Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slimband - Class Action Lawsuit 2020

On 2/21/2020 at 1:58 PM, HMKW said:

Good Day All,

Long story short, I'd like to know if anyone has heard of a class action lawsuit that has been started? If you haven't but would like to be, I would like to start a petition of sorts so I can get a ballpark of numbers to give the lawyer. There is a good lawyer in London Ontario that I have contacted previously, but unless there are numbers, there's no point.

In Oct 2013 I had the band placed in a rush of fury by their lies and pressure tactics. After 6 months of not being able to drink Water without it coming back up, they finally agreed to remove it. Shortly after the removal I found out I was pregnant (not expected I could even get pregnant because of the malnutrition), but because I couldn't keep any nutrients down before and after removal, the baby never stood a chance. I had to have a emergency dilation of my esophagus twice and still can't have thick liquids without it coming up. I also just applied to have correct weight loss surgery, and was denied because they won't touch patients that have previously had a band. Now I've reached my limit and reading all of these other horror stories, something needs to be done.

Signing on the dotted line in this case is bullshit. The clinic was shut down it was so bad, so clearly these signatures should be null and void too.

I am not asking for extensive information, but if you would like to see how far this could go, please just leave your name and year Slimband screwed you over./

Much thanks, and power to us people ;)

Holly M - Waterloo Ontario

I also would like too be apart of this. There’s no eating pea sized cut meat and chewing it forever and it actually going down. I lost 160lbs by vomiting up pretty much everything. My Iron levels are non existent, my hair is falling out and I’m just plain weak. 340lbs felt like heaven compared too the hell I deal with now on times. Then the company all but disappeared. They called a couple times after the surgery and that was it. You tell them there’s something not right, chew more. I can’t hardly get Water down.

I’d be curious about this as well and joining in the lawsuit.

I had skin and installed July 2011 and I never lost anything, vomiting after, many fills and still no success. I moved from Ontario to Edmonton and I saw a doctor and they discovered the band had slipped onto my esophagus, I predict it was there all along! I eventually had it removed because of all my restrictions and in 2015 I went under the knife. Severe scar tissue was found on my esophagus so I still have restrictions and servers acid reflux. When they removed the band laparoscopic my bowels were pinched off and I ended up in emergency and had a Howe resection. They removed 10cm of my lower intestine!

I was just over 200lbs before surgery, I should have never had the surgery in the first place. I suffer from binge eating disorder and they should’ve had proper staff! Dr yau performed my surgery.

FB006FDC-A0DF-4877-9C3B-15CFE7BC4A60.jpeg

Hi all just contacted my nurse prac. for a referral to a surgeon for removal. I've put it off long enough, I think part of it was shaming myself for falling for the "slimband" marketing scheme. I was implanted 2015 lost maybe 50 pounds and have gained it all back . years of stomach pain etc all the same stories as everyone else in this thread. I really think that this creates metabolic syndrome and makes it impossible to lose after a while. I see a lot about lawsuits But slimband was manufactured by cousin biotech in France not allergen unless it's owned by allergan? I have my wallet card with lot numbers still that slimband and gave me. My email is pcaravaggio68@gmail.com if anyone would like to message. I would be more then happy to help with a class action and get info from others gathered for this if needed. We need to fight this and bring it to attention at least get back part of our money.

I am also interested in joining the law suit. I’ve lost nothing. I gained tho. My port flipped a day after surgery. I have days where nothing will go down ... so I don’t eat. If I have to drink another tea or coffee before eating I’m going to go crazy. I can’t lay on hard surfaces (the floor) on my stomach because it hurts. I am basically bulimic. When I have to bring food back up, I can’t stop throwing up, nothing comes out, but I keep going ... it hurts. Pretty sure my gag reflex is messed up. I had mine put in in Toronto, in 2009. I am so over this.

On 2/22/2021 at 1:31 PM, Blackmo3 said:

I also would like too be apart of this. There’s no eating pea sized cut meat and chewing it forever and it actually going down. I lost 160lbs by vomiting up pretty much everything. My Iron levels are non existent, my hair is falling out and I’m just plain weak. 340lbs felt like heaven compared too the hell I deal with now on times. Then the company all but disappeared. They called a couple times after the surgery and that was it. You tell them there’s something not right, chew more. I can’t hardly get Water down.

I'm having the same problems, Iron, hair, etc etc, I've had 4 blood transfusions and still need to go for another one soon

I had Slimband Oct 3, 2013. I have not lost any weight and have to be very careful when I eat or it comes right back up. I would love to get in on a class action.

I was banded in 2012 and I’ve had nothing but problems. I suffer from excruciating pain daily.

I would love to get on a class action, Count me in

Edited by Tanya1976

Hey All,

I had lapband in at slim and 2008 it's still inside me doing nothing. I know that there is a Dr David urbach that will remove them but he will say that he knows nothing about them and it's covered under Ohip. I would love to have mine removed and possibly have the sleeve done but it's not covered. I too would love to get in on a class action lawsuit I believe many moons ago many years ago someone attempted this and it just didn't go anywhere productive.

4 hours ago, KreemyPeach said:

Hey All,

I had lapband in at slim and 2008 it's still inside me doing nothing. I know that there is a Dr David urbach that will remove them but he will say that he knows nothing about them and it's covered under Ohip. I would love to have mine removed and possibly have the sleeve done but it's not covered. I too would love to get in on a class action lawsuit I believe many moons ago many years ago someone attempted this and it just didn't go anywhere productive.

hey here is the link i used to contact them. if you hear anything back let me know..its been a year no news but they did tell me last year that they were in beginning stages

https://rosenberglaw.ca/class-actions/lap-band-class-action/

On 6/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ann Andrew said:

My daughter and I both have bands by Slimband and would like to join in your lawsuit. We both have issues eating regular foods. I can only tolerate soft foods. Because of the vomiting, I have now a hernia which makes it even more difficult to eat. I have gained more weight then when I started 2012/2014

I would love to hear back from you regarding this matter..... THANK YOU!!!!

I had the band in Jan 2012, horrible experience many hospital visit, a revision and it got worse. Finally had it removed. But very upset with everything I went through. Do you know of a lawyer in Ottawa that could help me?

So am I. I sent two emails but have not received a reply .

On 6/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ann Andrew said:

My daughter and I both have bands by Slimband and would like to join in your lawsuit. We both have issues eating regular foods. I can only tolerate soft foods. Because of the vomiting, I have now a hernia which makes it even more difficult to eat. I have gained more weight then when I started 2012/2014

I would love to hear back from you regarding this matter..... THANK YOU!!!!