Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain with change of Blood pressure meds

Good morning. I am new to the forum. I have been reading quite a bit but have not found this issue.

I am on the six month diet required by my surgeon. I lost some weight then my lab work showed low levels of potassium and Iron. My doctor changed my blood pressure medication from a Triamterene/hyrochlorothiazide which I had been on for eight years to Amlodipine.

The scale has gone up dramatically. I am worried I will be penalized for this gain though my calories have remained at 1500-1800 a day.

Can someone give me some advice?

9 minutes ago, Baxette said:

I would check with your doctor, immediately. I was taking amlodipine for a while and noticed a slight bump in weight, I was told it was attributed to side affects of the medication, swelling of legs or ankles. I could never understand a medication to lower blood pressure with such adverse side effects, I had very disturbing periods of elevated heart rates and constant feelings of always being hot.

Good morning. I am new to the forum. I have been reading quite a bit but have not found this issue.

I am on the six month diet required by my surgeon. I lost some weight then my lab work showed low levels of potassium and Iron. My doctor changed my blood pressure medication from a Triamterene/hyrochlorothiazide which I had been on for eight years to Amlodipine.

The scale has gone up dramatically. I am worried I will be penalized for this gain though my calories have remained at 1500-1800 a day.

I agreed to always check with your doctor! however a hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic. So you were probably lower in weight due to your inability to retain Water. since you haven't already had the surgery, I would see if you can flush it for a few days with a ton of fluids. And see if the weight goes down. Water retention is a b***h.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thank you Vin for taking the time to reply. I don’t care for the amlodipine. I’m on 5 mg. But I feel sluggish and bloated. I will follow up with my doctor. Appreciate your insight.

Thank you BadWolfGirl! I definitely need to drink more water! Love your name! ❤️

2 hours ago, Baxette said:

Hey!
Since starting my journey, I was switched to mirtazapine for sleep & since my appetite has been crazy. When I first noticed I let my surgeon’s office know ASAP! She did let me know that she’s aware that appetite increases are extremely common in this med. I would definitely say start there!

Thank you! I will drink more Water and follow up with the doctor.