Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nicotine test

When do they do the nicotine test prior to surgery

depends on the surgeon. I had mine a few weeks before. Some do the test a few weeks before AND right before the surgery.

How do they test blood or urine test

2 minutes ago, angiepip said:

How do they test blood or urine test

blood

How many surgeons require a nicotine test? What happens if it's positive?

2 hours ago, JRT Mom said:

How many surgeons require a nicotine test? What happens if it's positive?

Most (not all) surgeons require you to be several weeks without nicotine. My surgeon said 2 months no nicotine. They have special tests to test whether you have actually smoked or been in the presence of smoke. I personally quit smoking in 2018 so I didn't have to worry. Some may test no matter what, some may not test if you tell them you are a non-smoker. There is no one set system. But I imagine they may tell you that surgery is off until you prove you can go a certain amount of time without nicotine.

But it's for a good reason. Those who smoke will have a harder time with anesthesia/respiratory and you heal a lot slower as a smoker. Plus the extra strain on your heart and lungs is obviously a danger on top of being overweight.

Good luck! 👍

My surgeon just asked me if I smoked (which I don't) and when I said no I guess that was enough, because he never tested me.

I guess the reason is good, but I just feel bad for smokers. I don't really like being around it much, but they ARE doing something totally legal, are most likely truly addicted to it, are spending TONS of money to indulge, and are often discriminated against. Add on top of that obesity and then a surgeon won't help them because they smoke? So they have to give up smoking AND eating--must be one of the toughest things to do mentally and physically!

@JRT Mom you are absolutely correct. I had to quit smoking or they would not operate and it was extremely hard. The only thing that helped me is the cardiologist told me to go for a heart ultrasound. During the ultrasound I found out I had mild mitral valve regurgitation. It isn't life threatening but it was enough to help me quit. Now I'm on my preop liquid diet and it has been really difficult because after I quit smoking I used eating even more to alleviate stress. This entire process has been difficult. They found H.pylori so now I'm in antibiotics and I have to get an abdominal ultrasound tomorrow because my liver enzyme test numbers are really high. It seems like they find something new with every appointment! But as difficult as it has been I wouldn't trade it for the world! I count myself blessed to learn these about myself before they became really bad and I am doing something about it. Also I'm taking back control of my health and my life. It's been a rocky road but I'm sure I'll be happy on the other side of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

They want you to have good, healthy, oxygenated blood for your surgery. This will help with the healing process as well. They test for continue and most want you to be 4 weeks clean. I was reading in another forum where the lady said she kept flunking her drug test. Which she admitted she smokes weed. So a heads up to anyone engaging in that as well.