Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No weigh lost in a month

I had RNY in November 2019. Overall I have lost 40lbs since the surgery, but I have not lost anything in the last month. I had a routine doctor appt with my GP a month ago, and I was 276, and I still am. it has fluctuated a little, ranging between 278 and 273. I'm taking my Vitamins, getting my Protein, eating about 1000 calories a day and logging my food. I am exercising. I know I could do more exercise, but my schedule is a little crazy right now (I do taxes for a living so real busy time of year plus a couple kids).

I just really wish I could figure out what is going on. Does this happen to other people? I have read about stalls but usually what people describe is a week or two, not a whole month. My sex drive is non existent as well, and I don't know if that is a symptom of why I am not losing, or a result of being depressed over not losing.

I have a follow up with my surgeon in 2 weeks, and unfortunately I can't really move that up at all, because of my schedule and he is an hour away. I've been slow to lose the whole time since surgery, but the nurtritionist and the surgeon weren't worried last time I saw them. I know that even just the 40lbs is great, better than I could do before the surgery, but it is just really hard to be doing everything and not seeing results now. This is what I always encountered before and why I ended up with surgery, so if this doesn't work, I have no more options.

Congrats on the 40 lbs.

Just wanted to start off with I am a big guy over 410lbs before my surgery on 02/03/20.

I am only 1 month out from my surgery, but 1000 calories a day seems like alot.

It could be because I am only a month out , but I struggle to get in 300 - 500 /day.

I would call your nutritionist and validate how much you are suppose to be taking in at this point.

Good luck with everything.

At my last appointment in December she told me I should be doing the 1000 calories. Otherwise I would have been still at 500-800. She suggested at the time the reason I was losing so slowly was because I wasn't eating enough and my body was hoarding the calories. But I have emailed her to see if there is anything she wants me to do or change. Just waiting to hear back.

It took me 2 to 3 months to be able to get to the point I could manage anything above the 500 mark. And there are days I don't make it to that, but being back on a "normal" diet with the wider variety of tolerable foods helped. I still never get up to the carb amount she wanted me at, but I don't worry too much as long as I have my Protein.

500- 800 good clean calories worked for me! especially if you are light on the exercise. Try dropping down in calories see if that works

1000 kcal Is too much I'm over 3 months out and still only get like 700cal a day...

I only went to 1000 because my NUT told me to. I am still waiting for a response from her, but meanwhile I am dropping back down to 800. It does still baffle me, in general, that someone can't lose eating that few calories. What goes on in my body!

You'll have times where you stall for a few weeks then start losing again. It's just your body adjusting some.

I recently broke a stall that had me fluctuating between 237 and 240 lbs.

I would definitely talk to your nutritionist. I'm only 2 weeks post surgery, but at the first post-op meeting with one of the nutritionists at the hospital I use they said 700-1000 calories a day is the expected range, so if your carbs are low and Protein high it may not be a caloric issue, it may just be a stall. In fact, I know of people who have a stall and are told to increase their calories, just like you were.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:46 AM, Ab235g said:

Congrats on the 40 lbs.

Just wanted to start off with I am a big guy over 410lbs before my surgery on 02/03/20.

I am only 1 month out from my surgery, but 1000 calories a day seems like alot.

It could be because I am only a month out , but I struggle to get in 300 - 500 /day.

I would call your nutritionist and validate how much you are suppose to be taking in at this point.

Good luck with everything.

I am curious how you get enough Protein in each day at 300 calories? Does that include the calories in Protein Drinks? Even my Bone Broth has 50 calories.

Losing 40 lbs is awesome. I went through the same thing. I lost about 40-50 lbs for the first three months after my surgery didn't move much for about a month. I talked to the Doctor about six weeks post op your body will stall so that it can adjust to what's happening. Stalls are okay, it's just your body adjusting to the rapid weight loss.