Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Gastric bypass are you in a lot of pain ? Do you get pain medicine, if yes what type

You will probably be in some type of pain. From the incisions to the gas pain in your shoulder. Yes you get pain meds. liquid codine, Percocet or Norco. After a few days it can be managed with liquid Tylenol.

The pain can vary from person to person, I typically have a very hard time the first 3 days pretty severe then being much better by end of the week in any surgery. This one was 2 days in hospital for pain control for me. By the end of the week I was much better. I stayed sore for 3-4 weeks but that was not abnormal they said. Because your stomach is your core and it cuts thru muscles it may be more difficult for some people like me. But some have no problem hardly at all. The will prescribe a liquid pain med, usually Vicodin or Percocet although Im not sure why that is important to know the name of it at this point. I am in pain management and they made me just chew up my pills because supposedly they said it’s hard to get liquid Percocet filled supposedly. Well this turned out to be untrue but I found out after I filled my pill script and it was not pleasant since Tylenol is disgusting so I took it with a pill swallowing help liquid & lots of zofran. It didn’t matter since they had to give me stronger meds for a week anyways so I ended up being able to take small pills without Tylenol whole then. If you do not have pain management issues like me & herniated discs & surgeries under your belt, then you shld be good to be off any meds except like Tylenol within a week after surgery. I believe my surgeon gave enough for a week of dosing every 4-6 hrs to regular patients not under Pain contract.

pain is all across the board. Some people have a lot, some people have none at all. I've been hanging out on bariatric internet boards for over five years, and it seems like a majority of us have little to no pain, however. They'll send you home with something for the pain. I never opened mine because I had no pain. But if you're one of the unfortunate ones who do, the meds will help - just take the meds to keep on top of it.

Thanks Ok was wondering, am allergic to certain pain meds that’s why I was wondering what type of pain meds they prescribed.

12 minutes ago, angiepip said:

Thanks Ok was wondering, am allergic to certain pain meds that’s why I was wondering what type of pain meds they prescribed.

just let them know about your allergy so they can give you something that you'll be able to tolerate. You may not even need them, but let them know just in case.

I had trouble controlling my pain with this surgery and actually got a full prescription when leaving the hospital and another at my first post op appointment. I was much better at week 3. Everyone is different!

I had very little discomfort post op. My surgery was done laparoscopically. About 3 days of gas pain, then none. Have had more issues with nausea than pain. It is a learning curve as to which foods cause nausea for me.

I had no pain from the actual surgery, but I was uncomfortable AF from the gas.

Couldn't lie down for about a week and a half.

I got codeine phosphate from the hospital but my dr gave me dihydrocodeine which was much better and stronger.

I'm 4wks post op now and absolutely no pain.