Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin / Supplements

I'll be having DS surgery in about 6 weeks and starting to do some research on the Vitamins and supplements I will need to take.

There are many choices out there and some have a higher percentage of certain vitamins than others. One brand will have a higher amount of Vitamin A than the other but the other brand has higher amount of Vitamin E etc. What is the best way to determine which brand is better than the other? Of course, price is a factor also. Thanks in advance !

I consider myself a expert on this matter - Took me months - I take the fusion bari Vitamin daily - However that was not even close enough for me - I hit myself with liquid vitamins due to a higher absorption rate also - Before I go to bed for the night i take a GNC 50 plus scope of powder in a small Protein Drink.

The key is going to be blood tests to see where you are at - Once you get the hang of it the rest is easy. Now I am out of control on this matter and i really think this was a key to my success so you do not have to go this crazy i just chose to do this - Now i do not take all the little white bottles daily about one of them once a week

Vitamins.jpg

1 hour ago, Rose57 said:

What is the best way to determine which brand is better than the other? Of course, price is a factor also.

The dieticians in my treatment team usually recommend some brands you can choose from (different price categories). They also provide a checklist what the supplement has to contain exactly if you choose to take a different brand.

Once you know what amount of RDA you have to take daily (I bet you already know that requirements for the DS are different than for e. g. a sleeve) you could start by ordering samples. You can then check both taste and tolerance. Not everyone likes and tolerates the same products.

You have to take that stuff daily, some more than one time and you don't want something in your supplement arsenal you don't like.

Edited by summerset

these guidelines from the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery are from 2016, but still current. Scroll down a few pages to see the Vitamin requirements for each type of surgery (including DS). Just make sure your Vitamins of choice meet the requirements:

https://asmbs.org/app/uploads/2017/06/ASMBS-Nutritional-Guidelines-2016-Update.pdf

It will vary from person to person within your surgical population, but your program will put out a recommended starting point and maybe specific products. But, after a few months or a year or so, your labs will dictate what is needed. For instance, those with the traditional BPD/DS will usually start out with a dry ADEKs tablet (water soluble version of the fat soluble Vitamins A,E,D and K) in addition to Iron and Calcium (and probably a multivitamin). But after a lab test or two, most will drop the ADEKs and go with individual vitamins as they will find that, for instance, they need more D and K and less A and E.

So, it's not worth worrying too much about what product to take initially, as at best it is an educated guess. But any of them will be a good starting point from which you can make later adjustments.

@Rose57 Who is doing your DS? Is it a traditional DS or Sadi/Sips? I need to know before I can then give you some advice regarding supplementation. 🙂

Dr Mitchell Roslin in Chappaqua, NY. Not exactly sure which type but I do know that he developed some sort of variation to the DS. My insurance just got approved so I haven't had another consult with him Thank you in advance.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:45 PM, Rose57 said:

Dr Mitchell Roslin in Chappaqua, NY. Not exactly sure which type but I do know that he developed some sort of variation to the DS. My insurance just got approved so I haven't had another consult with him Thank you in advance.

@Rose57Dr. Roslin is one of the foremost surgeon regarding Sips. He's been doing it for quite a while. Regarding supplementation, it's somewhere between a RNY and traditional DS. The nutritionist should give you documentation regarding what to eat and what to take. I've been to their support groups In Manhattan and she seems to have a good handle on it.

Edited by Postop

Thank you. I did receive documentation from a nutritionist but I like to do some research on my own. I plan on going to a support group meeting in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your response.

@Rose57Always a good idea.

I like the Thursday meetings 🙂

@Rose57I can give you some advice regarding specific pills, though. If you find yourself needing Vitamin A supplements, it must be Palmitate or Retinol. No beta-carotene. It also can’t be one which is A and D together as many are. It must be separate.

If you find you need Vit. D supplements, it must be D3/cholecalciferol.

No gel caps. Only dry pills or capsules. Hope that helps.

Edited by Postop

@Rose57As things come to me...If you need to supplement Calcium, only citrate will do. No carbonate. But warehouse store brands are certainly acceptable.