Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2020 Surgery Date

I know this is a ways off but thought it would be good to get a group together that is just starting the 6 month wait till surgery. We can chat about pre-op diet, fitness, relationship with food, insurance, doc appointments, psych evaluation and everything else we will be experiencing in the months to come.

It is looking like I will have an August Surgery date. I just had my first weigh in; I have to have 6. Plus meet with a Psychologist, and a nutritionist.

@sarahredwood Which surgery are you having done? Have you had any lucky with losing weight with the nutritionist? I don't go back for my 2nd weigh in until the 19th, but I think I must have lost a little as my jeans aren't as tight. How many weigh in's do you have to do? I have to do 6.

I hate calling it a weigh in, to me it sounds like a herd of cattle. haha.

Hi guys! I think I’m an August person, too, although I don’t have an official date yet. Just had my second weigh in and I’m down 16 lbs. none of my clothes feel any looser, but that’s more because I only wear black leggings. 😂

Hi @MarigoldSky That's great you are already down 16 lbs. I don't have an official date yet either, so no worries. My 2nd weigh in isn't for 2 weeks, but I know I'm not down that much. I'm thinking maybe 5, if that.

@GrungeGrownUp @sarahredwood Have you guys made appointments yet or completed the psych eval or Upper GI x-ray? Feeling nervous about both.

Hi @GrungeGrownUp and @MarigoldSky. I just had my second appointment with the nutritionist and it went ok. No pounds lost this month but I did notice a lot about my eating habits and I think that will help with this journey.

I do t have an official date yet but hoping for early August. The coordinator said it’s still to early to schedule the surgery.

Not sure which surgery I will have. Do you know?

@sarahredwood I believe I'm getting the sleeve. Have you been to an informational meeting regarding types of surgery?

Hey y'all. I'm midway to (hopefully) August surgery. Had 2 visits, Ultrasound, Upper Quad X-ray and have my sleep study coming up on June 18.

Leaning to the Duodenal Switch after originally going in to start the process for Sleeve, but Dr thinks the DS will give me better results that will last. What surgery have y'all decided on?

No comments on this thread in a couple of months...is everyone hanging in there?

Edited by SL824

I'm still here! Not a lot of updates... I did the Upper GI and hated it. It made me so sick and I vomited the moment I got home. Has this happened to anyone else? I might do a main post about it.

Looks like I'll be having an august surgery! They said either late august or early september - so i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Either late August or September for me! In canada, so a little bit of a different process (I've been seeing my Dr for almost two years now) but i now have formed a lot more healthier habits because of the extra time. Endoscopy on the 24th and then surgery is generally a month out from that! Doing RNY, excited to lose the weight I need to be more active.

Edited by Kadi

I'm scheduled for Aug 16, but my 2 previous dates were cancelled, so it's just wait and see at this point. I was upset the first time, but would be okay if it was postponed again for safety reasons.

In my view, this process won't begin with surgery. The journey started when I made a commitment to doing whatever it takes to get the weight off and keep it off, and become healthy and fit, so am concentrating on making the psychological and lifestyle changes that are needed to be successful long-term.

So far I've lost 40 lbs during the wait/delays. I've worked up to walking 10,000 steps/day plus weight training twice a week, and have cut out all caffeine, sugar, processed foods, and animal products. I already feel better and have more energy than I've in years. Looking forward to the additional benefits and accelerated rate of loss and change after surgery, but every day counts and is a step in the right direction.

My office submitted paperwork to my insurance for approval. Now is a waiting game. My doctor said that my surgery will be most likely done mid August or end. This will be a revision since the sleeve only helped me for 2 years a my stomach pouches dilated throughout those years. Now I'm getting the bypass. Best of luck to all.

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app