Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not much longer. I wiggled on my side after about 2 weeks. Then as it felt OK I slowly got back to stomach sleaping. Now 6weeks post op I'm totally on my stomach all night xx

its coming try a little side action for now or i chose to sleep in a recliner for a few nights

I slept propped up on the couch for a couple weeks before I could even lay in bed.

Not sure if many had same experience as me, but slept on my back (-ish), propped on like 4-5 pillows for a while. I think maybe almost 2 months.

I got so used to it that more often than not, I'm on my back even now, (without all the pillows) at 1+ year post op. I very rarely sleep on my stomach anymore.

Edited by ms.sss

I'm a side-sleeper. I had to sleep propped up with pillows and on my back for almost a month. The incisional and gas pain was gone within a week or 2, but I still couldn't return to my side because it sort of felt like my guts were shifting around (towards gravity). It wasn't painful, just weird and uncomfortable.

Like ms.sss above, I still frequently sleep on my back and still propped up with pillows to help with any possible reflux.

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

Not sure if many had same experience as me, but slept on my back (-ish), propped on like 4-5 pillows for a while. I think maybe almost 2 months.

I got so used to it that more often than not, I'm on my back even now, (without all the pillows) at 1+ year post op. I very rarely sleep on my stomach anymore.

Me too! I was never a back sleeper and now I am mostly on my back, and it's a deep sleep!

43 minutes ago, Lynda486 said:

Me too! I was never a back sleeper and now I am mostly on my back, and it's a deep sleep!

Did you snore before?

I sounded like a bulldozer (so says Mr.) pre-wls, and if I rolled only my back while sleeping, it would make it worse and I'd even wake myself up sometimes.

Now that I don't snore anymore (in the beginning Mr. told me he would check if I was still breathing in the middle of the night, I was so quiet), I find back sleeping no prob. :)

...oh and also, laying on my side hurts my knees or my hips, so I don't do that for very long.

I was sleeping on my stomach about four days after the vsg, and about two weeks after my gallbladder removal.

It depends on what you do in your sleep and how comfortable you are. Just go slow and your body will tell you when it's okay. :)

I used to snore occasionally, now post op I don't. I agree that my hips and knees don't like me laying on my sides for long.

Gosh - I feel quite guilty - I could sleep on my side from day 1!

My other half says that I no longer snore when I roll onto my back now - how fantastic is that?!

I didnt even think of this. I have surgery in a week and have slept on my stomach as long as I can remember.

Tried to sleep on my back dozens of times to help with some back issues and I could never do it. How screwed will I be

16 hours ago, Xx1jpt5xx said:

I didnt even think of this. I have surgery in a week and have slept on my stomach as long as I can remember.

Tried to sleep on my back dozens of times to help with some back issues and I could never do it. How screwed will I be

You may just get used to it (as it looks alot of us on here have ;) ). Also, you would be able to sort of "ease" into back sleeping because you will likely be propped up on pillows for the first little while.

Good luck with your surgery!

On 2/20/2020 at 5:45 AM, Xolosing said:

Hi all. I had my sleeve done on February 18th and I’m so tired of sleeping on my back. Im so used to sleeping on my stomach. How long will it take so I can lay on my stomach and go to sleep?

I bought a body pillow and that helped me