Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with preop diet

My surgery is scheduled for March 2nd and I started the liquid diet on Feb 17th. How did you guys get through this part? I'm struggling super bad with it today. I was prepared to smell food once today because my boyfriend needed to make his supper. However i was not prepared to to his brothers and smell hamburgers and French fries, was.not prepared for his mother to pull through taco bell for food, and was not prepared for my niece to come over with Arbys! These are all foods i enjoy and miss and it killed me today. I got had a break down and the got super moody and went to take a nap.

I'm allowed Protein Drinks, broth, and Stevie sweetened drinks (got a bunch of Water mix in packs) and unsweetened Decaf tea.

Any advice guys? I'm 8 days from my surgery and trying not to cheat. But it is so tempting to go scramble up an egg!

It's all about willpower.

I got through it (and the food my roommates had) by looking up bariatric recipes for similar items that I could have once I had my surgery. Looking at all the good food I'd be able to have once I was done helped me through it.

It's tough, but you've got this. I went to bed early and woke up late, started "eating" as late as possible, and was able to make it to bed not hungry. In eight days, you'll be on your way to a new you. Just hang in there, and you can do it. ❤️

You can do this!! It's mind over matter. We don't have much longer to go! Pretty much half way there. It's just food, and fat, it doesn't control you anymore. Tell yourself that everytime. Feel yourself already being stronger. It's a new you, the old you who would eat that is gone, there is no looking back.

You might want to try Bone Broth. The Swanson chicken bone broth is pretty good, it gives you some Protein (which helps you feel less hungry) and it's a break from the sweetness of the protein drinks. Good luck!

yep - a lot of us have been through it. I thought it was the most difficult part of the process. You'll just have to white knuckle it - it'll soon all be over!

16 hours ago, skyewolfe said:

My surgery is scheduled for March 2nd and I started the liquid diet on Feb 17th. How did you guys get through this part? I'm struggling super bad with it today. I was prepared to smell food once today because my boyfriend needed to make his supper. However i was not prepared to to his brothers and smell hamburgers and French fries, was.not prepared for his mother to pull through taco bell for food, and was not prepared for my niece to come over with Arbys! These are all foods i enjoy and miss and it killed me today. I got had a break down and the got super moody and went to take a nap.

I'm allowed Protein Drinks, broth, and Stevie sweetened drinks (got a bunch of Water mix in packs) and unsweetened Decaf tea.

Any advice guys? I'm 8 days from my surgery and trying not to cheat. But it is so tempting to go scramble up an egg!

I know this pain too well! My surgery is in a day and a half. I have been on the liquid diet for OVER two weeks. I admit, I cheated and had crackers on day 4, but after a friend whose had RNY told me that they may close me back up if my liver wasn't shrunk enough, it scared me straight!

I began to experiment with different drinks, Protein drinks and Soups. I am allowed soups without chunks. I found I really liked broccoli cheddar from Campbell's. Mixed with some fat free milk. It's not Arby's, but it's palatable.

After a while, you'll eventually start to get used to it and I actually don't feel like eating much right now at all. I have to force myself. Fast food commercials are still a little hard to watch, but I try not to do that to myself. I know it's not something I can't return to anyways. You have to get into a new headspace. This is life changing!

I wish you all the best of luck. Sending prayers and positive thoughts. ❤️

My surgery is Thursday! I had a few ounces of deli ham yesterday! I left off my Protein Shake. I felt shaky and just got to the point I felt I had to have something! I know it wasn't the right thing to do but it was purely Protein. We are all human and if I had to bet money I would bet most everyone cheats in some way! At least I didn't cheat with carbs or something really bad. This morning I went to church and we take the Lord's supper with a medicine size cup with grape juice and an oyster cracker to represent the blood and body of Christ. I told my husband I don't know if I should participate or not. I sat there and thought you know I am going to participate as I always do, I know the Lord will take care of me. On the way home I told my family like wow I got the biggest cracker in the plate. I think the Lord just blessed me by having me grab the biggest oyster cracker on the plate! They were dying!😂

From what I read the pre-op diet is for shrinking the liver so surgeon can operate easier.

Has anyone cheated where it caused complications for surgery?
I am new in here and I haven’t received my surgery date yet but I need to start my liquid diet and I’m having a hard time with it.

Audietx -

lots of us have been on that diet. I never cheated - many of us didn't. In my opinion, it's the worst part of this whole ordeal. You just have to white knuckle it. It does get better after about the third day...

also, if you are on no- and ultra-low calorie fluids only (and Protein Shakes of course), you can probably do sugar free Jello. I ate that with abandon because it was the only thing that somewhat resembled real food. So there's that...

Edited by catwoman7

43 minutes ago, Audietx said:

Has anyone cheated where it caused complications for surgery?
I am new in here and I haven’t received my surgery date yet but I need to start my liquid diet and I’m having a hard time with it.

I did cheat on mine. Even had a piece of pizza two days before (my sugar dropped to 52 and it was the first thing i saw in the kitchen because it was my boyfriends supper) Didn't cause any complications. But, still, try not to cheat.

The main purpose of the diet is to shrink the liver. So my doctor said that as long as i mostly followed the diet I would be fine.

One thing I did learn though from cheating, after being on the liquid diet for 1 1/2 weeks before cheating, solid food made me sick.

It's been a week into my pre-op diet. I'm having my surgery done on the 16th of March. for the past 2 days I haven't been able to drink the Protein shakes... I have tried and i threw them up. I'm not sure why but I have been feeling super queasy lately. I have tried calling my dietician, but the phone hangs up on me every time. I have eaten more veggies tho being on this diet.... definitely makes you feel like your starving, not sure if that's cheating or not.... I'm going to try to get my shakes down again today... have been drinking plenty of liquids... Decaf coffee, Water, water w wylers - SF, chicken broth, decaf tea....