Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious how much time everyone was out of work and truly unable to work after surgery? I know everyone is different just curious what people have experienced. Surgery is in 6 days! Eek. Planning on taking 2 weeks off and then easing back into it.

I do work that can be done at a desk and I started working from home after a week and went back to the office after two weeks. I was pretty weak and light-headed for the first month.

I work at a desk in an office and took 4 weeks off. I wasn't sure how tired and weak I would be. Could probably have gone back after 3 weeks. Was still napping daily at that point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had a desk job (am now retired). I took three weeks off but could have gone back after two. I felt fine in general, but the tiredness lasted a month or so.

Everyone is different. I was fine in a few days. I was working again three days after surgery but work from home. If I worked an office job,I'd have taken the week but I'm stubborn lol. Energy is definitely the biggest issue. Get your fluids and your Protein and walk your face off (short multiple walks).it helps a lot. I'm four weeks out now and back to jogging, traveling, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I work in an office, very sedentary work.

I had surgery on a Tuesday and returned to work by the following Monday (6 days).

I'd say that if you have a relatively sedentary job, you could probably return relatively quickly. However, just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. I know that I had pretty bad fatigue for at least 3 weeks after surgery. In my 1st week back, I fell asleep at lunch one day. And for several weeks, I crashed every Thursday and fell asleep in the chair right after dinner. If I had to do it again, I probably would have taken a 2nd week off.

I took off 2 weeks and found that it was the perfect amount of time for me. Still struggle with energy in the afternoons, but it's manageable.

I'm taking off 3 weeks. I have a desk job, but I do have to travel 5 and 6 weeks afterward. So I have to see about that.

I'm taking off 3 weeks. I have a desk job, but I do have to travel 5 and 6 weeks afterward. So I have to see about that.

I think you'll be fine. As long as you rest and get your fluids and Protein and walking, by the time you have to travel you should be good. I've been traveling since 3 weeks and had no issues. I just pack a lot of my own food: Peanut Butter packs, cheese sticks, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mello1 said:

I travel for work and I started 3 weeks post op. I was somewhat run down, but entirely manageable, IME.

As most have said, it is very individual. It's very dependent on the flexibility of your job. I'm home based, and have a lot of autonomy. I technically took 0 time off because except for the time I was under anesthesia I was capable of answering emails and phone calls.

I work from home and have a sedentary desk job. I had surgery on a Thursday released fro hospital on Saturday and took the next week off. Back to work on Monday so about ten days off for me. Was tired, but it was manageable.

I took 3 weeks off, but I think 4 weeks would have been better simply because of the low energy level I felt that first week back at work. My job is sometimes sedentary, but others days I hit the ground running and sit very little.

My job is relatively sedentary and I have the option to work from home. I was thinking of taking a week to a week and a half off, and then working from home for another 2 weeks or so. My plan is to start working from home as soon as 8 am able, even if it is only half days. I have no back up, other than my supervisor and my work can't sit while I am out. He is happy with thos compromise and I know won't push me to come back before I am ready. But he also knows I love my job and will be back as soon as I can.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk