Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I have learned over 1 1/2 years.

Hello everyone.

This is just a few thoughts I have almost 1 1/2 years post op.

This was the best decision I could of made for myself. Granted I am still not at my goal weight. However I have not gained any back and I know if I want to get to my goal I will need to put a little more effort into it again. Which mostly is just getting back to the basics of what we are told to do right from the beginning, Eat healthy, and get your butt moving. lol

I know several others who have had this surgery some are a complete success others have failed and are gaining weight rapidly back. Some have taken their tool/ gift and have used it wonderfully and are healthy and happy and continue to follow the rules they were given and agreed to follow. Their hard work shows how much they appreciate what they have been given.

Others I know have snubbed the rules, they drink soda, eat chocolate by the bag, I watched one friend sit and eat an entire bag of Cheetos then say "I don't know why I'm gaining weight". She was not happy when I said " because you just ate entire bag of Cheetos and washed it down with a soda"

This surgery is a tool we have been fortunate enough to have. Just like any tool if you abuse it or use it other then what it is designed for. Its not going to work!!

So this week I started counting my calories again. I learned early my calorie threshold for consistent healthy weight lose was 900 calories per day. Most people are higher but unfortunately mine is not. And really if you think about it 900 is easy, especially because my pouch is small. I have not stretched it out. And I have lost 3lbs this week, so GOAL WEIGHT I'm coming for you!!!!

53 minutes ago, FaithandHope said:

So this week I started counting my calories again. I learned early my calorie threshold for consistent healthy weight lose was 900 calories per day. Most people are higher but unfortunately mine is not. And really if you think about it 900 is easy, especially because my pouch is small. I have not stretched it out. And I have lost 3lbs this week, so GOAL WEIGHT I'm coming for you!!!!

Great Post and i agree 900 calories is plenty - Hope you hit the goal and I totally agree this was he best decision i have ever made also! Hit the goal and have a bag of Cheetos

Hello everyone.
I learned early my calorie threshold for consistent healthy weight lose was 900 calories per day. Most people are higher but unfortunately mine is not. And really if you think about it 900 is easy, especially because my pouch is small. I have not stretched it out. And I have lost 3lbs this week, so GOAL WEIGHT I'm coming for you!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I have a health app on my phone. It has every food possible and amount. 1/2 cup, 1 cup etc. I punch in everything that goes into my mouth on this app. It keeps a running daily total. My doctor told me to start keeping track of my calorie intake. So I did he told me to start at 1300 calories so I did 1300 for a week didn't lose. So I went down to 1200 for a week. I kept going each week until 900 calories. 900 seemed to be my sweet spot.

I have a health app on my phone. It has every food possible and amount. 1/2 cup, 1 cup etc. I punch in everything that goes into my mouth on this app. It keeps a running daily total. My doctor told me to start keeping track of my calorie intake. So I did he told me to start at 1300 calories so I did 1300 for a week didn't lose. So I went down to 1200 for a week. I kept going each week until 900 calories. 900 seemed to be my sweet spot.
Wow that is a great idea. How long after your surgery did you start? Im guessing I can wait until the first year is done and the honeymoon phase is over?

Great post! Thanks!

Congrats on getting back on track!

3 hours ago, FaithandHope said:

Yep...it def differs.

Flip side 800-900 wasn't working for me after a while (about like 4-5 months)...I had to actually up my calories to 1000-1200 to see more consistent weight-loss. The further out I got I needed a bit more calories to actually lose. It could change again...i'm only about 7.5-ish months out.

Edited by TheJuice202

Surgery is monday, so I'm asking this pre-sleeve.... does 900 calories fill you up? Or do you still feel hungry at then end of the day? Just curious what lies ahead. Thank you!

On 2/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, Katheryn0303 said:

Surgery is monday, so I'm asking this pre-sleeve.... does 900 calories fill you up? Or do you still feel hungry at then end of the day? Just curious what lies ahead. Thank you!

I try to get most of my 900 in lean protien. Prior to surgery There was no way I could of felt full and content. Now it is no problem. With a Small pouch o am very contented with 900

On 2/27/2020 at 2:12 PM, Slimmy-mommeee said:

Wow that is a great idea. How long after your surgery did you start? Im guessing I can wait until the first year is done and the honeymoon phase is over?

At about 8 months in the weight loss seemed to go on hold. So that is when he suggested I count calories and it worked for me.

On 2/27/2020 at 1:20 PM, MsMocie said:

What app?

You should btw see some of Dr Weiners videos, were he explains why one does not lose weight, or how to move your weight set point, and what you should be basing your diet on.

I have a Samsung phone. The app came on the phone. My son who has an Apple downloaded a free app that does the same thing.

17 hours ago, FaithandHope said:

I have a Samsung phone. The app came on the phone. My son who has an Apple downloaded a free app that does the same thing.

Hi there - I am pre surgery - March 9.

Thank you for the tips!

I have a Samsung phone too. What is the name of the app please?

I use the Lose IT APP and it has worked for me. 946 days and counting. I am one year from gallbladder removal and a severe sepsis infection and almost 2 years from biliopancreatic bypass. I weighted 161 lbs when I was discharged from my gallbladder surgery and that is my weight today. Keep tracking all that you eat and be aware of everything that gets put in your body. Good luck to all!

Edited by ScoutCR

On 3/1/2020 at 5:49 AM, Wendy128 said:

Hi there - I am pre surgery - March 9.

Thank you for the tips!

I have a Samsung phone too. What is the name of the app please?

Samsung Health