Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a surgery date for the beginning of April! I’m so excited and completely overwhelmed. I’m expecting some pain or discomfort? Did it hurt? What was your pain level? I’m not a huge veggie person, so I’m nervous about that too. Anything to help ease my mind would be wonderful!

I’m in the same boat with you! Someone told me today that it’s likely your taste with change after surgery. Let’s hope it does

49 minutes ago, Chelsea0604 said:

I have a surgery date for the beginning of April! I’m so excited and completely overwhelmed. I’m expecting some pain or discomfort? Did it hurt? What was your pain level? I’m not a huge veggie person, so I’m nervous about that too. Anything to help ease my mind would be wonderful!

Congratulations on your date! Honestly, there was more discomfort than pain. The most pain I had was stomach cramping from gas, but the easiest way to get rid of that is to WALK WALK WALK. You will be uncomfortable, but you gotta. I didn't end up taking any pain meds at all besides what they gave me during surgery, but everyone is different.

As for veggies, I wasn't either, but your taste buds DO change a little. Things you loved before you won't be able to stand, and you'll start craving more healthy foods. I'm eating more veggies now than I ever did before, and I actually enjoy the tastes of them now.

However, you're gonna focus on Protein for a while. My surgeon and dietitian has me on a 2:1 ratio. Twice the protein to the veggies, and I have to eat the protein first and then finish filling up on veggies.

❤️ Good luck with your surgery! ❤️

people are all across the board with pain, but just based on reading a gazillion postings over the last five years or so, I would say most of us have little to no pain with these surgeries. I never even opened my pain pills once I got home from the hospital. The only thing I had was abs that were pretty sore - it felt like I'd done about 100 crunches. But I only felt it when I was transitioning (like from lying down to sitting). If I was just lying there - or sitting there - or standing there - I had no pain.

On 03/02/2020 at 21:42, Sammi_Katt said:

Congratulations on your date! Honestly, there was more discomfort than pain. The most pain I had was stomach cramping from gas, but the easiest way to get rid of that is to WALK WALK WALK. You will be uncomfortable, but you gotta. I didn't end up taking any pain meds at all besides what they gave me during surgery, but everyone is different.

As for veggies, I wasn't either, but your taste buds DO change a little. Things you loved before you won't be able to stand, and you'll start craving more healthy foods. I'm eating more veggies now than I ever did before, and I actually enjoy the tastes of them now.

However, you're gonna focus on Protein for a while. My surgeon and dietitian has me on a 2:1 ratio. Twice the Protein to the veggies, and I have to eat the protein first and then finish filling up on veggies.

❤️ Good luck with your surgery! ❤️

Thank you so much!!

STOP! Your head is messing with you, all i read was negative concerns, Turn that around and think of all the great things that will come from this. You will be healthy and happy and live longer. DO not let the mind games mess with you, as for veggies i just drink the dang things easier, i do not like them much except for potatoes!

you got this stay focused and on track and it will be a awesome journey

I had surgery last Thursday. I ended up having repair on what they said was a very large hernia. I was in surgery for 4 hours. I had mine done robotically. I can tell you that one of the 1st things I heard the recovery nurse say was they put a lot of air in you. I guess because the hernia was unexpected and I had some scar tissue. I have almost no abdominal pain, but a lot of pain from the gas which is getting a little better each day. I have and still am taking my pain meds because I just figured I might as well instead if being in pain. However I am reducing my dosage and will probably stop taking as of tomorrow! You will be fine!

Just had my surgery 10 days ago! I was very excited, but very nervous too--even thought about backing out a couple of times as the day drew near!

Honestly, the first day after surgery was the worst, not because of pain, but because they kept trying to get me to drink fluids, and I just didn't want to. I had some nausea, but no unbearable pain--it was more like an achy discomfort, like when you have a tummy ache. The doctors were great with intravenous pain medication so if I got too achy they gave me this very cool stuff that made me feel oh, so nice, and put me right to sleep...lol I was sent home the day after my surgery with pain pills, but never needed to take them--a couple of Tylenol did the trick for any residual soreness.

Really, by day 4 I felt completely normal, as if nothing had been done at all! Just get ready to enjoy a few days of pampering, and a reason to get some extra sleep. Aside from feeling a little groggy from the anesthesia, you will be fine in a day or two and ready to begin your journey to freedom!