Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guessing weight loss vs true weight loss

I had my first appointment with surgeon yesterday. It was a little disappointing when he said I could expect to loss about 70 to 80 lbs. While that is a lot and I would love that weight loss, I was actually hoping to hear more like 100 lbs. Now I realize this is just a guess, and it all depends on my body and how diligent I am regarding activity and diet afterwards. However I was wondering if any one else got a number like this and surpassed the expectation of the doctors first expectations? I am looking at the sleeve I am currently 264 lbs and would like to be closer to 150 lbs. I remember myself at that weight and it was a very healthy weight for me. However this would more like a weight loss of 115 lbs. Just looking for some inspiration that my goal is possible. Thank you.

They have no clue as to where you will bottom out - NO way to tell - I was told to expect 65 -90 pounds He missed it by a bunch - I am trying to stop losing weight but my body still wants to lose! I can shred weight by working out and eating right or i can slow it down by adding calories. You will be able to regulate where you want to be so do not worry to much about the guess by the doctor, Everybody is different some people stall out while others just keep losing - SImply put its up to your behavior and eating habits

@Mimiwumba

My surgeon said, expect to lose 60% of your weight with the sleeve. ( It's a guideline based on statistics) A 70 to 80 pounds loss sounds fabulous to me. If you lose more than expected, its a bonus

Try not to compare your weight loss with others on this site. It will make you crazy, 😉

I hear what you're saying and understand being bummed. I felt that same way after my first meeting with my surgeon. As everyone said, they base it on national averages and statistics set by the ASMBS and the AMA. But it's also based a little bit on what is going on with our lives. The docs MUST follow standard of care when treating and part of that means they give those same percentages.

This surgery is largely what you decide to make of it. It's not an easy journey. But it was by far the best journey I ever chose to take. Cuz even if I lost that 60% given to me in the very beginning? I would be so much better off than where I was.

And as @GreenTealael said, a 70-80lb loss is FABULOUS!!

yes - a lot of us hear that. They're quoting the average. As with any "average", there are people who lose more or less than that. If you work really hard at it, there's no reason you can't lose 100% of your excess weight. There are a lot of us around who have done it.

I think they mean 70% of your excess weight. For me that would have been about 70 pounds. But.... I lost over 100 pounds in 7 months, so I basically lost 100% of my excess weight, regardless of what the statistics and the doctor said. I followed my eating plan 100% and focused a lot on exercise. The stats say that those who follow the plan and exercise will lose more and will keep it off more successfully, so there is some responsibility on your part, although there are no guarantees.

Even a mere 20 pounds will make a huge difference in your overall health. Your BP, blood sugars, and cholesterol will drop and you will extend your life.

WLS is a step of faith in some sense. It is a great tool, and you can do your part, but the overall results are still variable.

3 hours ago, AZhiker said:

I think they mean 70% of your excess weight.

That is correct about the percentage. I've lost almost 173 lbs since starting the journey and 132lbs since surgery day.

12 hours ago, Mimiwumba said:

I had my first appointment with surgeon yesterday. It was a little disappointing when he said I could expect to loss about 70 to 80 lbs. While that is a lot and I would love that weight loss, I was actually hoping to hear more like 100 lbs.

I have had appointments with 3 surgeons overt the last few weeks and when the question of "expected weight loss" comes in all three were very conservative in the numbers with a range of 60 to 70 lbs in one year. I am assuming they keep the suggested weight loss numbers within reason, this way the expectations are more realistic and there is less disappointment when the weight loss begins to slow down

Like you, I would like to loose 100 pounds, even more if I can, I have done it before, in fact more than once using non surgical methods. I would not focus on the expected or desired weight loss but more on keeping whatever pounds that do come off from returning... this is where I have failed constantly.

I am hoping the surgery will help me break my yo-yo weight loss history.

They set a goal based on averages. That doesnt mean you will stop losing weight when you reach their goal. I used their goal as my first goal weight... but knowing my ultimate goal was 135. I hit their goal weight a couple months ago. At 5 1/2 months out, I am 145 and am fairly certain I will hit MY goal within 2 months.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app