Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do ALL DS'rs have problem with smelly poop?

Reading this forum, i get the feeling that ALL people that went through a DS get this issue and they all mention it as a major discomfort. Is it? All?

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

This is a universal problem because honestly everyone's **** stinks 😳

Not mine! Mine smells like lavender and lemongrass poo! :D

image.png.ac7e7f12420fd4d0594d348c8c08007e.png

Edited by FluffyChix

Mine too, that's why I am trying to keep it this way :)

someone wrote here that his sex life got hurt due to uncontrolled farting. Another person wrote that going to the restroom 4-5 a day and leaving really bad odor is a problem. So im asking if this is something beyond regular poop smell.

Well, I'm an RNY, but my post surgery poop smell is for real worse. But I use Poo Pourri and I don't fart in public or private with Mr. F. so sex life isn't an issue. I also seem to be able to not fart when I don't think it's appropriate. Dunno about others.

I would not let that stop me from having surgery. There will ALWAYS be a reason to rationalize not changing your unhealthy relationship (whatever it is) and staying mired in sickness.

Poo-pourri has worked wonders but for me the oil slicks that sometimes appear are a real annoyance more when i'm out than at home when I can clean up after myself. My gas is something my wife and I are both getting used to. I seemed to have trained my body to not have to fart while at work - but I feel bad for those I crop dust on the streets of NYC as soon as I leave the office. Night time is really when all hell breaks loose. The oil slick doesn't happen nearly as often but it's obviously totally dependent on what I eat, but the gas is always bad.

I had bypass 11 months ago and was worried about this presurgery. All I can say is that for me post bypass poop doesn't smell any worse than pre bypass. Maybe in the beginning it did, but at almost a year out it is just a normal stink!![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have the same issue. On my surgeons suggestion, I've been using Devrom (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045WG1P2) to help with the smell. I believe it has lessened the foul odor, but it doesn't get rid of it. Still my farts will make the dogs run under the covers and cover their noses, but its not as bad without the meds.

I take two chewable pills twice a day. It's just included in my pill case.

If you try it out, I'd be interested if it helps for you.

Wow! smh...Everything smells much worse, yes, but I only go 1x a day as I did before surgery. As far as gas goes I can hold it in or let it go, but the smell, how often I pass gas, and how bad it is completely depends on what I eat. For instance all beware if I have eaten sunflower seeds. You will get to know your body and what makes you Toot or not. Reading each post though I suppose that this type of surgery is truly different for everyone.

1 hour ago, JennC92 said:

Had my surgery on Feb 13th 2020. And ever since surgery my poo and farts are 10x more stinky. And I fart 10x as much as I used to. And my poo looks like a really light colored clay. Lol 🤭

I had my surgery (not DS - revision to long-limbed RNY) on March 3rd 2020 and in the past couple of weeks I've noticed the same. The smell is so bad it lingers for a long time and every time I go past the bathroom I think I just stock up on some air fresheners, even though I live alone. A lot of clay coloured stools, but sometimes there are darker ones too (sometimes at the same sitting). Thankful I can work from home for the next few months and I can figure out which foods are more problematic than others.

I’m not exactly sure if it makes a difference, but I had loop ds/ Sadi/ sips. I’m 9 months out and I almost never have that problem. Maybe once a month. Not even. And every time I had that, it was because I ate something ‘bad’ for us ds’ers... and ya I do fart a lot, and being a senior in HS, sitting in a classroom for 7/8 hrs a day.... it’s hell I tell u... but all in all, I’m doing amazing. Feeling physically so much better than I ever have, since I’ve been obese all my live. I’ve got 3 lbs to go to no longer be considered ‘obese’ something I haven’t experienced since I’m 5. The surgery is the best thing I’ve ever done.