Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do protein shakes put on weight?

Hi guys, new to this place, I just finished my surgery, Its been 8 days since surgery, I was 117.8kg (259lbs) before surgery and after 7 days I lost about 8.8kg (19lbs) but yesterday and today I started taking Protein Shake as the doctor advised me to do so and I am also adding thick liquids to my diet as I was told my dietitian and my doc, but since I started taking Protein Shakes, my weight loss has slowed down, like I was 109kg (240lbs) before starting protien shakes, and after it's been fluctuating for 2 days, today morning it was 108.5kg (239lbs) and after taking the shake in the morning and then checked my weight in the evening it was 109.2kg (240.7lbs), should I stop taking my Protein shake? Is weight fluctuations normal? How much weight did you guys lose in the first week of your surgery? Thanks for any help. 😁

Some can make sure you have the low calorie version - However you need them so get you calorie and meal plan in order - You weight is going to bounce all over the place for the first month while you body heals. Once on the proper plan it gets easy. You can not stop taking them you need the protien to heal!

Do not panic this is a journey and you are only 8 days out. Trust me this gets easier and balanced as you go thru the journey. Ask away there are a ton of us who have been in your shoes

Weight tends to fluctuate throughout the day & from day to day.

*Try* only weighing once a day at the same time & under the same conditions. Plus try to watch for weekly instead of daily changes.

Please continue on the treatment plan your Team prescribed. It's far more important to be healthy for the long run.

Check out why you need protein:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002467.htm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.self.com/story/what-protein-does-in-your-body/amp

2 hours ago, DivyanChris said:

Hi guys, new to this place, I just finished my surgery, Its been 8 days since surgery, I was 117.8kg (259lbs) before surgery and after 7 days I lost about 8.8kg (19lbs) but yesterday and today I started taking Protein Shake as the doctor advised me to do so and I am also adding thick liquids to my diet as I was told my dietitian and my doc, but since I started taking Protein Shakes, my weight loss has slowed down, like I was 109kg (240lbs) before starting protien shakes, and after it's been fluctuating for 2 days, today morning it was 108.5kg (239lbs) and after taking the shake in the morning and then checked my weight in the evening it was 109.2kg (240.7lbs), should I stop taking my Protein shake? Is weight fluctuations normal? How much weight did you guys lose in the first week of your surgery? Thanks for any help. 😁

It sounds like you're on the right track. As said before, your weight will be all over the place, especially during the first month. Lots of people weigh themselves weekly but I weigh daily; however, keep in mind that it's not always going to go down every single day. Hang in there and the weight will fall off.

Thanks a bunch guys, I think I'll stick to my Protein Shakes for now. But man I feel so good after surgery, I feel like I could climb a mountain, I feel like a massive burden is off my chest, well stomach but yeah.

30 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Weight tends to fluctuate throughout the day & from day to day.

*Try* only weighing once a day at the same time & under the same conditions. Plus try to watch for weekly instead of daily changes.

Please continue on the treatment plan your Team prescribed. It's far more important to be healthy for the long run.

Check out why you need protein:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002467.htm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.self.com/story/what-protein-does-in-your-body/amp

55 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

Some can make sure you have the low calorie version - However you need them so get you calorie and meal plan in order - You weight is going to bounce all over the place for the first month while you body heals. Once on the proper plan it gets easy. You can not stop taking them you need the protien to heal!

Do not panic this is a journey and you are only 8 days out. Trust me this gets easier and balanced as you go thru the journey. Ask away there are a ton of us who have been in your shoes

2 minutes ago, GotItDoneInHarlem said:

It sounds like you're on the right track. As said before, your weight will be all over the place, especially during the first month. Lots of people weigh themselves weekly but I weigh daily; however, keep in mind that it's not always going to go down every single day. Hang in there and the weight will fall off.

Yeah exactly, that's what I've been told, thanks for the advice.

2 minutes ago, DivyanChris said:

Thanks a bunch guys, I think I'll stick to my Protein Shakes for now. But man I feel so good after surgery, I feel like I could climb a mountain, I feel like a massive burden is off my chest, well stomach but yeah.

👏 Take a ton of photos at the Summit 👏

Edited by GreenTealael

people almost always weigh more later in the day than they do first thing in the morning because they've been drinking and eating, and food and fluids weigh something. So if you're weighing later in the day, the scale is reflecting not only your weight, but the weight of whatever you ate and drank that day, too. Just pick one time of day to weigh yourself and stick to that. I do it first thing in the morning before I eat Breakfast, but any time as fine as long as that's your "weigh time" and you're consistent.

also, no, you won't gain weight on Protein Shakes as long as your overall calories are low, which at this point I am guessing they are. Weight loss does slow down after the initial big drop - that is totally normal.

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

people almost always weigh more later in the day than they do first thing in the morning because they've been drinking and eating, and food and fluids weigh something. So if you're weighing later in the day, the scale is reflecting not only your weight, but the weight of whatever you ate and drank that day, too. Just pick one time of day to weigh yourself and stick to that. I do it first thing in the morning before I eat Breakfast, but any time as fine as long as that's your "weigh time" and you're consistent.

also, no, you won't gain weight on Protein Shakes as long as your overall calories are low, which at this point I am guessing they are. Weight loss does slow down after the initial big drop - that is totally normal.

Yeah you said it, I usually weigh myself every morning like you before breakfast, but for a couple of days I got too anxious and just weighed myself twice, but yeah I think the battle is also psychological so it's good to fight these demons lol. Yes I don't plan on stopping Protein Shakes anymore thanks to you guys. 😁