones, rarely consider themselves to be addicts. Her coke habit may not seem like a problem now, but these things have a nasty habit of spiraling. If I was in your position, I would advise her to be honest with her doctor about her cocaine use. At the very least her doctor can explain what the impacts would be on her post-OP stomach.

Coke is a highly additive drug, and then there is the complication of transfer of an addiction. Some people after weight loss surgery transfer a food addiction to alcohol or drugs.

As above, hopefully at the very least she can be encouraged to be discuss with her doctor.

Edited by Hop_Scotch

10 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Coke is a highly additive drug, and then there is the complication of transfer of an addiction. Some people after weight loss surgery transfer a food addiction to alcohol or drugs.

As above, hopefully at the very least she can be encouraged to be discuss with her doctor.

Yeah I tried She Wont Talk To a Dr. She asked me What do i think and honeslty i dont Know thats why I was hoping someone here could tell her if it would affect her new pouch or healing 🤷🏽‍♀️

Why did I think think this post was going to be about the soda😀 I was ready to say that I had not had one in over a year and at certain times I want one really bad. But I see this is something way more serious. Unfortunately, people can only change when they want to. I am not sure the damage they will done with her having this serious addiction but there is only so much you can do. If you have offered advise and expressed your concerns it may be time to step back. I wish both of you the best.

She is not "healthy" if needed WLS. Obesity is major health problem. She sounds like typical minimizer. I am healthy and I am not addicted. Cocaine can cause death if electrolytes get out of whack, especially potassium. Messing with cocaine immediately following WLS is huge danger if not able to stay hydrated. In particular, heart rhythm problems.

I'm curious about how she even got passed for surgery in the first place. My surgeons office required you to pass a psche eval and drug testing for six months. I take Valium per prescription so I always had benzodiapines in my system, but at low levels since I only take them when I have flare ups of my back injury. If they detect anything you're not supposed to be taking you have to 1. start all over and 2. seek help to stop your habit and thus it'll take longer to get approved. If you even do. The surgeons office failed in that as if she picks the cocaine habit back up it may very well kill her.