Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to survive when your family eats junk food—help!

I do not know where to start. My immediate family (Husband, tweens) support me verbally, but they continue to eat lots of processed food, fast food, etc. I’ve asked that they keep that stuff in the pantry, but the request is ignored. (He actually brought home a case of Girl Scout Cookies tonight!). I can ignore the take-out and fast food for myself, but I get really depressed when I make something I can eat for the whole family they take a few bites (like slightly seasoned taco meat) and head for the bag of chips. I knew this was going to be an issue before surgery, but I brushed off how hard it would become mentally since I’m struggling to find a good eating pattern at 7 weeks post-op and find myself still drinking one shake a day to get 1/2 of my Protein. Has anyone else encountered this problem and how did you get over the emotional/mental block of everyone in your house being the exact opposite of you? I should clarify that I’m not preachy or pushy with them regarding diet since getting the sleeve was my choice, but I need to get more animal protein in the house for me at least. (Tuna is not tolerated—so that’s out. eggs are too since I’m allergic to egg whites). I’m really sick of Beans and cheeses at this point and almost caved with with McDonald’s fries last night when they were brought home. I’d also appreciate if anyone has any go to meat based recipes that freeze well in small portions that they could share, so I can wean off my reliance on shakes.
thanks for listening. My head and heart needed to vent.

Aww sorry your going through that. I can definitely relate. I try and meal prep for myself every 4 days. And then cook other foods for my family. If I make them spaghetti, I’ll make extra meat for me. I try and do stuff like that. I’ve been eating a lot of frozen cooked sausage like jimmy deans. It’s so easy to heat up. Probably not the best but that’s my go to. I like to buy the chicken that is individually packaged that way I won’t have to waste extra.

I do turkey burger and break it up it into 6-8 portions, I do chicken burger and smash it down into a Pizza Crust to do little pizzas, jimmy dean turkey sausages, and I even found that crab meat has been really nice.

Most ground meats (specifically turkey) is easily freezable and versatile. I'm sorry your family is doing that to you. Mine keeps forgetting and doing the same thing, so it's hard when I go into the cabinet and see all their yummy stuff.

One of my favorite go-tos lately has been laughing cow cheese spread onto deli turkey (I found boar's head cajun turkey to be the tastiest for me) and it's good Protein for everything.

Good luck, hon. ❤️ You're doing great.

1 hour ago, Sammi_Katt said:

I do turkey burger and break it up it into 6-8 portions, I do chicken burger and smash it down into a Pizza Crust to do little pizzas, jimmy dean turkey sausages, and I even found that crab meat has been really nice.

Most ground meats (specifically turkey) is easily freezable and versatile. I'm sorry your family is doing that to you. Mine keeps forgetting and doing the same thing, so it's hard when I go into the cabinet and see all their yummy stuff.

One of my favorite go-tos lately has been laughing cow cheese spread onto deli turkey (I found boar's head cajun turkey to be the tastiest for me) and it's good Protein for everything.

Good luck, hon. ❤️ You're doing great.

Thanks for the ideas. I tried some deli turkey too soon I think at week 4/5 and it didn’t set well. I’ll have to try again now that I’m more healed. I did find a recipe for meatballs using ground chicken that I’m going to try. I’ve never been a meatball fan, but I’m thinking I’ll soon become one. 😊

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

highly suggested course of action

911534635_tenor(4).gif.a20382fda5697189687a354b8f602992.gif

😂. I laugh, but you are so right.

Game on! Hold ON ...... this is your house and you are the wife and MOM!

If i was you i would turn into Crazy b***h and go off on all of them!~ You go ape **** crazy they will understand your point!

I see it as a sign of disrespect to you! Now you have to be a little understanding the teenagers are demons in disguise

Not that this will work but in My house We each of a area to keep our food. You leave you F@#ckin Junk food where i can see it - You my as well say goodbye to it.

I cook for them all the time Some good Some unhealthy but i have my mind in order so i realize that i had 50 plus great years of abusing my body with crap food, So it does not bother me

Edited by AJ Tylo

I got so mad at my son one day for eating my tuna that I fixed each of us a space in our own cupboard. Out of sight out of mind does help me, until I remember the junk is there.

This is something I worry about in my household too. Hubby needs to lose weight, but isn't on board with that right now, so he still eats a lot of unhealthy meals that I don't touch. I don't really mind though (at this point) because it is fresh in my head why I'm eating differently than he is. I'm hoping that he will start to see the changes in me and want them for himself. But til then, it's a bag of corn chips every other night. Stay strong!

12 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

Game on! Hold ON ...... this is your house and you are the wife and MOM!

If i was you i would turn into Crazy b***h and go off on all of them!~ You go ape **** crazy they will understand your point!

I see it as a sign of disrespect to you! Now you have to be a little understanding the teenagers are demons in disguise

Not that this will work but in My house We each of a area to keep our food. You leave you F@#ckin Junk food where i can see it - You my as well say goodbye to it.

I cook for them all the time Some good Some unhealthy but i have my mind in order so i realize that i had 50 plus great years of abusing my body with crap food, So it does not bother me

Thank you for the validation. I’ll going to try the individual area route and if that doesn’t work—garbage can it goes. In fact, I did a small clean out today and so far no one has noticed.

Your family is mine. My mom and brother haven't changed their diet one bit. I've had a few private crying fits and yelled at them a few times about it. They say apologetic things but nothing changes.

I'm 7 months out now but it's still infuriating they eat without care just because they know I can't eat it.

I keep telling them that SEEING it and SMELLING it just reminds me of what I can't have and it doesn't make me feel good remembering what I can't/shouldn't eat anymore. It gets easier (not easy but easier) not to crave it. Getting into the 'Regular/Forever' foods stage around 4 months post-op helped.

Update: husband moved GS Cookies out to the garage since I do not spend time out there and he pointed out that he quit buying soda last week (I didn’t notice since soda isn’t my vice) since he felt he didn’t “need” it and was getting concerned that one kid was drinking up to 3 cans a day which he felt was excessive. So, small steps/victory. I appreciate everyone’s support here!