Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,
I have been contemplating surgery for many years. Since I’m a 52 year old Hispanic divorcée I think I’m family’s ready to proceed. I had considered it before but due to finances I was unable to proceed. So my yo yo weight story is just too crazy. Although I have always had some extra pounds since childhood recently with more health issues and death of fam members I need to get control of this.

I’m 5’5” with current weight of 264 lbs. and have been as high as 294. Over the last year I did loose 30 but have hit a plateau. No matter what I do I can’t get down to the 210 I weighed 8 years ago. My pre surgery consult was rescheduled (due to scheduler issue with providers staff) and now I’m really concerned. Is this a sign? I have read many threads and can see many wonderful success stories but still apprehensive. So currently I’m diabetic, hypertension, and anxiety/depression. Recently lost my system at age 54 due to diabetes and heart disease. My father and sister had quadrupled bypass but at this point my heart is good.

Any advice is appreciated. Are there specific questions I should have for the surgeon? My appointment is March 19th.

Geraldo

Get Er Done! You will never be happier and healthier - My only advice is this is a journey and get you mind and body ready for it.

DO NOT GOOGLE THINKING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSE SURGERY - JUST READ THIS ENTIRE SITE

AJ Tylo thank you for the advice. I have been reading many posts here and I do want to proceed with surgery. .

My first question would be what type of surgery does your doctor recommend and why? Your doctor should able to explain why the type they recommend is best for you given your health history. As for other questions, read and research. Make sure you write down any questions that come to mind as you are reading so you can remember to ask your doctor.

I have friends who have had the Sleeve and they have been very successful. One friend who had the bypass had lost 100 lbs. but did not maintain due to lack of motivation and stopped going to the gym. I know I had done it before without surgery but I also realize that I'm a little older at this point. I thought it would be silly for me at this point to consider surgery but I need to do something to improve my health.

Does anyone recommend a specific diet at this time? Has anyone started a bariatric surgery diet before their actual surgery and how long before?

I wouldn't take the rescheduling as a sign. The surgeon could be going to a conference that week or has a family wedding or something. Who knows. I just got a call from my endocrinologist's office to reschedule an appt to two weeks later. I didn't think anything of it.

13 minutes ago, Geraldo67 said:

I have friends who have had the Sleeve and they have been very successful. One friend who had the bypass had lost 100 lbs. but did not maintain due to lack of motivation and stopped going to the gym. I know I had done it before without surgery but I also realize that I'm a little older at this point. I thought it would be silly for me at this point to consider surgery but I need to do something to improve my health.

Does anyone recommend a specific diet at this time? Has anyone started a bariatric surgery diet before their actual surgery and how long before?

You won't be able to do a bariatric diet as after surgery you can only get about 500 to 600 calories per day which is waaaaay to low with a normal stomach. I just did a reduced calorie diet using MyFitnessPal to track everything I ate. I started out with 2400 calories per day suggested by MFP to lose two pounds per week in July of 2019. After about a month I dropped down to about 2000 calories per day and was able stick to that. By November I was able to go to 1600 to 1800 calories per day. I did have days where I had a ton, I went to Vegas in September and took a break, but I got back after it when I got back home. I also started exercising 4 to 5 days a week. That also helped. Working on good habits prior to surgery will help you after surgery. So do what you can and build off of that.

1 hour ago, Geraldo67 said:

I don't know how old you are, but there are a lot of us in our 50s and 60s who have had the surgery. I've been hanging out on bariatric internet forums since before I had surgery five years ago. The only person I've ever heard of who was supposedly "too old" for surgery was 78...and for all I know, he may have had other health issues as well that factored into that.

20 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I don't know how old you are, but there are a lot of us in our 50s and 60s who have had the surgery. I've been hanging out on bariatric internet forums since before I had surgery five years ago. The only person I've ever heard of who was supposedly "too old" for surgery was 78...and for all I know, he may have had other health issues as well that factored into that.

Right there with you! Though I mentally, and very seriously feel 35-40 (sometimes even younger😅)...I will, in fact, be 66 later this month😲. My surgery is 3/11/20 and it’s because I want my body to catch up with my youthful mind set!! I want to MOVE, stay STRONG, AGILE, MOTIVATED, LAUGHING, living and loving life! All the more reason for us to do it!👌😃😅

I am 73 years old and I was sleeved this past Wed 19th. All of my doctors said I was a good candidate despite my age and autoimmune disease. You are not too old.

It is Great to hear there are other ppl out there in their 50's and have had surgery. I'm 52 but feel as if I was only in my 30's. My 33 year old son always says I need to grow up. I do enjoy life and try to get out as much as possible. I would say the leading factor for surgery is not only health but the need to feel better and get out even more. I have cleaned out the closed and literally only have a few pair of clothes and my scrubs for work. I cannot wait until my consult with the surgeon. I have already been seeing staff at our weight clinic and have been referred for surgery after use of Saxenda Phentermine.