Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any picky eaters out there? How are you doing with food selections?

Edited by AWHITE75

Need more context, dear. Are you talking about being a picky eater in general or becoming a picky eater after WLS? Two different things. :)

I am a picky eater - it is a texture thing for me. I am worried that after surgery I will get so burnt out on the same foods.

I hear that your tastes in foods change after surgery. I don't know if that means texture will be differently interpreted or not too. I'm hoping that I will still enjoy a variety of foods, but who knows? There are lots of people here on the forums that should be able to help give info on this. For a lot of people it seems they experiment a lot to figure out what their new pouch or stomach will tolerate. Sorry, I'm not much help, but I will encourage you to keep looking through the forums because I'm sure it has come up more than once.

All the best!

I am new here but can confirm I am a super picky eater. I have sadly been ridiculed by so many people be it online or in my real life for being a picky eater. Now when I say picky, I mean SUPER picky.

I am currently referred to see a surgeon for a consultation, and I have seen a dietitian in the past year. It may take a bit longer with COVID and such going on currently though.

That's a very subjective question every body will have different experiences me personally I had very little urge to eat for months and my shakes kept me happy for months...

14 hours ago, Superman84 said:

That's a very subjective question every body will have different experiences me personally I had very little urge to eat for months and my shakes kept me happy for months...

Indeed this is a super subjective question. I am super picky and don't eat veggies at all whatsoever. lol

14 minutes ago, theinudemon said:

Indeed this is a super subjective question. I am super picky and don't eat veggies at all whatsoever. lol

Well that's an issue... You should start expanding your horizons...

14 minutes ago, Superman84 said:

Well that's an issue... You should start expanding your horizons...

Yes, I know. I have always been that way and have heard this all of my life.

I am aware I am picky as hell, and people always say this or I get worse comments than this.

For this to be successful for anyone, it is necessary to adjust your diet within your individual tastes in accordance with the recommendations from your program. Basically, Protein and vegetables are the mainstays of your daily intake with some other things added as you go along. If you mean picky like only eating fast food and junk food then you are going to have problems. My friends sister had GBP (paying cash) and lost a grand total of 12 pounds in a year because the only things she "liked" were chocolate milk. macaroni and cheese and cashews. It is important to be open to change your diet unless you want to stay at a dangerously unhealthy weight.

Edited by MIZ60

On 5/20/2020 at 4:35 PM, MIZ60 said:

For this to be successful for anyone, it is necessary to adjust your diet within your individual tastes in accordance with the recommendations from your program. Basically, Protein and vegetables are the mainstays of your daily intake with some other things added as you go along. If you mean picky like only eating fast food and junk food then you are going to have problems. My friends sister had GBP (paying cash) and lost a grand total of 12 pounds in a year because the only things she "liked" were chocolate milk. macaroni and cheese and cashews. It is important to be open to change your diet unless you want to stay at a dangerously unhealthy weight.

I meant more so picky eater as in not liking veggies, liking burgers plain, etc. I am not the picky eater type who only eats mac n cheese, cashews, or whatever else. I always am up to trying foods that aren't favorites of mine.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:57 PM, theinudemon said:

I meant more so picky eater as in not liking veggies, liking burgers plain, etc. I am not the picky eater type who only eats mac n cheese, cashews, or whatever else. I always am up to trying foods that aren't favorites of mine.

I'm 5 weeks pre-op and get a lot of negative and insensitive feedback with this as well. I've been identical with you in being a life-long veggie gag reflex sufferer. I do fine on the diet from Keto and my nutritionist and have no problem with no getting bored with the same things. With the veggie issues, my nut concentrated on slowly introducing veggies into my diet. I found a solution by drinking an 11 oz v-8 healthy greens drink daily. I also have added a half cup of broccoli and a leaf or so of lettuce. I've tried other things a bit at a time and will still keep trying to get things down. My nut ok'd the v8 healthy greens and seems ok with my efforts. She only worried about the Fiber, which I've found plenty of with the zero carb bread from aldi, chia seeds and metamucil. Your nut will target this issue with you and a newer way to see food. I've lost 36 lbs since starting the program in Feb and still losing. My liver fast diet is in a few weeks but I already take Protein Drinks (also giving me fiber) and ready for that. I really, really understand but you can do this. Texture is an issue for me too but I find smoothies and drinks with veggies and limited fruits go down well. Oh, also avacado is my side friend for now too.

It's been several months since you posted this, but I'm curious how things went for you, as I'm the same type of picky. I've even tried hypnotherapy to try to get myself to like, or even not vomit from, vegetables. It didn't work. My nut said I should try V8, but to really not worry too much, as long as I have a good Multivitamin. My surgery is in November.