Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band fitted and filled, but my stomach holds as much as before!

Hi everyone

I wonder if I can ask your opinions about something? I had a lap band fitted a few months ago. I carefully considered all the options, and decided I didn’t want surgery to remove part of my stomach, and would go with the band. I’ve had around four fills, and am now up to 5.5 mls. But while I am definitely able to swallow only much smaller mouthfuls of food than I did before (especially things like meat), I find that the actual amount of food my stomach can hold is not much different than before I was banded. Is this normal…? When I originally had the operation the bariatric nurse told me that I would only be able to eat around a side plate’s worth of food at any one time. But I can definitely fit much more in my stomach than that (once it has made its way down through the much narrower opening at the top). And I don’t mean just things like semi-solids, but foods like bread and Pasta too. What gives? I haven’t really lost any weight at all. I thought I was supposed to feel full up after only a few mouthfuls? Should I get my band tightened? But if I do that, I’ll then have major trouble eating solid food like meat etc. I’m just getting more and more disillusioned by the whole thing. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Catherine

Edited by ChinchillaMum
To make clearer

Sorry you're struggling. I'm a bypass so can't speak to the band part. But the only thing I do know is the doc is the only one who can answer if your tool is intact.He would have to do imaging and tests to know for sure.

But the thing that jumps out at me is that you are trying to use this tool for weight loss, but you are eating bread and Pasta? During weight loss mode (WLM), I was very strict with Protein first and veggies and hardly no fruit. And only a tiny bit of healthy fats.

Did you receive any nutrition counseling? I'd ask for a referral to a nutritionist and also a bariatric counselor as well. It's important to work on the head as much as on the diet and exercise.

Thanks for your reply, FluffyChix. I think my main issue is that I was hoping the lap band would be a sort of helpful "tool" for me, to assist with the weight loss. If it had been able to give me a little helping hand I would have been more than up for changing my habits. But it doesn't seem to help AT ALL. You are absolutely right that I need to contact my dr, and that is what I am going to do today. Thanks again.

I hope you get answers and assistance. I dont think it is fair to imply you are not invested bc you still plan to eat carbs. I havent had surgery yet but I do know plenty of banded, sleeved and bypassed folks who eat carbs in moderation.

Thanks, Likklelime. That's exactly what I had hoped would happen: that I would only be able to eat carbs in moderation. But I'm very surprised (and disappointed) by the amount I can still put away. I thought the band was meant to help by restricting, not leave everything as it was before.

4 hours ago, ChinchillaMum said:

Thanks, Likklelime. That's exactly what I had hoped would happen: that I would only be able to eat carbs in moderation. But I'm very surprised (and disappointed) by the amount I can still put away. I thought the band was meant to help by restricting, not leave everything as it was before.

Did they tell you the amount of your fill? I wonder if they are trying to be gradual about your restriction and that you just need more fill?

Be patient and continue with fills if you think you need them. You are still pretty early in the game. Are you starting with solid Protein and then eating your veggies and last is the carb? Go slow and really listen to when you are satisfied and not full.

This is exactly how I feel now aswell, so I scheduled an appointment with my Dr. who did my surgery and hope she can give me answers, it's certain foods I feel like I can indulge in if I want to and some that feel like it gets stuck or something so hoping around the 1st of June to see her and get answers and I will update you. I also am newbie had lapband in Feb2020 so I will let you know. Hope you find some answers. Good Luck and continue to eat in moderation I would say, I just purchased a month supply of Protein Shakes I take 1 for Breakfast everyday. I just started it again so fingers crossed. And excersice is a plus, so Ive been walking/hiking with my kids and husband. Keep it going, watch weightloss videos idk it helps to motivate me.

Hi Chinchillamum! So update I infact went in to see my Dr. and I requested a 1cc and she did but it was def too tight. so she took out 1/2cc. And I was fine, so the information she has given me was straightforward and I needed that. So basically if you are eating your favorite foods, Snacks such as cakes, icecream, caloric juices, candies, chips, pastas, breads your defeating the purpose from your goal from the beginning and she said you want to just avoid that. Thats not going to get you anywhere, and you will gain weight which I did. So she told me to focus on eating nutritional meals. Roasted chicken and veggies. Fish and veggies/fruits. Take your time eating like literaly. Chew your food for about 30 sec and wait about 2-3 mins till your second bite. She said our minds are new to this and it's still adjusting. And when you have old habit foods in your home all your doing is tempting yourself, your still vulnerable to these foods so what I have been doing was learning and listening to my body. Timing each meal. (35-40 mins to finish), drinking a Protein Shake in the morning, lunch I would eat a tuna pouch packet if still hungry with fruit like banana or a strawberry. And dinner Soups or sometimes a salad that I thouroughly take my time on. Also started being more active. I go walking as much as I can. But this has helped me out alot and today 6/5/2020 I weighed myself and I lost 8lbs since monday the 1st and I am happy. This def leaves me with more restriction. And also I had to get rid of anything that would temp me to eat sweets, and snacks. Omg. you dont know how much that has changed. I have no bread in my home, no snacks only popcorn. And just adjust as you go but I would talk to my dr. if you really need a fill or could it just be more of an adjustment stage. Do you snack alot? Eat sweets/ candies?