Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to make vegetables cost less/add value

Posted (edited)

I've done the math. I like spinach. I like it alot. I like it so much that I have eaten a 100gram bag every day for a week.

The bags cost like 5dollars a pack. I don't like frozen ones that are considerably less in cost. So, 7x5 = 35 dollars for spinach this week.

My goal this year was to save all the 5500 dollars I used on the surgery last year, and thus I try to live very sparse. It is not uncommon to spend 1000 dollars on grocery a month were I live, but I try to live both more cost effiecent, while eating healty, and not living of tasteless, useless fastfood/cheap brands. And I try to use all foods so I spare the enviroment, not wasting foods. I know, it's a high hanging apple.

I was thinking about growing a Tomato plant, a cucumber plant, paprika and maybe some other, simple stuff that I can grow in a pot, in my house. Since I live a place where winter is from october to april and nothing grows outside😂. Is it worth the work and time? I have no green fingers, and all flower die the second they cross my door step.

Edit: I have some things that grow in my yard in the summer. Spring onions, rhubarb, about a million rasberry and currant trees which I never am able to pick entirely clean etc.

Edited by MsMocie

Do you have a Sam's or costco? You can get the ginormous containers of spinach there (organic) for about the same price as the small grocery container? Same thing with other veggies. Also, there's a Restaurant Depot that you have to get a membership (free) to that sells veg meats, etc by the case pack. Maybe you could start a co-op and split the cases with family/friends? I'd do that before I went to the expense of growing indoors. Cuz I don't think you could keep up with demand and the water/time/electricity/heat/fertilizer to grow indoors would quickly mount.

Another option that WOULD be healthy and feasible would be to grow seed flats of microgreens and use them as a huge source of nourishment.

Or you could build a grow house outside and plant hydroponics but that's a huge initial outlay that might never pay off...

There are some "ugly veggie" delivery companies where you can order things by the box that's supposed to save around 30%?

28 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Do you have a Sam's or costco? You can get the ginormous containers of spinach there (organic) for about the same price as the small grocery container? Same thing with other veggies. Also, there's a Restaurant Depot that you have to get a membership (free) to that sells veg meats, etc by the case pack. Maybe you could start a co-op and split the cases with family/friends? I'd do that before I went to the expense of growing indoors. Cuz I don't think you could keep up with demand and the water/time/electricity/heat/fertilizer to grow indoors would quickly mount.

Another option that WOULD be healthy and feasible would be to grow seed flats of microgreens and use them as a huge source of nourishment.

Or you could build a grow house outside and plant hydroponics but that's a huge initial outlay that might never pay off...

There are some "ugly veggie" delivery companies where you can order things by the box that's supposed to save around 30%? 

This just sounds like a lot of work I am certain I am not able to commit to😂 It is nice to know ones own boundaries. I thought of like buying a bag of ceeds and a pot and grow it in my window😂

The thing about Norway is that there is really not much difference from grocery chains to grocery chains. They are all owned by the same 2 owners and the price is fairly equal because of competition.

But I thought of one thing, and that is these foregin, local independent shops usually owned by asians or middel easterns (no not racist, this is a fact). And also might check upon local farmers and co-op gardeners.

10 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

But I thought of one thing, and that is these foregin, local independent shops usually owned by asians or middel easterns (no not racist, this is a fact). And also might check upon local farmers and co-op gardeners.

Honestly? In the end, that's what we arrived at too. We go to the big costco/sam's stuff for some things. HEBing for others and the farmers' markets and Asian stores for still other stuff. :) It's an adventure and we don't have to go to some of those things every month, more like a field trip. LOL.

11 hours ago, MsMocie said:

But I thought of one thing, and that is these foregin, local independent shops usually owned by asians or middel easterns (no not racist, this is a fact).

Same in Germany with these independent shops. Things like rice or tofu are e. g. usually cheapest at East Asian food markets.