Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 16 days out now from the February 19 surgery.I think everything is going pretty good.I went for my 1st post op visit on Tuesday.For the 1st 2 weeks I was on for liquids and pureed.I have now been cleared to go to soft foods. Can't tell you how good the 1st couple of meals tasted. I can only get about 2 oz down at a time and definitely have to eat slow. My stomach definitely tells me when it's full and that's when I stop. I still have about 1 Protein Shake or smoothie each day to get the required Protein. Been averaging about 450 calories per day.And he told me I could start regular food in about 3 weeks. I can't wait to have a salad. I have been taking Vitamin since in the hospital. And my doctor Said to go ahead and start my full regimen again.I was really surprised that if they have us on liquids and pureed that we are able to swallow pills okay. I've been a little frustrated With the scale. Have lost only 6 lb since surgery. I am not obsessing and I know things will change. I am probably just in the slow losers club.

4 hours ago, Shanto said:

Hello! I am 9 days post op and feeling pretty good but experiencing diarrhea. Anyone else experience this?

Yes tons ha

2 minutes ago, Xx1jpt5xx said:

That looks good. Are you on full or Clear Liquids? If you have a creamier style Soup, how many ounce are you able to get down? I'm not sure how many ounces I'm supposed to have.

I’m one week out, I am not feeling any pain but I am so fatigued I can do hardly anything. I can not drink the Protein drinks at all. The thought alone now sickens me. I have no problem getting fluids down, “other than the protein drinks”. I made a Soup with spinach, leaks, peeled and ribbed tomatoes and one potato. Boiled and blended. I strain it and can eat about 3-4 ounces. I feel like I’m getting a little more energy since today. Hope to add a bit of unflavored protein in a bit. But I’m just glad to be getting some nutrients in right now.

11 minutes ago, Puffy-no-more said:

That looks good. Are you on full or Clear Liquids? If you have a creamier style Soup, how many ounce are you able to get down? I'm not sure how many ounces I'm supposed to have.

I've been on full liquids since I left the hospital but I'm only now branching out into Soups.

I'm 9 days out. I can drink that 11oz Soup in an hour.

10 hours ago, slsvacha said:

Hi All - new to the group.

I had my surgery 2/11 - am still in the "smooth foods" phase. I seem to have hit a stall on the weight loss after only about 15 total pounds. It feels kind of frustrating. I know that it is supposed to be normal to stall - but it feels kind of depressing! I have just started to walk more in the last week or so - before it was too tiring to walk more than about a block. Hopefully the weight loss kicks up again soon.

We have the same surgery date. I've lost 7 pounds but I was already at my goal weight.

I had my vsg on 2/25- I’ve lost 20lbs but I feel as though some of it was bloat due to getting my period the day after surgery. I can’t stand Protein Drinks OR broth so a week after surgery I’d started eating pudding, instant potatoes, and anything else smooth and mixing Protein Powder in everything. I also purchased bariatric foods that already had Protein added- they make protein garlic mashed potatoes and protein hot chocolate!! I now also can eat egg whites, Refried Beans, and a lick of Peanut Butter. I don’t seem to have issues tolerating anything really. The only thing I concentrate on is getting enough Water.

My only issue is possible overdoing it. I have my two week postop visit this Monday and I’m going to mention that my abdominal muscles feel pulled. I feel so good sometimes that I start doing things around the house.. but then later I have sharp pains in my abdominals. I really need to take a step back and rest more.

I really can’t wait to eat some tuna or other foods as I get bored easily. I don’t have cravings for bad food just solid food in general.

22 minutes ago, DenverGirl88 said:

I had my vsg on 2/25- I’ve lost 20lbs but I feel as though some of it was bloat due to getting my period the day after surgery. I can’t stand Protein Drinks OR broth so a week after surgery I’d started eating pudding, instant potatoes, and anything else smooth and mixing Protein Powder in everything. I also purchased bariatric foods that already had Protein added- they make Protein garlic mashed potatoes and protein hot chocolate!! I now also can eat egg whites, Refried Beans, and a lick of Peanut Butter. I don’t seem to have issues tolerating anything really. The only thing I concentrate on is getting enough Water.

My only issue is possible overdoing it. I have my two week postop visit this Monday and I’m going to mention that my abdominal muscles feel pulled. I feel so good sometimes that I start doing things around the house.. but then later I have sharp pains in my abdominals. I really need to take a step back and rest more.

I really can’t wait to eat some tuna or other foods as I get bored easily. I don’t have cravings for bad food just solid food in general.

Girl, were you given some intel on me? I had my RNY on 2/25. Had my period, THAT day and thought all the weight I lost had to do with that as well. I've only lost about 10lbs since my surgery and I feel that is because I went to regular food so quickly. The broth and protein drinks were literally making me vomit. So I tried applesauce and pudding, which seemed to go down ok. Then it was other soft food like macaroni and cheese chewed up real good. I can only eat a little bit, maybe a couple ounces. But I feel like it has hindered my weight loss for some reason? Even though I doubt I am even creeping up on 1000 calories a day.

I don't wanna overdo it myself, still learning though. I have had some pretty significant pain when I eat too much. Or drink too big a gulp. So slow and steady wins the race, right? Go slow, I know I can only walk/do something physical for so long before I need to take a break. I get tired easily and my incisions are still healing. I also am ready for some real foods, especially salad and grilled chicken!

I see my surgeon on Monday and I am afraid to tell him that I have already progressed to some solid foods. I feel like he is going to be mad. Ugh.

On 03/06/2020 at 19:40, TheAngryMeow said:

Girl, were you given some intel on me? I had my RNY on 2/25. Had my period, THAT day and thought all the weight I lost had to do with that as well. I've only lost about 10lbs since my surgery and I feel that is because I went to regular food so quickly. The broth and Protein Drinks were literally making me vomit. So I tried applesauce and pudding, which seemed to go down ok. Then it was other soft food like macaroni and cheese chewed up real good. I can only eat a little bit, maybe a couple ounces. But I feel like it has hindered my weight loss for some reason? Even though I doubt I am even creeping up on 1000 calories a day.

I don't wanna overdo it myself, still learning though. I have had some pretty significant pain when I eat too much. Or drink too big a gulp. So slow and steady wins the race, right? Go slow, I know I can only walk/do something physical for so long before I need to take a break. I get tired easily and my incisions are still healing. I also am ready for some real foods, especially salad and grilled chicken!

I see my surgeon on Monday and I am afraid to tell him that I have already progressed to some solid foods. I feel like he is going to be mad. Ugh.

See I still track my food in an app and I’m only eating 400-500 calories a day and taking my Vitamins. For the sake of my healing stomach I wont do anything worse than soft, creamy foods. The rest just seems to be head hunger. Instead of a therapist I’m actually going to start seeing a nutrition counselor who helps other eating disorders, food addiction, etc. so I’m not so obsessive about food... hopefully.

At any rate, I will be curious what my doctor says. The most issue I have is that chest pressure if I eat too much or too fast. It’s weird and so uncomfortable. Supposedly it will go away as I heal. I never feel full but also never hungry. It’s that chest pressure that keeps me from having more. Not to mention I only measure out at most 2 oz. for my items. I’m more worried about what the hell i did with my healing muscles. I feel totally normal energy wise and it’s not the incision sites but the deep fascia,muscles or whatever that they cut through and now needs to heal that I’m concerned about. I at least don’t believe I did much more than strain myself too much. Sigh... need time to move faster so I can heal.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:57 AM, slsvacha said:

Hi All - new to the group.

I had my surgery 2/11 - am still in the "smooth foods" phase. I seem to have hit a stall on the weight loss after only about 15 total pounds. It feels kind of frustrating. I know that it is supposed to be normal to stall - but it feels kind of depressing! I have just started to walk more in the last week or so - before it was too tiring to walk more than about a block. Hopefully the weight loss kicks up again soon.

My surgery was 2/10, and this week I GAINED A POUND AND A HALF!!!! I am trying not to overreact; I have been weighing and/or measuring everything; I have met my Protein goals every day, my liquids have been between 48 and 60, I am walking every day, slowly trying to gain some stamina. I have bad arthritis in both knees, and I walk several times a day for 10 to 15 minutes, and get up every hour and walk a bit. I went back to work this week, which seemed to make it easier to fall into a rhythm. I track everything on My Fitness Pal, including my Vitamins. My calories have ranged from a low of 480 to a high of 632. I am on soft foods, and am eating things like 2 oz. of rotisserie chicken, 2 slices of deli turkey breast with 1 tbsp. of low fat cheddar cheese rolled up in the slices. I have to just keep the faith, but boy is this frustrating!!!!

21 hours ago, Vickywebster39@gmail.com said:

I'm the same I'm in a lot of pain I feel sick 24/7...I'm struggling to look forward all I do is cry and regret what I've done 😭

How far out are you from surgery? I hope you start to feel better!

On 03/07/2020 at 07:22, lisafrommassachusetts said:

My surgery was 2/10, and this week I GAINED A POUND AND A HALF!!!! I am trying not to overreact; I have been weighing and/or measuring everything; I have met my Protein goals every day, my liquids have been between 48 and 60, I am walking every day, slowly trying to gain some stamina. I have bad arthritis in both knees, and I walk several times a day for 10 to 15 minutes, and get up every hour and walk a bit. I went back to work this week, which seemed to make it easier to fall into a rhythm. I track everything on My Fitness Pal, including my Vitamins. My calories have ranged from a low of 480 to a high of 632. I am on soft foods, and am eating things like 2 oz. of rotisserie chicken, 2 slices of deli turkey breast with 1 tbsp. of low fat cheddar cheese rolled up in the slices. I have to just keep the faith, but boy is this frustrating!!!!

I can do relate to you. The weird weight gains and slow losses are frustrating. I’ve been using happy scale to track weight loss, so I can see a slow loss is happening. It’s just frustrating because I was losing faster on a higher calorie diet before the surgery than I am now. My nut has told me not to worry and that things will start happening soon. It’s hard to be patient, though. Especially when reading that the first 2-3 months after are when you experience the greatest weight loss. And at almost a month out, I haven’t lost a great deal at all.

@ResaRoo, it is nice to know I am not alone! All we can do is keep to the plan. I expected to be a "slow loser"; part pessimism, part my age, part my thyroid issues, part that I don't exercise robustly. But gaining seems just rude! :)