Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I like to workout a lot so I don’t think it’s too many calories at all. I’d checked with my nutritionist and she said I’m rocking it. I also didn’t want to lose muscle mass or my hair so those calories are all from lean Protein and veggies or some dairy like Greek yogurt. If I ate 400 calories I think I’d be too weak for much else but my activity level and energy has been pretty high even when I was 3 weeks out. My weight loss has been super steady, no stalls yet and that with having got my period currently. I didn’t even put any weight on for it like I normally would.

21 minutes ago, DenverGirl88 said:

I like to workout a lot so I don’t think it’s too many calories at all. I’d checked with my nutritionist and she said I’m rocking it. I also didn’t want to lose muscle mass or my hair so those calories are all from lean Protein and veggies or some dairy like Greek yogurt. If I ate 400 calories I think I’d be too weak for much else but my activity level and energy has been pretty high even when I was 3 weeks out. My weight loss has been super steady, no stalls yet and that with having got my period currently. I didn’t even put any weight on for it like I normally would.

Get it girl! I’m working out and eating around the same amount. Losing steady about 0.75 lbs a day so far!

1 hour ago, DenverGirl88 said:

I didnt mean it as a bad thing. If anything I'm probably taking in too few calories. I get most my Protein from my shakes and have very little desire to eat.

I had my first tele-health follow up from the surgery today. I spoke with a PA for about 20 minutes; It was very helpful, although in fairness I am not having any real issues. She is happy with the amount of my weight loss so far, happy that I am walking 10,000 steps per day, was happy with my water/protein numbers. I had done a weekly report from MFP on calories, Protein, etc. My average calories are just over 700, and the average protein is 67 per day, both of which she said were fine. She encouraged me to add some light weights, she said not to buy anything,, look online, and use full Water bottles as weights.

My program (Brigham/Womens in Boston) does not recommend counting calories, just lead with protein.

On a much more somber note, most of the hospital is now devoted to treating virus patients. She was calling from her home; she has a young child. She is returning to the hospital next week, in a different capacity. She said she is not entirely sure yet where, but clearly it will be dealing with hospitalized patients. I am embarrassed to say I broke down and cried while speaking with her; while I bemoan how bored I am and that I can't see my family and friends, these medical personnel are literally risking their own health. Thank you sure rings hollow. Least I can do is figure out how to help flatten the curve.

Hope you all are well! And staying safe.

On 3/18/2020 at 4:09 PM, doublepau said:

I have the same Vitamins and I developed the same issue. In the beginning all was well and then suddenly I started gagging while chewing them.. I had an appointment via video with my NUT and she suggested taking them with food or right after eating to see how that works. I'm going to try that tomorrow and if not I'm going to email her asking if I can just buy regular vitamins that I can swallow.

Hey Guys, I am a bit late to the party after just finding this group. I had a RNY with minimiser ring on the 18th of Feb. Things haven’t gone as smoothly as expected, but it’s nice to see that I’m not alone after going through this topic. I’m down 58 pounds but am only managing 100-200 calories a day. Having constant nausea, no appetite and the thought of food repulses me. Getting a scope tomorrow, so hoping I will get some answers. If not, then will have to find a way to get used to this new norm. I hope everyone is well. All the best, L x

Hello there:

What is a minimizer ring? I don't think you should presume that 100-200 calories per day will be a new normal for you. Sounds like this needs looking into and I'm glad you're having a scope done. Is you 58 pound weight loss a combined before and after surgery or only after surgery?

I wish you well.

Best,

Grace

Are y'all finding you can still only eat the 2 oz or just a little bit more? If I attempt to eat just a little bit more, I get really bad pains like a horrible heart burn pain. Anyone else?

On 4/17/2020 at 3:24 AM, IAmGrace said:

Hello there:

What is a minimizer ring? I don't think you should presume that 100-200 calories per day will be a new normal for you. Sounds like this needs looking into and I'm glad you're having a scope done. Is you 58 pound weight loss a combined before and after surgery or only after surgery?

I wish you well.

Best,

Grace

Hi Grace,

it’s a soft ring that goes over the small pouch to inhibit pouch stretching later on down the track. My problem was mainly that I used to eat one giant evening meal a day. I’m hoping I learn to eat like a normal person, it was just kind of insurance against regain in future years.

The scope was normal, which is great news, but it confuses me as to why I am struggling to live with theses changes whilst others seem to be having a smooth run.

Yes, I’ve lost 58 pounds from the day of surgery, my last weigh in was Tuesday. I was a few kilos more before I travelled for surgery (I live in a fairly remote town in the middle of Australia). It’s been 2 calendar months since surgery today, it feels like forever, it really has been a terrible time!

17 hours ago, jaymmee said:

Are y'all finding you can still only eat the 2 oz or just a little bit more? If I attempt to eat just a little bit more, I get really bad pains like a horrible heart burn pain. Anyone else?

Hey Jaymmee,

I can’t eat that much yet either, I get a weird hiccup after 2 teaspoons of whatever I can manage and I stop. I have an aversion to all meat and egg so don’t get any of that in. I’ve been managing a really thin watercracker with cheese over 20 minutes, but the cheese has to be cold! Are you eating too fast, or is it a new type of food you are trying?

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

L x

Edited by Loz77
Missed word

Hey all! Hoping everyone is doing well during this anxious time. I am not sure I would have chosen to have this surgery done right before this pandemic...All my friends are stress eating and having virtual happy hours and I am counting Proteins and sipping water! lol. I'm (mostly) kidding; at least when this is FINALLY over I won't have an additional umptydump number of pounds to lose. I do miss wine.....

I just hit 25 pounds since the day of surgery; about 2.5 pounds per week, which is steady and fine by me, although not the really staggering numbers some folks have! But I'm 61, I have hypothyroidism, and a bum knee, so I know it is not going to fall off me, although frankly I am grateful for this loss! I am walking, walking, walking and I am hitting 10,000 steps almost every day, which I am thrilled with. I have half heartedly started some arm exercises, which I hope to step up.

I am using MyFitnessPal to track everything and just found out they have a recipe converter! Game changer. I am playing around with new recipes, which I am really enjoying. Tonight I am making a pesto/spaghetti squash casserole with turkey meatballs. I'd love to know what folks are eating/enjoying.

My current biggest challenges: I need to get serious with some strength training(!); My Water intake is a daily struggle (I forget to sip, and then the number is daunting!) and I am really struggling to NOT "snack" at night. I cannot be trusted around mixed nuts or peanut butter....One day at a time.

Re: Vitamins. The chewable Multivitamin was making me gag and it kept getting worse; Finally I checked in with my team (regular visit) and they said I could use capsules but I need to open it and put it in applesauce. Happily done! I just ordered some new calcium chews. I ordered some swallowable Calcium but they are horse pills! even chopping them in 2 I could not get them down.

These are scary times, and I hope you all are able to share this "lock down" time with supportive family and friends and that you and those you love are staying safe and well. However the world looks when we come out of this, at least we have this opportunity to continue this journey towards healthier versions of us!

Hey @lisafrommassachusetts it’s good to hear from you. I’m glad that you are doing well during this time. I agree with you about having this surgery if we had known this was coming but I really feel like it’s for the best. Before this happened, I was already a stay at home mom and I homeschooled my children so not much has changed for me in that regard. Of course, we can’t really do our regular field trips so we are doing more of nature type things like hiking and so on. My husband is an “essential” worker and has been having to work 7 days a week due to demand so that is different not having him home on the weekends like normal.
I too have been struggling with snacking!! I’m not even hungry but feel as if I need to eat something! I have some cashews and if it gets really bad, I’ll have .2 ounces and that seems to satisfy me.
I just reintroduced salad to my diet and I am in love!!! Grilled chicken, lettuce, Tomato, onion and whatever else I can find with some skinny girl dressing has been so good.
I tried a grilled hamburger last for the first time. Wrapped it in lettuce. I could only have about 1/3 of it but I didn’t feel like it sat very well with me so I will probably wait a while before I try that again. Also, I’ve been having thinly sliced deli turkey with low fat mozzarella stick cheese and a tad bit of mustard as a roll up. That’s been really good.
I know I’m not getting in my fluids nor my Protein but I’m still working at it and trying to find new ideas to get it all in.
Again, it’s good to hear from you and I hope everyone chimes in with a progress report.
be safe!!

Hi Lisa!
I was actually so glad I had my surgery right before the lock downs. It gives me focus and I have a routine down that keeps me grounded. I know otherwise I’d be stress eating and gaining that quarantine 15!! I ended up taking the Bariatric Advantage chews for my daily Vitamin and calcium citrate. I find they taste and look like starburst which ain’t bad at all.
You and I are peas in a pod. I could eat a jar of Peanut Butter and just don’t keep it around. I’m going to make some Protein balls with it soon though and add ground flax for Fiber like I used to. Makes for a nice dessert with the stevia sweetened dark choc chips, honey, and rolled oats.

I’m trying to strength train now but I feel weak as a kitten but all you can do is just do what you can and eventually it will get easier as you get stronger. I often do Kayla Itsines exercises as you can do them at home.

I had meatballs the other day! I got an air fryer and I love it and make them in that. I love to cook so I’m happy to be coming up with new things to try.

I hope you are doing well otherwise, it’s definitely a learning experience but like I say I find the surgery a blessing during this time as my energy and focus is put towards my journey... makes things easier.

I am also happy I had my surgery right before the lockdown. I often feel faint or tired after eating - I'm glad I don't have to deal with eating in social situations right now. I've also been pretty low energy in general, so don't feel like doing much anyway.

Morning Feb Surgery Stars 😊

Not much has really changed here in my little Australian town with regards to the pandemic. All my family continue to work (have 3 adult children all at home still), as do I in the health service. All food is takeaway though, so no date nights, which is fine because I don’t really eat, but I miss that special hubby and I alone time. Other than that, life just seems to be carrying on as usual.

I do feel a bit sad for my sons partner and our grand baby who have been living with us for about 8 months now. Her family is back in our old home town in another state, which means she hasn’t been able to visit her parents, nor them her. Seeing as bubs is growing so quickly, they are missing out on so much! She took 3 steps yesterday!

i haven’t been getting in the fluids and Protein either, but I’m improving each day with just getting something in at least. I’m still at the stage where I deeply regret the surgery, but just because I’ve been so unwell. I crave things like grapes and watermelon. Isn’t it odd how our tastes change from the surgery!

Sending lost of love and positivity to you all who are in the areas of mass suffering.

L x

So surgery was 2/26 so officially 8 weeks out. I started at 345 and am now 305.

Hoping to get under 300 by 4/26 but don't think it'll be possible.