Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my surgery last Monday and I have regretted it since day one!

Someone please give me some hope..... I can barely get any fluids in my body I have these constant spasms that caused me not to be able to even drink anything I feel like I’m becoming dehydrated and even more sick.... today I tried apple sauce and it nearly killed me........I’m thinking about going back to the hospital to get IV fluids so that I am able to maintain but can someone please give me some insight on if this is how it normally is and how long does this phase last

Someone please give me some hope..... I can barely get any fluids in my body I have these constant spasms that caused me not to be able to even drink anything I feel like I’m becoming dehydrated and even more sick.... today I tried apple sauce and it nearly killed me........I’m thinking about going back to the hospital to get IV fluids so that I am able to maintain but can someone please give me some insight on if this is how it normally is and how long does this phase last
Oh no! I am so sorry you're feeling so bad. I would definitely call the surgeon and tell him how you're feeling, you probably definitely need fluids. And they can give you medication to manage spasms and nausea. I never had any complications so can't give you personal experience but I do think your surgeon will know best ! I hope you feel better soon!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I am 1 week post op. My dr recommended for week 1 after surgery to only take in Clear Liquids (a lot of bullion and broth). In between he recommends the “sip and wait” method for hydration. Literally, have a bottle of Gatorade (or something with electrolytes) mixed with Water at room temperature and take a sip (about a shot glass amount) and wait a couple of minutes, and do it again. Water will move through your sleeve easily, so every couple of minutes should be doable. Do not try to take big gulps of water. I would not progress into thicker liquids (applesauce, creamy Soups, shakes, etc) until I was hydrated (clear pee, if your pee is still dark, you are not hydrating). Also the bullion and chicken broth is water based and helps with hydration and a nutrition. If your are having spasms, I would back off the applesauce. My dr even said for the first week, don’t worry about Protein intake. Concentrate on letting your sleeve heal, stay hydrated (sip, wait, sip, wait). He even recommended real sugar products (jello and popsicles) for the first week simply because you will need the carbs for energy. I do not go back to sugar free food until week two. Also take your acid blocker (he prescribed Omeprazol 20mg) every 12 hrs. This helps with discomfort. If you don’t have one Gaviscon chewable are good. Do not lie down flat if you have drank anything within 1-2 hrs. I did this and made me nauseous. Finally, walk around and move around every couple of hours, but continue the sip wait sip for as much as you can. I have some post op videos I can send you that my dr made for me.

Edited by Clint Lipsey

I to am in the same boat. Had my surgery Feb 24 and I have been in hell since. Have you tried different Protein Drinks. The core milk is the only one I can barely tolerate. There's 42 good Protein in one bottle. I mainly can only eat sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello and room temp Water. Hope you get better soon!

28 minutes ago, Clint Lipsey said:

I have some post op videos I can send you that my dr made for me.

Great information Clint, thanks or sharing. I am still 6 weeks away from surgery, but I must admit I am beginning to get hints of cold feet again. I attended a local Bariatric support group meeting last Friday and someone in the group who recently had surgery is having similar issues with keeping their liquids down and another is experiencing a very nasty case of GURD. I would be very interested in seeing those videos your doctor gave you.

I would request the information packet on Endobariatric.com. My coordinator was Brandi Carter (brandi@endobariatric.com). You can use my name as a referral. Brandi sends out a very informative pdf about Dr Alvarez’s entire process. Plus, she has had the sleeve procedure as well, so her advice comes from experience. Do not be skeptical about Endobariatric with regard to them being located in Mexico. It’s a state of the art, first class hospital, with hospital and hotel all in the same building. My friend had his procedure done their and referred me to him. I would have never even considered going to Mexico to have surgery unless my friend hadn’t praised him so highly. Needless to say, I was not disappointed. Dr A patients come to him, in Mexico, from all over the world. (Texas, Arkansas, New Jersey, and Wisconsin Folks were in my group). I was sleeve procedure # 16,848. That’s how many sleeves Dr A has performed. He is one of only 11 surgeons in the world with a certification of Master Surgeon in Bariatrics. It’s all done laparoscopically and robotically. I have 5 small 2” incisions, that’s it. Also, no surprises on fees and money. I sent a $1,000 deposit to book my surgery, then I brought a cashiers check for $6995. Done. Everything included. Drs, anthesthesia, recovery, lodging, post op medications, etc. turnkey. The only thing we paid for meals for my wife and the concierge delivered it right to our room. We never had to lift a finger. A clinic in San Antonio quoted me $15-$20k cash pay when they learned my insurance would not cover bariatrics. When I asked why the $5k gap, they couldn’t give me a straight answer. Every single thing that Brandi tells you is 100% accurate. I would at least look at the packet and watch the videos she sends before I made a decision. My reason was strictly cost In the beginning, but the more I learned and researched all the different Bariatric procedures, the more I realized how transparent Dr A is, and knows what he is talking about.

3 hours ago, HLsleeve said:

I am so sorry this is happening. I know by day 3 I was regretting it because of the terrible nausea and spasms and low grade fever. I was almost going back to the ER, but it had snowed and I couldn't get down. Eventually the nausea subsided and I could sleep, which had eluded me for days. It DOES get better, I promise. Some people, unfortunately, are going to suffer more than others. But I don't think it's a mistake at all. Definitely call your surgeon or go back if you cannot get anything down.

As others suggested, clear liquids are best. Try to avoid sugar and anything with a lot of fat at all costs. I've been drinking Bone Broth, zero Gatorade, and then Glucerna in between. As tolerated. But only you know what your body can handle. Don't push it. I wish you the best of luck!

Yes, my first few days I would simply dip my tongue into the medicine cup of Water, I was miserable. Just keep trying as best you can, it gets better. Take it slow, stick with just water and Protein Shakes at this point and when you can tolerate that then add in purée. If you have a blender or food processor it’s easier to tolerate with no lumps at all.

You should be on full liquids this week and not applesauce yet. If you think you're dehydrated call your surgeon and get advice but don't push foods that aren't on your list yet, it will make you miserable. try other temps of liquids, warm, hot, room temp, maybe it will help.