Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much water at once?

I am almost 12 weeks out and although I know I can't chug Water, I will take several sips at a time, then several more. I think I did this too many times today because I think it made me nauseous? Anyone else drink too much water and have similar issues?

It happens from time to time. I might forget that I can't chug anymore and do that. Most of the time, I'll feel nauseated for about five minutes and it'll pass, or I'll just spit up the Water I drank.

LOL - Everybody here has done that - Welcome to the mistake club, eventually you get the hang of it

@Tiredmimi you are very fortunate to be nauseous or anything close to it, I envy you. I'm laying here in the hospital after being sleeved yesterday, March 3rd, 2020 and each mili- sip feels crazy going down. I've only managed to consume 2 ozs. of Water since yesterday. I've vomited and sleep, got a dose of morphine late last night. I'm still optimistic about this water consumption. I love water as well, so we can't have a complicated relationship. I need water in my life, even if I add Crystal Light at times. Darn, I hope that's an option still. This little angry banana stomach of mines.

I pray it gets better for you. I think I was really out of the norm because most people do have a hard time in the beginning. the weird part Is I never have liked Water and really hated the idea I would have to give up my mountain dews. I really have been worried that something was wrong with my surgery since I could drink it like that. I dont know why there is such a difference. I hope it turns around for you quickly! Lol💗

Edited by Tiredmimi

So happy I found this site. Tomorrow I will be one week post op from gastric sleeve and I started slow using the tiny cups to take small sips of Water but then today on day 6 I noticed I was drinking a lot more, still smaller sips than usual but I’m almost positive it was more than the recommended 4oz an hour. Now I’m sitting here thinking there’s something wrong with my new stomach or maybe I somehow stretched it out. Is it ok to drink more water if you can tolerate it? Or will it stretch my stomach or harm me in some way?! Any insight would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

14 hours ago, BeccaF89 said:

So happy I found this site. Tomorrow I will be one week post op from gastric sleeve and I started slow using the tiny cups to take small sips of Water but then today on day 6 I noticed I was drinking a lot more, still smaller sips than usual but I’m almost positive it was more than the recommended 4oz an hour. Now I’m sitting here thinking there’s something wrong with my new stomach or maybe I somehow stretched it out. Is it ok to drink more Water if you can tolerate it? Or will it stretch my stomach or harm me in some way?! Any insight would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

The farther out you get from surgery, the more comfortable it is to drink water. You aren't really filling your belly with water unless you just chug it (please don't, it hurts). It glides right on through. Please don't stop drinking water, especially if you can tolerate it a little more. Water is the best thing you can do for yourself in the early stages. ❤️ Congrats on your one week. ❤️