Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where did you have surgery?

I would love to hear where everyone had their surgery. I have been looking into Mexico vs US. Any suggestions?

Lexington South Carolina. For a year I have had to see my doctor every two months after surgery for followups and labs after 6 months. If you go to Mexico I'm not sure how that will work out for you. Many have done it, but I'd be concerned about aftercare.

1 minute ago, Sandra Nuelken said:

Lexington South Carolina. For a year I have had to see my doctor every two months after surgery for followups and labs after 6 months. If you go to Mexico I'm not sure how that will work out for you. Many have done it, but I'd be concerned about aftercare.

I have had many friends and family go to Mexico and they have raved about the great care they received and their primary was able to take over after-care.

20 minutes ago, sekesterson21 said:

I have had many friends and family go to Mexico and they have raved about the great care they received and their primary was able to take over after-care.

I'd just check with your PCP in advance to make he/she is willing to take over the after-care. If so, and if you spend some time researching the surgeons down there to make sure you've got a good one, you should be fine.

I had my surgery in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico because my insurance wouldn't cover it in the US. My BMI was 37 with zero health conditions (thank God). My PCP did not support weight loss surgery for me, so I didn't tell her when I decided to have the surgery. I know that might sound reckless, but believe me I did a lot of research. The after-care was my biggest concern, but I decided if my PCP wouldn't handle the after-care, I would change doctors and I had one selected recommended by a friend who had surgery in Mexico . I got home from Mexico on a Thursday and I had an appointment with my PCP on Monday and I broke the news to her about the surgery. Thankfully, she was willing to handle the after-care, no problem. My surgeon in Mexico sent me home with surgery notes for my PCP and a link to a video of my surgery. My experience with surgery in Puerto Vallarta was excellent. The hospital was new and modern and the care was outstanding. It's been a month now and I've had zero problems, no nausea, no acid reflux, and very little pain right after surgery, really more like discomfort when I stood up or sat down. It's a big decision, so I would suggest you do a lot of research and don't pick solely on price. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

I had mine in Las Vegas (sleeve) at Blossom Bariatric. Excellent experience; I qualified for their fast track program - from arrival through surgery in 5 days. Advertised cost $6799, mine was a little less than that because of a promotion they were running. Includes hotel, transportation once you get there, surgery, etc. Really good experience.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

My insurance company required I use a "center of excellence" so that pretty much forced me to use the hospital/doctor that I did. Turned out pretty well though.

Columbus, Ohio...insurance paid nearly 100%.