Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Initial Consult Update

Well I got my initial consultation with the surgeon set up but it isn't until April 2nd!!!! Has anyone else had to wait that long?

In addition, my insurance requires

• 6 weight check visits with my primary doc
  • 1 nutritional consultation
  • Psychological evaluation

At least my primary doc knows the process and said my visit on 2/19 will count as the 1st weigh in. Based on what I have seen, this is pretty standard. My letter from the surgeon (and my calculations) put the surgery cost at $520, so I guess I can't complain about the length of time. So it is looking like I will have surgery sometime in August or September. Just in time to not be able to enjoy my husband's favorite holiday, Thanksgiving.

I had to wait 6 weeks from my final weigh in and insurance approval to my surgery work-up this Thursday. The wait was hard when all I wanted to do was GO GO GO! Yet, I've tried to use the time to continue progressing on my weight loss and exercise habits. It's still hard. Coming on here and watching everyone's successes and challenges has been very helpful too. Come out and talk to folks on the forums when the waiting seems to be just dragging on.

I would just make sure you see your doc in March for it to count for 2/6 check ins. Or if the surgeon can see you at the end of March. I believe if you skip a month it restarts. All insurances are different but just to play it safe try to get seen in March.

4 minutes ago, Jay19 said:

I would just make sure you see your doc in March for it to count for 2/6 check ins. Or if the surgeon can see you at the end of March. I believe if you skip a month it restarts. All insurances are different but just to play it safe try to get seen in March.

I see my primary in March for my 2nd weigh in. That is an easy appointment to get so I won't miss any with my Primary. Plus she is giving me my Migraine shot each month, so the weigh in visit kills 2 birds with one stone.

My insurance is Aetna.

Make sure you know if you need to lose weight or just maintain. I didn't have to lose weight, just needed to not gain any. My surgeon wanted me to lose 77 lbs so surgery would be easier on me, so I did lose weight during my visits.

Edited by Uomograsso

6 hours ago, GrungeGrownUp said:

Well I got my initial consultation with the surgeon set up but it isn't until April 2nd!!!! Has anyone else had to wait that long?

In addition, my insurance requires

• 6 weight check visits with my primary doc
  • 1 nutritional consultation
  • Psychological evaluation

At least my primary doc knows the process and said my visit on 2/19 will count as the 1st weigh in. Based on what I have seen, this is pretty standard. My letter from the surgeon (and my calculations) put the surgery cost at $520, so I guess I can't complain about the length of time. So it is looking like I will have surgery sometime in August or September. Just in time to not be able to enjoy my husband's favorite holiday, Thanksgiving.

Hi. That protocol is similar to mine, except that I met with the surgeon on my first visit (haven't seen him since though). I had 3 weight check ins which amounts to the 90 day minimum required for my insurance. It sounds like your insurance requires 6 months.

In addition to the nutritional consultation and psych eval, I had to have an endoscopy, EKG, and blood work. My regular physician had me do an echo, bone density, colonoscopy, and sleep study earlier last year (part of her baselining me - over 60). I also had a kidney work up, so I'm done. That's what happens when your primary doctor is a teaching physician...

15 hours ago, Mello1 said:

That protocol is similar to mine, except that I met with the surgeon on my first visit (haven't seen him since though). I had 3 weight check ins which amounts to the 90 day minimum required for my insurance. It sounds like your insurance requires 6 months.

In addition to the nutritional consultation and psych eval, I had to have an endoscopy, EKG, and blood work. My regular physician had me do an echo, bone density, colonoscopy, and sleep study earlier last year (part of her baselining me - over 60). I also had a kidney work up, so I'm done. That's what happens when your primary doctor is a teaching physician...

My weigh in are at my primary doc which is in a different practice that the surgeon. My primary did mention that based on my labs, additional things might be required, but since I am fairly healthy, she didn't think so. I am trying to get my initial consult with the surgeon moved up as April is so far away.

Yeah, that's a bit different that you are going thru your primary doctor for your weigh-ins -- I guess it depends upon your insurance plan. My primary referred me to the surgeon's office for a colonoscopy and endoscopy and then his office followed up with me and asked me if I was interested in having the surgery.

I got my initial consultation for April 2nd also. I asked to be put on a waiting list for a cancellation and it worked. I got called this morning and will see the surgeon in 2 days. If you haven’t yet call them and ask to be put on that list. Good luck

I got my initial consultation for April 2nd also. I asked to be put on a waiting list for a cancellation and it worked. I got called this morning and will see the surgeon in 2 days. If you haven’t yet call them and ask to be put on that list. Good luck
Good for you. I did ask to be called if there were any cancellations, so we will see.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

So my insurance didn't require any of the weigh-ins. I just had one appt with the surgeon, nutritionist and the psych evaluation all in the same day. They submitted it to my insurance and they approved it in a few days. I was scheduled for surgery 3 weeks later. It went so fast I didn't have time to wuss out 😂 It is strange how so many insurance companies have such different views on the subject. Especially when it eliminates so many medications by having the weight loss surgery. It's in their benefit I would think.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:12 PM, Mello1 said:

Yeah, that's a bit different that you are going thru your primary doctor for your weigh-ins -- I guess it depends upon your insurance plan.

@mello1 It may be because Insurance is covering mine. Several other people I know that have had weight loss surgery have done it the same way I am. As long as the insurance company is paying and I have to pay very very little, I don't mind.