Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys, so im doing pretty well after surgery. Im one month post op. Doctor let me eat solid food at 2 weeks out. All is cool i tolerate EVERYTHING. I don’t feel i had surgery ( of course small quantities remind me)

So my birthday is up this weekend. What do u think about one tiny white wine glass?

Reminder im one month post op. Thx for the help

I drank a month out - But be careful the wine has sugar and that may get you! Sipping a little wine is not going to kill you

we were advised by my clinic not to drink any alcohol until we were at least a year out.

On 02/28/2020 at 15:53, AJ Tylo said:

I drank a month out - But be careful the wine has sugar and that may get you! Sipping a little wine is not going to kill you

Did it bother you? I just wanna have half a glass. I know most docs advise against it. But i have been healing so nicely so smoothly even started gym and everything. so am thinking maybe it might be ok?

I drink vodka protien Water so it was fine, My doctor appears to be more layed back and said a little drink will be ok alot of drinks and you will screw yourself up.

Take a Sip let it settle see how it feels

13 minutes ago, Girlwithadream said:

Hi guys, so im doing pretty well after surgery. Im one month post op. Doctor let me eat solid food at 2 weeks out. All is cool i tolerate EVERYTHING. I don’t feel i had surgery ( of course small quantities remind me)

So my birthday is up this weekend. What do u think about one tiny white wine glass?

Reminder im one month post op. Thx for the help

Ask your team about there alcohol policy/timeline ❤

I was told one year out too. Your stomache is so much smaller that even a sip could effect you like several glasses would. You are also still healing.

I would ask the medical professionals advise from the team that you are working with.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:01 AM, GreenTealael said:

Ask your team about there alcohol policy/timeline ❤

This is the right answer ....

On 2/28/2020 at 6:59 AM, MsMocie said:

you'll never find a sugeron that will approve that one month out.

That's a big assumption. You think surgeons is France, Italy, Spain all view wine consumption the way you and your surgeon does?

On 2/28/2020 at 8:26 AM, Kimberly3 said:

even a sip could effect you like several glasses would.

A sip could effect you like several glasses? That is impossible/improbable

On 2/28/2020 at 9:13 AM, MsMocie said:

You can also cause permanent damage to your liver and you can have toxic reactions - at the same time you get drunk from one sip and I really, really think you should be more responsible. You absolutley need to wait a lest a couple of more months, pls!

I get that you personally disapprove very strongly, but why resort to scare tactics?

"permanent damage to your liver" "toxic reactions" "you get drunk from one sip" from "one tiny glass of white wine"??

I enjoy craft and specialty beers, when I user to live close to a WOB location it was a weekly visit. Unfortunately, where I live now there is no local WOB but the question about drinking beer & alcohol drinks was one of my top 5 questions and I was not very happy with the answer.

All thee surgeons I spoke to over the course of about a year (Since May 2019) said the same thing: NO Alcohol drinks, including beer during the first year post-op. ☹️

Strangely, my surgeon's written rule for alcohol was wait one year, especially after his only fatality was a patient who binge-drank and died of alcohol poisoning.

But when I went for my six month checkup, my surgeon had said "If you want to have an occasional glass of wine, it's okay." Nonetheless, I haven't touched alcohol. For me, it would be a slippery slope.

It was my doctor that told me that the stomach does not digest alcohol the same way as before surgery. He was the one that told me that your metabolism does not process acohol effectively and yes a sip would affect differently post surgery I don't think anyone is on here to scare anyone. We are just sharing information told to us by our medical professionals.

Tread lightly, and google "weight loss surgery alcoholism" as there are many studies that say 1 in 5 WLS patients end up with alcohol problems.

I knew this personally before I ever started the process, b/c I have a friend who had WLS 10 years ago, and then spent the next 9 years in and out of inpatient care for alcoholism. She lost custody of her children in the process as well. She is currently sober for 6 months or so, but still living in a group home. I don't know if she belongs to some kind of support group for WLS/alcoholism, but sometimes she will post something on FB about it, and will get tons of replies from other women who indicate they had the same problems with alcoholism following WLS.

I confess that I stalked her FB thoroughly as I was making the decision to have WLS myself. I decided that if I was going to have WLS, I was going to abstain from alcohol for life.

I was never a big drinker (maybe 10 times a year at social events, weddings, etc), so for me to make the commitment to never drink again isn't a big deal. I do understand that would be more difficult for someone who is used to relaxing with a glass of wine every night.

I would never suggest that everyone who has WLS needs to abstain from alcohol for life, but would just ask everyone to be careful. If after drinking you feel the slightest bit out of control, start craving alcohol, etc, please seek help before it's too late. Sorry to ramble, but seeing what this friend has gone through is truly heartbreaking, and I thought about her a lot as I decided whether or not to have the surgery.

Edited by ChubRub

Since the topic of WLS, alcohol, and France was brought up, I looked through about ten French articles about the subject. In France, TEN TIMES more people (per capita) undergo WLS than in the U.S., most likely due to the fact that WLS is covered by their Securite Sociale.

Only one article mentioned when patients could resume drinking alcohol. It mentioned between three and six months.

But the French articles about weight loss surgery were much more precautious about the effects of alcohol post-surgery. Every single one warned that alcohol was much differently and more quickly absorbed after WLS. Here's one example:

l’alcoolémie augmente plus vite, plus haut et descend moins vite après l’ingestion de la boisson.

Du fait de la dérivation intestinale et de la petite poche gastrique, l’absorption de l’alcool après by-pass est beaucoup plus rapide :

avec un verre de vin le seuil légal d’alcoolémie (0,5 g/L) est atteint au bout de quelques minutes (alors que ce n’était pas le cas avant la chirurgie).

Translation:

The blood alcohol level rises faster, higher and goes down more slowly after ingestion of the drink.

Due to the intestinal bypass and the small gastric pouch, the absorption of alcohol after bypass is much more fast :

with a glass of wine the legal blood alcohol threshold (0.5 g / L) is reached after a few minutes (whereas this was not the case before surgery).

Edited by Prestonandme